Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 42 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 74 reviews
on July 1, 2012
Am I a sugar addict? Yes. I have over 20 "anti-sugar" books - and continue to look for support. This book is not a medical book describing what happens when sugar enters your body. It doesn't give you percentages and graphs and charts. What it DOES do is give you wonderful advice for getting sugar free, detoxing and staying sugar free. The author gives advice on coping with the physical addiction as well as the emotional addition. It's well written in a very tender and compassionate way.

Some "anti-sugar" books talk down to the audience. "Just give up sugar" "stop eating it and find something else to do with your time", "just brush your teeth". Books like this make me feel like the author has no clue what its like to be addicted, allergic or sensitive to sugar. Karly Pitman is extremely empathetic and writes her book in such a way that comforts, educates and inspires.
on July 14, 2013
Pitman clearly knows the mechanics of getting the poison of sugar out of your life but I think the second half of the book is where the real wisdom it. It's not really about sugar, it's about what sugar means to you! Sugar maybe a physical substance but it is only a physical manifestation of non-physical issues. Remember Mary Poppins? A spoon full of sugar makes the medicine go down? That's it in a nut shell. Sugar is used to sweeten the bitterness in your life. Master that bitterness and you have mastered your sugar addiction.
on January 1, 2014
I had been researching sugar addiction for months before I read this book. I was skeptical about another book that would offer the same information. I was really pleased with this one. It stood above the rest because of its emphasis on loving kindness toward yourself. The author encourages readers to take an attitude of curiosity as they explore what their bodies need.

There are also concrete steps to take that are realistic and not overwhelming. I've been abstaining from sugar and it has definitely made me feel better both physically and emotionally.
on July 22, 2016
This book challenged my thinking in all the right ways. The author does a fantastic job at helping change you from the inside out. She has equiped me with words and thoughts I speak over myself when I want to go back to my old habit of using (too much) food for comfort.
If you struggle with overeating ( not just sugar) this book is for you.
Warning: there's a little plot twist at the end that will encourage you further to press on and fight the good fight.
on July 5, 2017
This book started out great. Then the Holiday section came, and it came again, and came again, and came yet again. Once that redundancy started it was just overstatement of everything previously stated in other parts of the book. Word usage or misuse makes this book very unprofessional. It is hard to take her seriously with the redundancy and grammar/sentence structure and word misuse. I suggest cutting this book way down stating everything just once and getting a good editor. What a disappointment.
on November 5, 2012
I've been circling around my sugar addiction for most of my life. I've studied all types of nutritional approaches - macrobiotics, ayurveda, etc., and while they have all helped me understand nutrition, (especially ayurveda, which has helped me understand myself too) no nutritional approach I've studied has given me the support to address my sugar sensitivities, which is my biggest problem by far. Years ago, I read The Sugar Addict's Total Recovery Program, but I couldn't follow through. I figured there had to be another way to greatly reduce eating sugar and stopping the binges (especially fatty, creamy + sugar) other than giving it up. Yes, this is denial. Karly Randolph Pitman gives you the missing link - the compassionate encouragement and understanding that I desperately, desperately needed. I have just finished this book, and even though I have not given up sugar, I already feel better and more confident. With this book, I feel ready to finally address what I need to do, and to do it. And to not be afraid of the challenges that come with it. Because to face these challenges is to grow as a person. I highly, highly recommend this book if you have been struggling with sugar, and thinking the answers to your problems are somewhere "out there." Thank you from the depth of my heart, Karly!
on March 16, 2012
Karly is the only person I have ever heard or read that truly gets the difficult and complex emotional part of sugar, weight and self-love issues. As an RN and Clinical Nutritionist I am fully aware of the dietary and medical implications of sugar consumption which acts as a highly addictive drug. Even armed with excessive knowledge on the subject I still struggle. I help myself often when I ask "What would Karly say in this situation?".

She is so talented and compassionate. There is just no other like her. Her words will inspire and heal. She knows because she's been there and lives our struggles. Her work will exceed your expectations.

Thank you Karly forever!!
on April 25, 2012
Dear Ms. Pitman:
Thank you for sharing your experience on what it is like to becoming free from sugar addiction. Your book gave me courage to kick this awful habit once and for all. I have tried to quit excess sugar consumption many, many , many times before. Today is my first day of being sugar free. I know that it will be a challenge for me, yet I am reminded by your story that it is not impossible to overcome sugar addiction. To all readers who are suffering from sugar addiction, please read this book. Ms. Pitman's story will give you all hope and courage to overcome this addiction once and for all. We are wholesome human beings, no matter what perceived "weaknesses" we may have. Best wishes to everyone who will embark on the journey toward freedom from sugar addiction.
on July 28, 2017
Exactly what I needed to kick my sugar habit. I threw myself a sugar-fest the day after Christmas, 2014, and have avoided eating sugar ever since. This has helped my self-esteem as well as my body, like no other program!
on December 5, 2013
This book is well written, in a friendly non preachy way. I read it through once, then more slowly the second time. Like any addiction giving up sugar is very difficult....but I shall continue to try. I have a kindle reg and a fire hd. This reads fine on the kindle reg but on the fire hd, it hangs up and won't let me move to the next chapter using finger swipes. I have to make note of the page number, then "go to" the next page. It's annoying, so I'm reading it mostly on the original reg kindle.....