Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 28 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 28 reviews
on July 5, 2012
I am glad they made an express card for the mac. This fits well. A USB 2 thumb drive to a USB 2 port with 3.31GB of data took 1 minute 41 seconds to transfer. A USB 2 thumb drive to this ExpressCard adapter took 1 minute 40 seconds. A USB 3 thumb drive to a USB 2 port took 1 minute 41 seconds. A USB 3 thumb drive to this adapter took 1 minute 1 second. Both USB thumb drives had the same information and I always transferred from the thumb drives to the Mac. Update: I purchased a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 1 TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive. I transferred 3.32 GB of data from my Mac to the Seagate drive and the transfer speed was 52 seconds with this express card adapter. This adapter works with Mountain Lion as of Aug 6, 2012.
on November 28, 2012
I wanted to unleash the speed of the inexpensive USB 3.0 Drives out there in my MacBookPro. It made my USB drives double the speed of my firewire 800 drives and allows two 3.0's to read and write to each other while 2.0 and firewire drives are connected. Mostly it's to get the USB drives working faster than firewire, until thunderbolt gets affordable. I was going to buy a second one for my newer quad core MBP, but just now the system froze several times and had to be hard booted back. It may be the card that's screwing stuff up. I pulled it, and everything seems back to normal. So, it's either an incompatible card, or bad driver software. I'll try it in my new quad core and see if it messes that up as well, in which case I go back to normal mode and stop adding things to computers instead of simply upgrading to more capable ones. I have had little luck in the past three decades adding stuff to computers... often as not they don't work or worse, screw up a system that otherwise works fine. We'll see this week. Mid 2009 Macbook Pro. Tomorrow, I try it in a late 2012 model, last 17" quad core before the retina 15".

Just hooked it up to the newer MBPro and it works flawlessly. Speeds noticeably improved, very nice. Watch one thing... when inserting and pulling USB cords out, be careful not to press in the card... it can unhook from the card bay inside, causing the connection to be broken and giving you the message the drive was not properly dismounted. I almost lost 3TB to a botched data tree from this, but luckily I could copy the contents to another drive to recover. It wouldn't operate in USB 3.0 after the improper dismount caused by the card coming out. Otherwise, works fine. Hold the card pressed either forward or backward when inserting or removing cords, and you're fine. This issue has never been a problem with OS formatted drives, but using Windows NTFS formatting (to read and write on both systems) can cause real formatting damage if the drive is not dismounted safely.
on October 18, 2012
I've had this card for about 6 months so far. I also purchased one of their Mini enclosures with USB 3.0.
I had some issues getting started until Oyen tech support helped me realize that the Express Card slot on the MBP doesn't meet the power requirements of USB 3.0! The solution came with the card, dual USB port power adapters.

Once I got by that issue, then it's been pretty smooth. I just had an issue where my card stopped recognizing USB thumb drives. Two emails with Oyen and it was fixed with a driver update. Their support is very helpful and friendly.

I will definitely put Oyen at the top of my list for future purchases!
on October 27, 2013
EDIT 1 - Nov. 8, 2013: I contacted Oyen again after waiting about ten days like they requested. Support was unable to offer me an updated driver NOR could they offer an E.T.A. for the update. The card remains useless.
---
I just received my adapter today. I've been looking forward to using this and adding superspeed functionality to my mid-2010 17" MacBook Pro. After plugging it in and trying it with multiple peripherals, none work. I've installed the drivers, restarted, everything. Two different models of external hard drives would not connect. A USB flash drive would not connect. In fact, even a USB card-reader's "active" light would not illuminate as it does when plugged into my other USB ports. I have used the supplied USB y-power cable to supplement power to the adapter.

2 stars because I have faith in the company and product after so many positive reviews, but it's worthless to me as-is. Will update this review after navigating the support process.
on September 17, 2013
Listen to the other positive reviews of this--they are 100% correct!! Oyen clearly has the mac expertise for delivering an ExpressCard adapter for USB 3.0 that simply works (flawlessly, yay!), and is worth every dime. The Oyen adapter is by far one of the best investments I've ever purchased for my mid 2009 17" MacBook Pro to finally take advantage of the ExpressCard slot for such an easy upgrade to USB 3.0 with the immediately noticable increase of data transfer speeds. Seriously...the benefits were dramatic....the immediate bump to 3.0 transfer speeds significantly changed much of my data management workflows for large media files. I don't know how I ever survived without it...wasted many long hours waiting for files to finish. Oyen makes the best, most compatible USB 3.0 ExpressCard adapter, as it specifically designed for the mac, which is huge. Installation of the driver is, unfortunately, required, but I have yet to run into any problems.
on July 20, 2013
I installed the Oyen card into a "Late-2008" MacBook Pro, and tested the file transfer time (times are averages of three runs):
Copying a single 1.1 GB movie file from the Mac to a USB 3 Patriot flash drive through the Oyen saved virtually no time (2:18 vs. 2:19 through the stock USB 2 port). A 622 MB folder containing 242 files copied to the USB 3 flash drive in a 5% shorter time through the Oyen port than the stock USB 2 port.

Testing with a USB 3 Seagate external hard drive, the increase in speed was noticeable. The 1.1 GB movie file transferred in (average) 0:13 through the Oyen, versus 0:46 through the USB 2 port. The 622 MB folder transferred in 0:06 through the Oyen USB 3 versus 0:18 through USB 2.

Connecting a Fujitsu Scansnap ix500 scanner (which is supposed to be USB 3) was not recognized by the Oyen port.

So, good results with an external USB 3 drive; not so much with other USB 3 peripherals.
on October 16, 2012
I bought this card for use with my 3 TB LaCie external HDD. The card is obviously well made, and it worked perfectly...except with the LaCie drive I wanted to connect it to!
The card could not recognize the drive, but that was NOT Oyen's fault! In fact, LaCie had locked the HDD so that it would only work with a LaCie ExpressCard. Note: LaCie also rigs its own USB 3.0 ExpressCard so that it will ONLY work for LaCie peripherals!! But NOWHERE does LaCie let you know about this dishonest little game they're playing...
My main point: I want to thank Oyen for the huge amount of time they spent (reading logs, etc) and the numerous emails they exchanged with me, and for allowing me to return the card at their expense for a full refund. They went above and beyond what was necessary to help me resolve a problem that they had no part in causing. They will stay at the top of my list of preferred vendors for anything that they sell!
on March 15, 2013
I totally needed USB3.0 on my MacBookPro, mid2011. After some research I bought two of these for my and my partners job.
They we're a little hard getting to work, but I believe It was some trouble with old drivers.
A very good thing is Oyen has excellent customer support, so if you have any question or trouble, they are very helpful and quick.
I had questions to them regarding bus powering it, with the supplied cable, and help came instantly with advice and a link to the new Mountain Lion drivers.

It is expensive, but it works, it does what it promises, unlike other competitors that I haven't had experience with, but colleagues I've spoken to have.

There might be cheaper solutions, I found this one and recommend it totally.

I've also bought eSata + USB3.0 enclosures from them, and they work like a charm (compared them to Ankers, and both are excellent, similar write/read speeds, both work on Mountain Lion for me).

Bye!
on December 30, 2013
I wanted this to be as good as some review had it described. However for me no luck. My setup is MBP17"/10.9.1, and needed this usb3 for Lacie 4Tb external disk.
Card will work for few hours every time, however after those few hrs I would loose access to disk and/or system would panic (crash).
I tried to re-install driver after few panics, but results were same.
From HW side, it also has issues. Item is not smooth fitting either. When psychically compared to my other express card (Sonnos usb2 4 port) this Oyen card is much more "bumpier" and corners are not flushed to form (metal part of body is sticking above black plastic on female part of card, part that goes into slot.).

I have requested item return, will not buy another one of these.
on July 30, 2013
Got a Macbook Pro?

Is it an older one?

Need USB3 support?
Yep.

Want it to just bloody work?
Yep.

Don't want to spend over a hundred bucks?

Buy this.

(Macbook Pro 17" Oct. 2010 version with purchased drivers to communicate with NTFS drives; files popped soon as the drive was recognized. Will update after stress-testing things like editing too/from drive.)

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.