Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on February 9, 2012
In general I love this scale; for the price it tells you a lot and seems fairly accurate. I bought this when my 3rd child was 3 months old because I didn't have a scale in the house and wanted to see how well I was getting back to my pre-pregnant weight. Plus I wanted to monitor my hydration, since, as a nursing mom, I sometimes forget to drink plenty of fluids. I also looked at this scale as a long term investment. Most similar scales only allow 4 profiles, but I thought as my son gets older it would be nice for all 5 of us in the family to have our own profiles.

Enter the quirks of this scale. You should be aware of the following before purchasing. They aren't all that big of a deal but might be a deal-breaker for some people:
1. Although you can store up to 8 profiles, you cannot set any profile age for younger than 10 years old! My oldest will be 10 soon, so I figured it would be close enough for her, but if you envision this as a family scale and have young children, you might want to be aware that you will not be able to program an accurate profile for them. That said, I don't know if that factors into any of the ways it calculates things. For my 7 yr old, I just put in age 10 and her height and it *seems* to work, but just how far you can stretch it, I'm not sure. Will it believe you have a 3 ft 10 yr old or will it malfunction?

2. Despite what the manual claims, you cannot just step on the scale if you want an accurate weight measurement. We have been sure to put it on a hard level surface, but when it turns on upon stepping on it, it's actually never zeroed properly at first. It usually reads about 4 lbs before going to zero. I discovered this by trial and error. As a scientist, I like to get a feel for the measurement error in devices such as this, and I soon discovered that the first measurement was always about 4 lbs more than subsequent measurements, and that the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. measurements were all within about 0.2lbs of each other. I even experimented with which foot I put on the scale first, figuring that maybe I was leaning weird somehow, but it seemed to make no difference. Then my husband told me that he always steps on it just hard enough to turn it on, then takes his foot back off for a moment. He notices that when he does this, it reads 4lbs instead of zero at first, then it goes to zero, then he steps on to weigh himself. After following this procedure, the measurements I get when weighing myself give good agreement, no matter how many times in a row I weigh myself.

3. The "unit" button. I admit, I didn't read every word of the manual at first, and skipped over the part about changing the units the scale measures in. Thus I was unaware that there was a unit button on the *bottom* of the scale! This is a really stupid design, because often when you grasp the scale to move it, you inadvertently depress the unit button. The scale need not be on for this to register, and I was perplexed to find the scale suddenly measuring my body weight in "stones," til I read the manual and discovered the unit button. Again, as a scientist I am definitely in favor of being able to change the scale so that it reads in kg instead of lbs, but "stones?" Who the heck needs to weigh themselves in "stones??" Plus I think they could have found a better placement for the unit button.

So bottom line: I've found a way to work around these quirks and get good use out of this scale, and I don't regret the purchase, because, again, it was so affordable for what this scale does. But personally I'd have liked to have been aware of some of these quirks before purchasing. Thus why I'm passing them onto you, the potential customer :) Cheers!
2323 comments| 730 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 6, 2015
I bought this scale December 1, 2013. By March 22, 2014 the body fat and other functions stopped working after 4 times of using the functions. I write the info down in a day planner so I have an accurate record of how long this scale has worked. 3 months later the scale quit working entirely and I hadn't used it since March. Before this scale I had a Weight Watchers body fat scale that worked for more than 10 years on the same batteries before finally giving up. That was when I decided to splurge on a new scale and chose this. Unfortunately I also paid the full price of close to $100. Definitely disappointed and had hoped for better quality. Instead of messing with this one I ended up buying a different scale from a different company and will hope for better. My only suggestion if you do decide to buy this scale even after reading the negative reviews, go with Black! I chose white and it doesn't look as nice as it does in the picture.
on May 12, 2017
I like this scale. The readings are consistent and the features are amazing for the price. Setup is simple.

I was surprised by my low bone and muscle mass readings. My wife's were also low. I don't know if the readings are inaccurate or we need to beef up some. Either way the readings are consistent and will serve as a useful baseline to observe changes to something we have never measured before.

One small gripe - the white scale is not exactly white to my eye - there is a slight green tint. I returned one for exchange but the replacement was the same color. It looks nice - pretty glass top and shiny metal "buttons" - and I will keep it but if you are looking for white like the picture mine was a little different.

UPDATE - the muscle/bone mass info on the scale is probably right but the manual contains inaccurate tables to interpret the info. Look it up on the wed instead.
on January 30, 2014
This is great, but has no "memory" mode, nor does it have an ANT+ or Bluetooth or WiFi upload feature.

The price reflects that, as does the description - just pointing out the almost-obvious.

This has slots for 8 people. Entering your stats allows it to calculate your fat/muscle/water/bone percentages.

If your weight varies by more than 8 pounds since your last weighing, it will not figure out who you are and you'll have to reset your profile.

If your weight is within 8 pounds of another profile, it will not be able to figure out who is who.

You cannot pick which profile you're weighing under except when you reset a profile.

All of that being said, when it works, you just step on and it knows... Give it a couple of seconds, and the other stats print out. The screen is very easy to read.

It is glass, so if you drop it, it can break. Otherwise, it's pretty stable, stepping on, tripping over it, etc.

I really like it vs my Omron, because it's faster and doesn't require the use of handle-bars for the bio-impedance metrics. Its measures are more consistent than the Omron too. If I'm straight out of the shower, or have been dry for hours, the body fat percentages are within a tent of a percent on this, vs being 4-8% off with the Omron.

As to accuracy, I've not had a professional measure. I'm a big guy, but it's all in my abdomen. Since I started cycling, my legs, arms, face, and chest have become very lean. My BMI is about 30, I'm 6'6 and 266 pounds. I can put out almost 1300 watts on the bike for 5 seconds, and average in the 130W range for rides over 40 miles. This scale says my body fat is 20%, and the Omron says it's 32%. Realistically, I think it's somewhere between the two.

Also, I cheat and sometimes use my bathroom scale to measure me plus another item, like my bike, then subtract out my weight. This scale, on a hard, level, smooth surface with even distribution across the 4 corners can handle 440 pounds. My Omron scale can only handle 310, so it's easy to top-out with other things. I know, off-label use, but just something to know.

Lastly, this scale was half the cost of my Omron scale.
on June 2, 2017
It's nice looking and seems to do what it says, though I have no idea if it's accurate. I like the easy to read digital numbers and that it lets you set up profiles for different people. The only thing is it seems to give a different number for my weight- sometimes varying by as much as 5 pounds within an hours time. It's quite the emotional rollercoaster, lol. This is my first ever scale- I'm 42 and never owned one or stepped on one outside of the doctors office or publix occasionally so I am just kind of fascinated with the ever changing numbers and all the interesting stuff this thing tells me, though I don't know what most of it means yet- it's still -pretty cool.
on July 7, 2015
Does a good job of measuring weight and had some neat functions that allow you to "tare" out your personal weight and then get on the scale with a child and see the difference. or pick up a piece of luggage and see how much it weighs without waiting to get to the airport. My only complaint is that the unit does have the ability to keep personal logs but the log is based on prior weight reading so if 2 of you are close in weight it doesn't understand who is on the scale and you have to press to select who is on the scale. Mind you are standing on the scale so now you have to use a toe (if you have that level of control to stand on one foot and then press the right button) or get off the scale and bend down to select the correct user and quickly get back on the scale before it shuts off. I would rather just choose it immediately when I get on the scale, but this scale weighs you and then makes you choose and then you have to get on it again to finish the weight measurements. The body fat, muscle, and bone are interesting, but I don't hold much faith in their accuracy. (although they may be accurate) I got the scale for the tare ability and the historical record keeping.
on January 26, 2016
UPDATE: I have had this scale for exactly one year. I have been so busy I haven't really had the opportunity to shed light on how dissatisfied I have become. As a personal trainer it's quite frustrating to get on the scale and have the body fat and weight EXTREMELY off! It was working fine for the first 9 months. I have replaced the batteries twice, reset multiple times and to be honest I see AWESOME changes in my body but the scale doesn't reflect. I went to the doctor weeks ago and was weighed on a digital scale and my weight was off by 4lbs. Hmmmmm. One day it will say my bone mass is 4.6 and then most it says 4.4. I have lost over 60 lbs with noticeable muscle, but the bodyfat reads in the mid 20s, which is CRAZY, due to using my gym's hand held model! Honestly I have no idea WHO I AM RIGHT NOW this scale is driving me crazy. I'm extremely frustrated because I'm about to start training clients now that I have become a trainer however it's impossible to assess a client with IMPROPER objective info. Tears of frustration.

I absolutely love this scale. I ha e done much research and comparing! This scale is actual on the TOP10! Easy to setup and follow
on March 27, 2013
I have compared the weight reading with two other scales of undetermined accuracy but they are all within 0.2lbs of each other. Some days they are in agreement and other days they differ by 0.2 but since the scale only weighs in 0.2lb increments I think it is a rounding difference. I am satisfied that this scale is consistent with my past scale and accurate.
The body fat % seems pretty reliable as far as showing change over time- of course I don't know if it is completely accurate but all of these scales are best used to follow changes rather than get an absolute number. I have tested it's consistency by weighing several times in a half hour period and I have seen some variations that obviously are not reflecting any real changes in body fat but if you are losing fat these wobbles wont be a problem over time.
I got this to follow my body fat % and to follow a routine where I weigh myself every day. Weight will vary from day to day of course and I had hoped that the hydration metric would allow me to see if on days where I weighed more than the day before that it was because of changes in hydration. So far on days where I feel I am retaining water the hydration % does not reflect this so for my purposes so far that number it is not especially useful. I stay very well hydrated so it has not varied much and maybe that is why. It seems to be steadily creeping up as I am losing weight presumably because I am losing fat and gaining muscle which contains more water I think. My body fat has dropped 1.7% and muscle has increased about 0.4% and hydration % has increased 1.9% while my weight has dropped 7.4lbs I have no idea how these numbers compare to others with 7lb weight loss but just thought I'd share. Since I weigh myself daily I see the numbers bounce around of course (water and muscle numbers are more variable and so maybe less accurate on the time scale of a week or two but I do believe the number are reflecting a general change and if you are in this for the long haul I think it would help you keep tabs on major changes.
I cant comment on the auto recognition feature because I am the only one using it but setup was easy. The company sent me an email offering to send me a free kitchen scale too which arrived last week. I am very happy with the body scale so far and happy that the company is available if there are problems.

By the way- If you weigh yourself everyday I strongly recommend using trendweight dot com- all of these daily wobbles get smoothed out by math nerd formulas and you can really see what is going on. If you don't weigh yourself everyday and think this idea sounds crazy or obsessive you should also check out that site. It is based on the 'Hackers Diet' which is so far a very interesting free ebook. That site says you need a wifi scale but you can enter the numbers manually on fitbit dot com and it will automatically fetch the numbers and make you a lovely graph and give you some excellent stats like calorie deficits etc. Anyway, really check out that site (its free, has no ads and I have nothing to do with it aside from a happy user!)!
on December 8, 2013
I absolutely love this scale. Not only does it look great, but it's pretty stinking accurate. I even have it on linoleum flooring and it still is accurate. The body fat seems way off at the lower levels (under 24%), but its good enough for keeping track of weight loss and staying motivated. In order to keep an accurate measurement of my weight loss, I have been weighing myself upon waking. My only advice for others is to also weigh themselves upon waking after using the bathroom. I measure myself every day to look for changes. If guests come over to weigh themselves they simply just step on and it will display the weight in around 6 seconds. For those who took the 8 seconds to setup their profile it will detect you based on your weight and then it will scan your body for the other measurements. Just make sure you aren't wearing socks if you want those measurements.

The life span of this scale has been good so far. With my abuse of this scale it has lasted 4 months so far, and i'm sure it will last for much longer since it looks brand new. Most of my older scales have had accuracy issues at this point. I even used it recently to weigh my luggage by standing on it and measuring my weight then measuring my weight while i lifted my bag. The scale is dead accurate. The only maintenance so far has been cleaning the occasional dirt/dust that builds on the glass top, but that is a known cleaning task on anything with a glass top. Since mine is by my kitchen i just use my Clorox wipes.

Occasionally this device will forget who i am. Which is pretty bad since i only setup myself as a user. Normally this happens if my day to day changes has been over 5 lbs. So, if you weigh yourself at different times of the day or if you go long periods without weighing yourself then you may face this quite often. Fixing it takes only a few seconds as you have to run through the age/weight/male/female screen again, but the settings are saved you just have to get to the weigh screen again to set it for your current weight. Overall this is a great scale that looks and performs well (up to 257 lbs that I have tested), and it only costs a little more than normal scales.
on November 8, 2017
I purchased 2 “Ozeri Touch 440 lbs Total Body Bath Scale – Measures Weight, Fat, Muscle, Bone & Hydration with Auto Recognition and Infant Tare Technology;” One for my home and one for my sons home. The scale looks great. I’m quite satisfied with the product. I would also even recommend the scale if it was under $25. The only reason I gave it three stars is because I don’t feel the auxiliary features, body fat measurement, total water weight, and bone mass work accurately or are dependable. The reason I don’t believe these features work accurately/dependable is because I found large changes from one day to the next; for example, I doubt I’m losing a half a pound of bone or gaining a half a pound of bone within 24 hours!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse