From the Back Cover
BASIC PRINCIPLES AND APPLICATIONS
H. K. Huang, D.Sc.
Picture archiving and communications systems (PACS) are the foundation of digital radiology and are increasingly being implemented to streamline health-care operations, facilitate teleradiology, and improve patient care.
PACS: Basic Principles and Applications integrates a comprehensive introduction to the imaging modalities and technical fundamentals of "filmless radiology" with clear guidelines for designing and implementing a PACS system. Written by a leading expert and featuring numerous illustrations, line drawings, and schematic diagrams, this practical, user-friendly resource includes individual chapters on such topics as:
* Digital radiologic image fundamentals
* Industry standards, with an emphasis on HL7 and DICOM
* Image compression
* Image acquisition gateways
* Communications and networking
* System design, installation, and evaluation
* Clinical applications and pitfalls
* Future development of PACS
PACS: Basic Principles and Applications is an essential reference and invaluable sourcebook for radiologists and radiology residents and technologists, as well as for imaging facility planners and support staff.