Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pelican 1500-518-000 1506 TSA Lock
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

on January 12, 2013
This is very small, but well built. I have a pelican case and with this lock on it you can still open it about three inches. Though I couldn't pull stuff out of the case quickly, I could still open the case and remove small items from it with this long on.
on November 1, 2012
Purchase/Shipment: This product was purchased because of the brand recognition I have of Pelican products. I use anything Pelican in order to safely secure my valuables when I travel. The product was ordered and arrived in two (2) days using Amazon Prime's great two-day shipping option! The item was packaged in a bubble mailer and did not suffer any damage upon arrival.

30-Day Evaluation: The TSA-approved lock is what I consider a "low-security" lock. I say this because it is very easy to pick TSA-approved locks in general, regardless of brand. I would only use this lock on items that are in your direct possession while you are traveling (i.e. carry-on bag, backpack, briefcase, etc.). However, if you expect to use this lock on something like a public locker, chances are you will find your lock open and empty when you return. Bottom line, use this lock only if you are willing to part with whatever you are securing if you decide to step away from your secured items for long periods of time.

I used this lock while deploying to Afghanistan. The lock was used to secure my carry-on backpack while I transited the various airports and terminals. I thought of the lock as more of a "deterrent" than an actual means of security while I sat waiting for my next mode of transportation to my next destination. The lock seamlessly opens whenever you use your chosen three-digit combination. Then again, this lock is only secured by a metal clasp that grips a thin, but sturdy, cable.

The lock works well for what it is designed to do and kept my backpack secure during my entire trip downrange. It was great for locking zippers that are at odd angles or are of different sizes. The cable-lock method makes this possible. Again, choose the right lock for the right occasion. With that said, this lock works as it is designed to do and am still an advocate of Pelican-branded products!
on July 19, 2010
We use several Pelican cases to ship equipment. I had been using Brookstone cable locks, but tried this Pelican brand lock. It costs more than the Brookstone ones, but is very well built. I only consider these locks enought
to keep prying eyes and fingers out of the cases during transport, and they are TSA compliant (which means TSA can open them with a key). This lock is also larger and heavier than the Brookstones ones, but I think it is more secure. For cases, I highly recommend the Pelican locks. The cable fits the heavy plastic mounts on the cases, which smaller locks will not. For a cary-on bag, this might be too heavy. Overall, a great product for its intended use. Also, Pelican stands by its products, replacing flashlights and furnishing broken latches on cases. A fine company.
on October 6, 2014
I do not know how this lock got so many high reviews. It is garbage. I locked it once and the combo would not re-open the lock. But that does not matter because I was able to easily break the lock by twisting a pen in the cable. Then just to see I took a pair of ordinary, plastic handled, dollar store scissors to the cable and cut through it.
A zip tie will work better because 1) you will know if TSA opened it. 2) a zip tie will hold the lid closed in case the latches fail, and 3) a zip tie will be just as difficult to defeat as this flimsy lock.
on January 10, 2014
Easy to set combination. CAUTION.......after setting your combination, do not let a number "roll" as you are locking the cable. Otherwise, you will end up cutting the cable, as the combination has changed.
on December 30, 2014
Excellent, just as described. Unfortunately TSA cut them off within two months, NOT the manufacturers fault. TSA cuts everything off even simple clips, will no longer purchase this type item due to TSA ineptness.
on January 1, 2015
works well enough, and seems well made, but it's yet to endure the gauntlet known as the airlines. I'm not knocked out by this lock because the combo of the color of the case, the shininess of the wheels, and a general lack of contrast with the numbers makes it extremely hard to see the numbers to set the wheels to the correct combo. I ended up getting my reading glasses out in order to see the numbers.
Setting the combo was a bit scary, as it really needs 3 hands to do comfortably. Holding the reset button in while setting in your own combo is fiddly and the admonition in the instructions about not letting go of the button during this process is scary. What happens? Does the lock turn into a paperweight? I have no desire to find out.
on April 4, 2013
1506TSA Pelilock review video shows this locks big problem. Its a good lock but my 1 star review is related to its intended functionality with a Pelican case.
1010 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 18, 2015
Works well for curious hands which is the design. Not meant as theft proof security. Convenient for air travel with the TSA lock. I like Pelican cases and purchased for the Pelican name. Recommended.
on January 15, 2015
I'm sure that after I get the callback from Pelican to help me reset the combo, I will be happier. The tumbler is so highly reflective it is hard to read the numbers and you have to hold it in just the right direction to know it is not upside down and backward. The same markings are on both sides. It's a little aggravating. Maybe a mark that indicates FRONT would be better. It seems to take three hands to set the combo, 1-to hold the lock, 1-to press in the reset button, and another to turn the tumblers to set up a personal combination. I accidentally released the reset button midway, and once you do that, you're done, no going back, no second try. Whatever the number combination was at at the time you released the button, that is IT, finished, kaput! Now Customer Service will have to return my call to help me reset it or send out another lock. I needed two for my Pelican case. I managed to set one, but messed up on the second one. I know they are good locks and are TSA preferred, and I want to comply, but am also angered at the crappy way it has to be reset to a personal combination. The aggravation earned it a 2 star loss, otherwise I am impressed with them. I still recommend them, but I hope you have better eyes than me and three hands. SERIOUSLY!