From the Back Cover
-Jeff Barr, Founder and Developer, Syndic8.com
* Get up to speed fast on PHP programming fundamentals
* Explore the ins and outs of MySQL and Oracle database connectivity
* Master new features for XML parsing, Web services, graphics, and more
If PHP can do it, you can do it too . . .
If you want to create dynamic, database-driven Web content, you will not find a better, more cost-effective tool than PHP. Now expanded with more case study examples and thoroughly updated to cover the latest features of PHP 4.2, this is the one good book on PHP you need, whether you're a Web designer, a programmer, or an ASP, JSP, or ColdFusion veteran. From programming and database connectivity basics (including all-new coverage of Oracle) to weblogs, cookies, e-mail, XML, Web services, graphics, security, and more, it delivers all the tips, techniques, and "gotchas" you need to get up and running quickly - and take PHP to the limit.
Inside, you'll find complete coverage of PHP
* Get up to speed on PHP programming using a running fitness calculator example
* Connect HTML-based Web pages to MySQL or Oracle databases
* Create database-linked forms
* Harness new PHP features for XML applications and Web services
* Generate on-the-fly graphics using the GD library
* Integrate other people's PHP into your applications - skins, styles, and more
* Get the scoop on security, cryptography, configuration, and tuning
* Put it all together with two complete case study examples - a user authentication system and a trivia game
About the Author
Joyce Park has an M.A. in history from the University of Chicago and has worked on several content-rich PHP Web sites, including the award-winning MysteryGuide.com. Her writing has garnered praise from the editors and readers of Slashdot, OSOpinion, Linux.com, and many others worldwide. Joyce is now a senior Web developer at KnowNow, Inc.