Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,460 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,522 reviews
on November 3, 2011
I occasionally dabble in macro, but nowhere near enough to justify the outrageous sums dedicated macro lenses go for. So, I thought I'd pick these up.

First, a nice bonus was that it comes with a compact filter case with 4 lens slots. I ordered this product without realizing it came with that, so that was quite the pleasant surprise, as it's actually a pretty nice, albeit small, filter case. I actually connect the 1 to the 2 and the 4 to the 10 when I store them, opening up two slots, which allows me to carry a UV filter and a polarizing filter as well. Which is really nice when I'm just carrying a small camera bag to not need two separate filter cases. The lens cloth is reasonably good.

On to the actual filters. If you go into them with reasonable expectations, it's hard to be disappointed with them. Attaching them to my 55-200 nikkor telephoto lens results in pretty good, pretty sharp pictures. The more you stack them, the more your image will degrade, but you can still get reasonably decent images even with all four stacked. if you stack, stack from most magnification closest to the lens to weakest magnification furthest from your lens, otherwise your focus and depth of field will go crazy and you'll get all kinds of weird aberrations in your image). Also, make sure you regularly clean them, as any smudges or dust will, shockingly, get magnified.

Be aware that these will make your camera have a difficult time autofocusing, as the computer has no idea that these things are on the end of the lens, and thus its normal tricks don't work as well. However, if you're doing macro, you want to use manual focus anyway, even if you have a dedicated macro lens you want to use manual focus, so that's not really a negative in my eyes.

Also, be aware that like any macro filters, they reduce depth of field, meaning you'll want to shoot with as high of a number f stop as possible (that is your aperture as small as possible, high f/stop = low aperture), otherwise you'll find yourself with a depth of field that can only be measured in milimieters (literally, with a small (wide open) f stop, and all four stacked, your depth of field will be less than a about a half millimeter!)

Also, be aware that since things are magnified here, that any camera shake is magnified as well. Meaning that you'll want to use a tripod if at all possible. You can occasionally get good results hand shooting, but you'll get more consistently sharp results with a tripod. And a tripod will also be beneficial because, due to the high f/stop you'll need to get the depth of field you'll want, you may need both a high ISO and a long shutter speed.

If you buy these thinking you can just throw them on the end of your kit lens, use autofocus and BAM, get pro level macro photos, you'll be pretty unhappy. BUt if you know what you're buying, they're a pretty outstanding little set. I almost gave these 5 stars, because they're a great value, and you really can't expect anything more than what they give you from any macro filters, regardless of price. However, I didn't want to mislead. If macro photography is your thing you WILL need a macro lens to get the type of sharpness that field really demands. If you just occasionally dabble in macro when you happen across something interesting, they really are hard to beat.

edit: I think a lot of people newer to macro photography try these out, and thus, I see that a lot of reviews are complaining about things that don't really have anything to do with these filters, but just have to do with macro photography. Three complaints stand out as being complaints about macro photography more than these filters:

First, when you're zoomed in and magnified this much, you HAVE to shoot from a tripod. Any camera shake is going to be magnified. SO, I think a lot of the 'blurry' complaints stem from people trying ot use these handheld. Don't bother with macro if you aren't going to shoot with a tripod and a trigger release (remote control shutter button) or a timer.

Second, don't shoot macro on autofocus. autofocus isn't made for macrophotography. It has nothing to do with these filters. The camera just gets really confused by macro photography. Even a dedicated macro lens will only get you roughly in the ball park focus wise, and many of the best macro lenses don't autofocus at all. If you're going to do macro, then you need to use manual focus.

Third, your subjects need to be relatively still. Because macro involves relatively long shutter speeds, you'll need to shoot still subjects. Or at the very least, take a ton of shots and hope that the object stayed still in a few of them. Again, this has nothing to do with these filters, that's just the way macro photography is.
99 comments| 566 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The reason I purchased these filters is because I did not want to purchase an expensive Macro Lens. While I'm sure a Macro lens is the best option for shooting small subjects close-up, these filters will also do the job. I use these filters on the standard 18-55mm lens for my Canon DSLR. The +10 filter is the one I use the most, it gets pretty close to the subject. And even better, you can actually stack the filters for greater magnification.

It takes a little while to get used to these lenses. You need to be pretty close to the subject in order for the shot to be in focus (and even then the whole shot is often not in focus). Depending on your shooting distance you might need to zoom in/out with your lens in order to get the subject in focus. If you're going to be shooting small insects or wildlife, then you'll need to practice with these filters in advance so that you don't miss that great shot when the time comes.

I've included a slideshow in my review, where I shot various objects with and without the Macro Filters. The first shots of each item is with the 18-55mm lens about as close as it can go without any filters; the second shot of each item is with the Macro filters in use (in most cases they were obtained by stacking to 10x and 4x filters).
review image review image
44 comments| 222 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 1, 2016
These are great! Much better than my previous macro filters. That being said these are magnifying filters, NOT a professional macro lens!! If you are expecting fast, sharp macro images you are going to need an actual lens (and a few hundred dollars). They have a very shallow depth of field which I actually quite like, and you must use the manual focus and your body to get a clear image. The key is to adjust your camera's focus to the max and use your body to find the distance that puts the image in focus. All in all worth every penny.
The images I added are 1 - no filter just my 200mm zoom | 2 - +1 on the 200mm zoom | 3 - +2 on the 200mm zoom | 4 - +4 on the 200mm zoom | 5 - +10 on the 200mm zoom | 6 - +2+10 stacked on the 200mm zoom
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on August 17, 2014
This review is for the:

PLR Optics 58MM +1 +2 +4 +10 Close-Up Macro Filter Set with Pouch For The Canon Digital EOS Rebel

I just received these, and immediately popped the 10x on my 18-55 mm lens (Digital Rebel XT). I'm quite impressed with how close I can get to stuff. Sure, this is not a macro lens, but for my non-professional needs, it's awesome. $13 bucks to allow a regular lens to shoot at macro distances? Yes, please!

I was able to get about 5 inches away from my canon lense cap, at 55mm, and fill pretty much the entire screen with the canon logo. The last 'n' didn't actually fit on the screen. That's pretty darn close!

Note: it does not seem like these are stackable. The 10mm lens protrudes beyond the rim, so another lens won't fit over it. Not a deal breaker for me, as I'm able to get as close as I need to anyway.

This set is a great way to start getting into macro photography without a huge investment. Definitely worth $13!
review image
on January 29, 2017
I wanted to LOVE these filters and purchased it for the 10x macro to use for ebay photos. The 10x feature, itself, was nice but the fish-eye effect was not what I was looking for when I purchased this item. I also had to get SUPER CLOSE to my target to be able to get as close-up as I'd wanted. I've been faithfully using this product for ever but recently switched lenses - Opteka Achromatic 10x Diopter Macro Lens for Nikon D5, D4, D810, D800, D750, D610, D500, D7200, D7100, D7000, D5500, D5300, D5200, D3300, D3200 Digital SLR Cameras (Fits 52mm and 67mm Threaded Lenses) and wanted to try the Polaroid set out before repurchasing an adapter to use the Opteka set. Looks like I'll be purchasing an adapter for the Opteka after all. Boo! :(
on April 6, 2016
For such an inexpensive package, these are great filters for playing around with some macro shooting. For those of you saying "these don't work"...you're doing it wrong. First of all, you must shoot in manual mode, and you must switch your lens to manual focus. Secondly, you must be VERY close to your subject. I picked up an 11" table-top tripod for macro shots, so that you can adjust the camera to point very close to your subject. Also it helps to set your shutter release to remote, and use your remote to prevent shaking. Close up shots like this will pick up any movement at all.

Attaching a few shots from the day I received the filters. The flower shot was taken with the 10x and 4x stacked. The diamond was shot with the 10x filter. Obviously I could have used better lighting on the diamond, but for just-out-of-the-box shooting, it's a good example of how simple they are to use. Buy them!
review image review image
on September 27, 2013
I had read a few reviews about the filters getting stuck on the lens and a few commented about the ring around the photos.. . Well, if you don't want the filter to get stuck, just don't screw it in so tight. :) All you need to do is turn loosely it till it won't turn no more. There no need to force it to tighten up. Now as for the ring around your images, this only happens when you zoom in too much, but instead of using zoom, just get slightly closer to the object. To give you an idea how much this actually zooms in, I'll be uploading a sample image after I submit this review.

The sample image was actually a X10 zoom photo of my fish tank (Nikon D5200):

review image review image review image review image
on May 23, 2017
I am still fairly new to photography and wanted to test the macro waters without having to buy a dedicated lens, I was pleasantly surprised with these to say the least. For under 20 dollars I was able to get some decent macro images I think.

The biggest con to me is the softness around the outside but much can be overcome in post. Also I noticed with the +10 (which I haven't really used) it's like there's a small point of focus in the middle and everything else is out, for example the tip of a bees head might be in focus but the antennas and body not at all.

The only one I've really used much is the +4, but I've used it a bunch already and love it. They might not be the greatest photos but I don't think they're terrible either. Photos were taken with a d610 and cheap 70-300 lens, edited in Lightroom.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on December 30, 2014
This is a very inexpensive, and less equipment intensive way to take real macro pictures. Most lenese have what I call a macro rating, It's not a real term, I just made it up. On the barrel of the Canon EF-S 24mm, the macro rating says .6 Ft. So you can get about as close as 5" and still focus to take a picture. In the days before digital, this feature was called "close focus." Close focus is not true macro, it's just a close-up. It's the difference between taking a picture of a mouse from five inches away, or the eye of a fly that fills the whole frame of your picture.
With these lenese you can get really good close-up and macro images, although it not as good as having a dedicated camera lens, but for the price you can have a lot of fun taking pictures of small items and bugs. You screw what ever macro lens that you want to use onto the front of your camera lens, or you can stack several lenese to get the magnification that you want. I used these with my Canon EF 40mm STM and the pictures turned out really good. I'm not sure using these on a zoom lens will get you anymore magnification, but I only bought the 52mm set, and all my lenese in that range are primes. The focal plane is razor thin, which means the point of focus can change with as little movement as a couple of millimeters. If you start getting more into macro, you'll need to get a focusing rail and a good tripod. But for now you can get great pictures with this set by hand holding the camera. So try them out and see what your missing.
on January 30, 2013
As an amateur taking pictures mostly of geckos and dart frogs, I couldn't be happier with these filters. Definitely a best bang for your buck purchase!

I've had a lot of fun with these macro filters. They are really easy to screw on so it is quick to change between filters to get the perfect shot. As long as you have adequate lighting, these macro filters allow for some nice, sharp closeups. I have not had to use my tripod with these yet and despite having moving targets I've still been able to get some really nice pictures. Also, the bag they come in is small enough to fit in my camera bag without a problem and it protects the filters really well.

I highly recommend these to people who dabble in macro photography since it is an inexpensive alternative to the macro lens. I'd also recommend checking out reverse lens kits for micro photography but the 10+ is as close as I'll ever need to get with the objects and animals I shoot, personally. Even if you are considering buying a macro lens, I would buy the lens filters first to see if they get the job done for you adequately enough and possibly save yourself $600.

I uploaded a picture I took to the customer image gallery that compares a photo taken with the 10+ filter lens and a photo taken without any filter on the lens. The subject is a young gecko (eurydactylodes agricolae) that is only about an inch in length.
review image