Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery March Birthstone Shop Popular Services GimmeDanger GimmeDanger GimmeDanger  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Elton John Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 151 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 158 reviews
on June 25, 2011
One of the hardest things to do while trying to teach your child to read is keep his/her attention. Well this game offers the opportunity to do it. The little popcorns are cute and the box is exciting. The game LOOKS fun. I believe the instructions for the game are pretty straight up. You know, you pick one to read, and then he picks one to read. Whoever has the most when you get tired wins. Also, the instructions say that when a "POP" card is picked, the player loses all his cards. BAD IDEA. That will not make the game fun. Instead, when we find a "POP" card, everyone has to stand up and pop around the room like a popcorn. Now this makes reading the cards exciting. The normal player instructions are a little boring for my 4 year old, too. But throw in his noirsy trash truck that gets to haul off the popcorns he earns, and it becomes a blast for him. Add a few imaginary products (like pink elephants, dog paint, dust mite houses, whatever) that he can buy with his earned popcorn currency, and it gets even better. For an imaginary rabbit my son will read any card he can. Then he wants to read one to get the rabbit food, an imaginary collar, a rabbit hutch, and on and on. With this approach I get tired way before he does.

My son is 4 and is reading 1st grade level with absolute ease. This is mostly because of starfall.com and morestarfall.com , but these cards help him with the words that can't be sounded out so easily. These words have to be memorized... like the word "please" and "who" and "where" and "the". Other words in the game are: big, run, ran, if, to, today, what, then, well, ride, see, little, do, this, into, now, and, went, could, on, no, said, pretty, at, my, is, there, fun, all, say, are, under, some, soon, be, he, that, it, a, and an. There are 100 words in all, I think. We generally only play with about 15 at any one time, so there is repetition so he can remember them. I recommend this game if you plan on playing WITH your child, and often. There is no way a kid can learn anything from these all by himself or with another child.
88 comments| 310 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2012
We got this about a week ago to use now that school is over. I homeschool and want to keep them learning without them knowing they are learning. :) This is MUCH more fun than flashcards, but the same concept. I have a 5 and 6 year old and we played together. I made up my own rules...when they got 10 words that they read on their own, they'd get a small sticker or piece of candy. (I let them keep them in their hand and it was a great math exercise as well. If they had 7, I would ask, "How many more do you need to get to 10?") They were so excited that they were bouncing on my bed as we played. (Great idea!) So instead of telling them that they can't jump (as most moms do), I told them that if they got a "POP" card that they could jump "X" amount of times on the bed. They loved it! My older two even wanted to play! I got this for seven dollars and some change, but I'd pay full price looking back. Well, worth the money! The box is cardboard, but very durable, so are the popcorn pieces. I agree with the other moms that you should play WITH your child! Some of the words include: (easier ones like) me, in, as, a, but, I, go, ran, if, my, see, but, and, him, for, did, (harder ones like)said, with, some, ride, could, little, down, jump, play, under. So this could easily be adaptable if you are the one picking the pieces for them to read. (Or you could only put those cards in the box if you want them to choose.) You could play with several ages and only pick appropriate "level" words for each child, too. Again, well worth the money as it's fun, educational, and adaptable. So we'll get a full summer's worth of play (and more) out of this for sure!
on February 25, 2011
I am a kindergarten teacher and use this game with small groups to practice word wall words. We can play a quick game in as short as 5 minutes. Even my students who are struggling to read just a few high frequency words enjoy POP. It can be made easier or more challenging based on the words one includes in the popcorn cup. The words are printed on thick, glossy cardboard with one side colored to look like popped corn. After reading the word, I have my students use it in a sentence. They like to try to use all their pieces in a sentence.
It does practice reading words in isolation and the children love playing it.
on March 16, 2017
My five year old loves this and it helps with reading
on March 4, 2017
Great learning game
on August 17, 2010
When I first bought this game, I thought it would be an ingenious way to help my learning-disabled son, who struggles with reading, with his sight words. We had fun for a few games, but my son lost interest after awhile. It seems that the overly repetitive nature of the game can be a turnoff for kids, even though repetition can be a good quality to have in learning in general. The way the game is structured, in that a red POP! piece of "popcorn" means the player who draws it has to return all his/her "earned" pieces to the box, means that many sight words can be drawn numerous times, only to be put back and drawn again, even if the box's pieces are mixed. This may be helpful with some early learners (I'm guessing very young children around 4 or 5 years old would fare better with this game), but my son quickly tired of it and wanted to turn to something else after just a few plays. I have to admit that I didn't blame him; there isn't a large variety of new words to hold either a parent's or a child's interest.

Advantages are that the game is compact and portable, and the pieces are fairly durable and easy to clean. That being said, use caution if you have very small children (toddlers and younger) who are still prone to putting things in their mouths, as the "popcorn pieces" seem like they are small enough to cause a choking hazard.
on March 8, 2015
This is a great game idea but I did make a couple of changes to the rules so my five-year-old son doesn't get frustrated.
First, along with the box of words I have a glass jar full of colorful M&M's. At the end of the game everyone adds up how many sight words they got correct and they get to pull out that many M&M's out of the jar to eat. This makes it a much more appealing game to my son as he's smart enough to know that this is really just a way to do "homework".
Second, besides all of the sight word cards there are cards in the box that say POP on them. If you pull one of those out it's a negative thing and means you lose all the points you have earned up to that part of the game. Not the greatest idea for small kids. Because I knew that could make my kiddo really upset I changed the rule so that when anyone pulled out a POP card everyone gets to take one M&M out of the jar and "POP" it into their mouth right then. Now it's exciting to pull out a POP card. I know it's important to teach kids that there are always winners and losers in a game but I wanted this one to be all positive so he would really want to learn those words!
I am excited to have a way to work on sight words with my kindergartner and reward him at the same time.
on October 17, 2010
My daughter loves this game and is so proud of herself for knowing the words. Good way to introduce new words too. I told her teacher about it (1st grade) and she bought this for the classroom.
on April 12, 2012
Great game for children who are learning the Dolch sight words that most schools now include in the Common Core standard. Almost all of the pre-school and kindergarten Dolch sight word list are included- misses the color and number sight words off these lists, though (red, three, yellow, blue, two, four, brown, white) Also missing: ate, eat, too, came. We made "extra" pop corn pieces, out of some light weight white cardboard, to include them all.
on January 13, 2016
Perfect game for young readers! My five year old loves this game he received for Christmas although the actual rules frustrate him. We make up our own since the rules say to put back all your popcorn back in the container if you get a "Pop" but we just get up and "Pop"! (jump high in the air). He is learning so fast with this and enjoys it so much better than flash cards. Also when It is my turn to pick a popcorn, I give him a couple seconds for him to guess mine so he can take it from me. After all I want to make it fun for him as he is still learning them and when he is familiar with them I may play with the real rules. Highly recommended especially for the price!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.