Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: PRISM TL-4300GR Energy Star LED Desk Lamp with Anti-Glaring Filter, Grey
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

VINE VOICEon August 20, 2012
I highly recommend this great product.

I needed a new desk lamp to use at the dining room table when I spread out references for a large project. A normal table lamp simply did not provide enough illumination. As this is the first LED lamp I have ever owned, I was a little concerned that it would not be bright enough. Well, I was pleasantly surprised: it is quite bright. Also, the adjustable positioning features of this lamp allow me to point the light exactly where it needs to be. The lamp has three brightness settings; but I always use it (for reading) at the brightest setting.

According to the product description, this lamp produces 432 Lumens at 8.37 watts. I connected this lamp through a Kill A Watt (P3 International P4400 Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor), and here are the power consumption readings: brightest setting - 7 watts; middle setting - 5 watts; lowest setting 3 - watts. This is quite a nice savings, compared to ordinary light bulbs.

I bought this lamp for normal, every-day use; however, a month after it arrived, I had the opportunity to use it for backup lighting when the power line to my neighborhood was accidentally cut. I discovered that this LED lamp will run while connected to a modified-sine-wave inverter (supplied from a 20 amp hour battery). Since a CFL bulb cannot be operated with most modified-sine-wave inverters, this means that this LED lamp is a good choice for backup lighting. Since this lamp has even lower power consumption than a CFL bulb, you can maintain lighting on a battery-powered inverter for considerably longer.
77 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2012
I have had this lamp for around a month or so. Very nice quality. Good light for reading, studying. Very Stylish. If I could make one change, it would be to make the base just a little bit heavier ... that way when you adjust the angle of the arm it would be more secure. Sometimes the base lifts up off the desk when I am moving the arm. Other than that, very satisfied.
on January 24, 2013
Summary first:
I received the gray. An excellent color with aluminum accents. I think it looks better in person than in the pictures.
The base is plastic with metal inside and heavy enough for stability. The lamp is made of good quality plastic and some metal. Overall solid quality construction. The LED's are recessed in the thin lamp arm section so they don't shine in your eyes. The diffuser works well and evenly lights work area with no glare. Power consumption is very low at 8.4W on max brightness. The lamp is just barely warm after hours of use. Lamp control is by touch button similar to a touch screen on a smartphone. Touch button is lighted when off. There is no separate on/off button.

I love this lamp and would not hesitate to buy it again. The longer I have it the more I like it.

Light output: Max 500 lumen. For comparison 400 Lumens= 40W incandescent and 800 Lumens= 60W incandescent. Keep in mind that this lamps light is reflected down so it will appear to put out more light.

Dimming: 3 levels. No separate on/off, so you have to cycle down from high, med, low to off. No big deal for me. Touch control works well similar to a smart phone touch screen.

Light color: Halfway between warm white and bright white on the color spectrum. A good choice in my opinion. Not too white like office fluorescent lighting.

Light diffuser: Works well. You can easily see the individual LED's looking directly at them, but the lamp diffuser evenly lights your desk or work area. The LED lamp arm swivels about 15 degrees.

Adjustability of lamp:
1) BASE swivels only 45 degrees left or right. 90 degrees or more would be much better, but not a deal breaker for me.
2) VERTICAL arm adjusts nearly flat front or back. (almost 90 degrees forward and almost 90 degrees backwards.
3) LAMP ARM will fold down flush with the vertical arm and 45 degrees higher than horizontal. Sorry if that description is confusing.
4) LAMP ARM TILT is only about 15 degrees. This is enough tilt to keep the lamp from shining in your eyes.
Note: The lamp joint(s) do creek a little when brand new. This does not last long.

LED life:
You should NEVER have to replace any of the LED's. They are made of silicon. The same stuff as your computer microprocessors are made from (Intel) though the manufacturing process is much different. The built in power supply is much more likely to fail before any of the LED's.

Note: Not this model, but some models from this company have an AC adapter (110V-220V) that can be replaced if it goes bad. Prism TLC-4300BK Multi-Function LED Desk Lamp with Anti-Glaring Filter , Black

Power consumption:
OFF: 0 Watts
High 8.4 Watts
Med 4.4 Watts
low 2.5 Watts
Measured using Belkin Conserve Insight Energy-Use Monitor

Switched outlet: The lamp does not remember the last setting if used on switched outlet.

Emergency Lighting: Since this lamp uses so little power it can be used as emergency lighting if you have some type of emergency power source either generator or battery with 12 DC to AC 110V.

LED lighting costs have come down a lot but are still expensive. Still a good value at less than $100 considering the LED's will last a very long time, good light color, 3 light levels and excellent construction, materials and very low power consumption.

I also have the Prism TLC-4300BK (more expensive) that has 3 light color option and a few extra features. I always use it on the white color. Great lamp to, if you don't mind the extra cost.

If this review was helpful to you, please click "yes". Thanks
Update: Oct 2014: I've been using this lamp everyday for more than 1 1/2 years. Works great. Very happy with it.
on June 15, 2012
I was looking around searching for a nice LED desk lamp. I looked at other online retailers but they were very expensive. I came across Prism-lightening randomly and saw this lamp and it seemed perfect and it had a much better price. I choose the metallic grey one with anti-glaring. The lamp stands out nicely in my apartment. The packaging was very nicely done and gave a nice first impression of the product I was dealing with and gave me confidence I made the right purchase once I put the thing together which was easy and fun. This was an awesome product, highly functional and aesthetically pleasing!!!! Thanks!!!
on November 21, 2012
i like this light. i don't mind the 'tap three times' to turn it off .. minor inconvenience.
my wife has to use it and she is kinda picky. she loves it, too.
it's bright, doesn't monopolize desk space, is fairly adjustable.

minor gripes: no shades on it. i sit on the other side of it while watching tv and she is at her desk.
i had to add a shade so it wouldn't always shine in the corner of my eye.

light itself swivels forward and backward but not that much. should be wider swivel.

would recommend to others.
on February 26, 2013
But it's my fault. I didn't pay attention to the photo of the label showing the color temperature.

I'm used to the bright white light of a fluorescent desk lamp, which I need for the mountain of paperwork I have to deal with every week. When the bulb on my lamp burned out, I looked for a lamp that would illuminate a larger area.

While this lamp does do that due to the length of the piece that holds the bulbs, the light is too warm and yellow and not bright enough for my needs.

I really like all the ways it can be adjusted, and the dimming and nightlight options. If I had ordered this in white, I would have put it in my contemporary great room as a reading and TV lamp.

My husband has been using a cheapo bankers lamp twisted at a crazy angle to provide light to his computer desk, so I put it there. I can't imagine he won't love it, as he doesn't need bright light for paperwork. Since he uses his computer several hours a night, I think he'll appreciate the dimming options.

In the meantime, I ordered the much more expensive light by a different manufacturer that does have a bright white option. I didn't really want to spend the extra money because I don't need a lamp with a USB port and timer, but I really need good bright lighting, so hopefully that one will do the trick.

UPDATE: My husband absolutely loves this lamp, so I gave it another star (was originally 3). It's perfect for his use.
on January 11, 2013
I'm trying to change over to LEDs in my house to try to save some money. I found this great LED table light on Amazon and it had good reviews. I agree with all my fellow reviewers about this light. It's bright and the base is heavy enough so that it doesn't shift around on the table when you reposition the light. You can actually fold the light almost all the way down so the tip is by the switch itself. Lumination is controlled by a touch system on the round base. Touch once for the lowest lighting, twice for brighter and three times for the brightest lighting.

The only small issue I have with it is that regardless of whether the light is on or off, there's a small red LED light that is constantly on near the touch on and off pad. It's not bright or anything at all but in a dark room, you can kind of see the red dot across the room. It may be only me but I don't like it when something is on all the time. When I turn off a light, I expect everything to be turned off so that the room doesn't have little red lights everywhere.

Other than that, I think this is a great light.
on March 22, 2013
I read a lot of reviews before buying this lamp. I got it a short time ago and I was completely pleased with it the moment I took it out of the box. The first thing I noticed is the construction. This lamp reminds me of a piece of medical equipment, such as an X-ray machine or maybe a dentist's lamp. In other words, it looks like professional equipment.

The lamp has enough weight and a large enough base to keep it from tipping over. You don't have to worry about it shining in your eyes if you're an average-sized person because the dimensions on the lamp seem to keep the light in the right place. Besides that, I see 4 different swivel joints that allow you to adjust this lamp just about any way you would want or need to.

In my case, the light itself is perfect for reading on the brightest setting. I had some doubts about 8 watts of power being able to produce enough light, but the light is definitely adequate and I'm more comfortable with it than I was with a lamp with a 60 watt incandescent bulb before.

The reason I starting shopping for a new lamp is because I had bought a very cheap lamp that takes regular bulbs. Before long, the switch on this cheap lamp started going bad. I took the switch apart, which was a big mistake. These things are so poorly designed that you would be very lucky to ever get one of them back together again. I got it back together after cleaning some parts first.

Anyway, I needed a new lamp and had my mind made up not to buy something that was poorly built, ever again. Now this new PRISM lamp doesn't even have a switch, at least not in the usual sense. It has some kind of sensor instead, which I like. You just touch the glowing read LED to turn the lamp on, to change brightness settings and to turn it off.

I definitely advise anyone to go ahead and buy one. The only way I would change my mind about that is if this lamp turned out not to last very long. Right now, I can't see why that would happen. I'll do an update on that later on if necessary, though.

Conclusion: This lamp is several times better than any other cheaper lamps that I've ever bought. It's nothing at all like the cheap lamps.

Update: I've probably had this lamp for about 2 years and I'm still very happy with it. Definitely buy it.
on February 11, 2013
I have migraines and am very sensitive to light. I've been on a quest to find a great working lamp, but this one is probably not it. It is fine, don't get me wrong. The light is very warm, but like other reviewers noted, it only illuminates a small area. It doesn't seem special enough to warrant the money. I don't think I would buy it again.
on December 28, 2012
I got this for my desk where I work on a computer and read a lot. When I first got it I didn't like the "cool" tone of the light but then I noticed I can see books, etc. much sharper than with my old "warmer" light. It's also very easy to fold it out of the way when I don't want it (my desk is a bit cramped). The only thing I don't like is the red indicator light on the base when the lamp is off. Yes, this is a very subjective opinion, and picking nits. For the value and good reading light, I'd recommend this lamp.