Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Big & Rich GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 228 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 276 reviews
on February 21, 2013
I was very happy with this DVD of an old classic. It is interesting to see how color was introduced and some of the ways they played with color. Sort of like a history of color in movies, not in a bad way. This was the beginning of color as we know it now. The music was fabulous and acting was great. Just another comment, we sure have come a long way in love scenes. Kind of stiff, but once again, this was the beginning of an era. I think you will love this movie and enjoy the scenery and the story line. A true classic, a true collectors item to be enjoyed by all ages.
on April 7, 2013
This is the classic Rogers and Hammerstein musical! The music! The mood! The scenery! And yes! Liat! The most beautiful love scene in the history of love scenes! You will swoon! You will die of enchantment!
And no! I am not gay! I just love beauty! :-)
I went to Kauaii, Hawaii and explored the area around the Bay of Honalei where this film was shot. It is beautiful beyond beautiful. The water translucent soft azure blue. And white sand beach. Have lunch at Princeville Resort high above and survey the whole majesty of this movie! You can still hear the singing in the air! Bloody Mary! I'm Gonna Wash that Man Right Outta My Hair! And the greatest! Younger than Springtime! See the grottoes where they did the underwater scenes. And Bali Hai by the egg shaped mountain marking the beginning of the Napali Coast! Hike down this coast and find the place where the original King Kong was filmed with Fay Ray.
on July 18, 2007
I first saw SP on black and white TV in 1971 and '73 and was spellbound by the story and music. In 1978 while in New York City I saw an ad in the paper that it was showing at a movie theater in downtown Manhattan so I jumped at the opportunity. I was so glad I did because the theatrical experience is unforgettable. That soundtrack is done full justice in a big theater. You can see why SP got the Academy Award for "Achievement in Sound". Moreover, the big-screen experience, the gorgeous colors all come together beautifully. This happened again in 1986 at another special screening and I was lucky enought to repeat the experience.
Like others, I cannot understand why this film was criticized so harshly.
I found Mitzi Gaynor ideally suited for the part of Nellie. From the ecstatic heights of singing & dancing about being in love with "A Wonderful Guy" to depths of despair as she struggled with the demons of "Carefully Taught" racial prejudice, she conveyed the full range of emotions Nellie the Nurse experiences. The other actors were just as good. The movie packs an emotional wallop about bigotry that is bold for the time it was released and it darn near breaks your heart in the process.
It contains all the spectrum of emotions - laughter, tears, anger and of course love. Rodgers & Hammerstein's musicals certainly had what I would call "heart". They were not "fluffy" like the MGM musicals of the 40's. They had a message and the songs somehow stay with you longer. I find "South Pacific" one of the most haunting, but in a pleasant way. Like Bali H'ai, I long to visit my "special island" again and again via this film.
on February 15, 2014
One of the best movies I ever saw. This is the first and in my opinion the best version of the movie. The movie examines social issues that are relevant today even though it is more than a 50 years old. I found the race theme especially relevant as I am a white American from Kansas who is happily to married a beautiful island maiden. We have not been to the US mainland for more than twenty years because of the racial discrimination she would face in middle America. Interracial marriage in America's Pacific islands ( Hawaii, Guam, Samoa and the CNMI) is not an issue ..
on February 19, 2012
The South Pacific DVD was well worth what I paid for it. It included footage from the original Broadway show with Mary Martin and Ezio Pinza. In addition there was a 60 Minutes interview with James Michener detailing the history and background of his work, Tales from the South Pacific. This DVD also includes footage on the making of the film and the controversial issues South Pacific deals with - for the first time on Broadway and film - interracial relationships. While provocative at the time, the film makers did not back off from addressing this important issue. The inclusion of an option for singalong was great. It made the South Pacific party more than just watching the film.
on January 14, 2016
I remember growing up listening to the musical score of this on my mom's record player. It's romance back when true romance existed. Great old love story.
on June 17, 2014
I really like South Pacific. I watched it countless times as a child, and I still love it today. The music is fun, and the story is cute and romantic. This musical is a must-see and a definite classic.
on September 6, 2017
Romantic musicals do not get any better. From Michener's book, "Tales of the South Pacific", enhanced with the glorious music of Rodgers and Hammerstein, it doesn't get any better. Mitzi Gaynor is at the peak of her singing/dancing talents.
on June 24, 2010
I bought the South Pacific Collector's Edition DVD for my father (a navy man himself) a year after we saw South Pacific on Broadway.

He loved the show so much(and plays the soundtrack constantly) that I thought he would enjoy the DVD. I think he loves the movie just as much, if not more, than he loved seeing the show live. He has watched the DVD for the past 3 days straight. Now he is fast forwarding through the film to get to the musical numbers! He especially enjoyed the "dream/trance" sequence when the colors shift from realistic to an orange/pinkish haze.

One of our favorite scenes is when Billis is dancing around on stage in a grass skirt. Another hilarious scene is when Billis falls out of the plane and is escaping enemy fire while paddling away in a rubber boat (bullets falling just short of him)

What a wonderful cast of characters! This DVD makes a wonderful edition to any South Pacific lovers collection! :) Enjoy!!
on April 7, 2017
Great part of romantic history as a memorable musical !