- Series: Amphibious Operations in the South Pacific in WWII (Book 3)
- Paperback: 560 pages
- Publisher: BMC Publications; 1 edition (January 12, 2009)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0970167881
- ISBN-13: 978-0970167880
- Product Dimensions: 6 x 1.3 x 9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 2 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 4 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #440,328 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Pacific Express: The Critical Role of Military Logistics in World War II (Amphibious Operations in the South Pacific in WWII) 1st Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
WHAT READERS ARE SAYING ...
"A very polished and professional volume covering a major and relatively unheralded part of World War II ... I'm sure the author will receive widespread acclaim for providing the quality and quantity of naval history in PACIFIC EXPRESS."
- David H. Grover, CDR USNR (Ret), and author of "U.S. Army Ships and Watercraft of World War II"
"Bill McGee's account of amphibious operations in the Pacific and of the supply effort needed to support all operations there is meticulously researched and told with the skill of a born storyteller. PACIFIC EXPRESS and the other volumes in the series will make a proud addition to anyone's library."
- Gordon Smith, Chairman, Amphibious Forces Memorial Museum
"Besides providing statistics, Bill McGee provides a personal touch with interviews and references to persons who were actually there."
- Jim Higman, Merchant Marine Engineer (Ret) and editor of "California Central Coast U.S. Navy Armed Guard & Merchant Marine Vets WWII"
"Bill McGee hits another home run with PACIFIC EXPRESS. My time served in the South Pacific in WWII springs to life as I hear the bow doors open and the ramp fall on Pacific soil ... Reading this book brings back memories and tears to this eighty-plus year old LSM sailor."
- Royce N. McNeill, USS LSM-LSMR Association
"With PACIFIC EXPRESS, Bill McGee secures his title of 'Godfather of amphibious operations history.' This Volume III in his amphibious operations series anchors Volumes I and II as essential reading and reference for military history."
- Joe Flynn, California Director and Member National Board, USS LCI (Landing Craft, Infantry) NationalAssociation
"Although about WWII, much of what is written in PACIFIC EXPRESS applied when I served on the USS HELENA (CA-75) during the Korean War and afterward. Bill McGee does a thorough job of explaining military logistics in ways we can understand."
- Dave Brouchoud, USS Helena (CA-75), Jan 1952-May 1955
"Just finished reading Bill McGee's third volume in his Amphibious Operations series and it certainly passes inspection."
- Ron Swanson, Editor, Flotilla, LCT (Landing Craft, Tanks) Flotillas of World War II
"The editors have woven historical facts with firsthand accounts to create a behind-the-scenes look at military logistics in World War II."
- C.A. Lloyd, Chairman, USN Armed Guard Veterans Association WWII
REVIEWS FOR VOLUMES I AND II IN THE "AMPHIBIOUS OPERATIONS IN THE SOUTH PACIFIC IN WWII" SERIES BY WILLIAM L . MCGEE ...
Midwest Book Review
THE AMPHIBIANS ARE COMING! (Vol. I) is a deeply engaging biographical history of World War II ship-to-shore landing craft and their crews ... A welcome and informative addition to personal, academic, and community library World War II history and reference collections.
Leatherneck, Magazine of the Marines
THE SOLOMONS CAMPAIGNS, 1942-1943 (Vol. II) is intended to accomplish a mighty task: to encompass the entire Solomons campaigns in a single, detailed study. The result is a masterpiece ... The indexes and appendices are the book's crown jewels. A great read worthy of any Marine's time and efforts. -Capt. Scott E. Ukeiley
Marine Corps League Magazine
Enough gripping drama, heroism and heartbreak in McGee's almost encyclopedic THE SOLOMONS CAMPAIGNS to supply Hollywood with material for a century.
From the Author
"I dedicated PACIFIC EXPRESS to all the men and women -- military and civilian -- who served during World War II in logistical support roles for the front line combatants: ship builders, advance bases and floating service squadrons, Naval Transportation Service, Navy Seabees, Marine Corps Engineers, Merchant Marine,Naval Armed Guard, Army Transportation Corps, and Coast Guard. I felt these non-combatant service personnel were (and are) often overshadowed by those who served in combat."
- William L. McGee