Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kidde 21008873-2 KN-COPP-B-LPM Battery-Operated Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Digital Display, 2 Pack
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Holiday Gift Picks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Presto! Laundry Gifts for Him Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Sting Shop Now

Showing 1-10 of 1,880 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on May 6, 2014
With emergency products like CO detectors, it's hard to know if they really work unless you're actually being exposed to dangerous amounts of CO. And if a CO detector doesn't work, you wouldn't know; instead, you'd just be poisoned while thinking that nothing was wrong. The only way to really find out if it works is to put it in an airtight container and generate CO.

Because I like to play with dangerous chemicals at home, I decided to try this out. Adding formic acid to concentrated sulfuric acid causes the formic acid (HCOOH) to break down into CO and H2O. I got both of these chemicals for less than $10/liter apiece, plus shipping. I put some sulfuric acid into a graduated cylinder and placed it in a 1-gallon airtight plastic container. I then added small amounts of diluted formic acid and rapidly closed the container.

Sure enough, it worked! It registered CO concentrations that were well within the ballpark of what I'd expect to get with the amount of formic acid I added (using the ideal gas law to figure out what the maximum CO level would be). In high concentration tests, I found that the alarm goes off within 3 minutes of hitting 500 ppm (which is dangerous but would take several hours to kill, giving plenty of time to get to fresh air). In another test, it went off after about 20 minutes of CO levels around 190 ppm, which is dangerous but not lethal. Its peak reading is in the 910-920 ppm range; it doesn't display levels higher than that. Needless to say, it goes off within a minute or two of such high CO levels and anybody who sees 900+ ppm on the display should leave their house and seek medical help immediately.

It worked well in low concentration tests too. Due to some strange US regulation, it displays "0" for any reading below 30 ppm. If you press the "peak level" button, though, it will tell you what its peak reading was even if it was below 30 ppm. This works down to the 10-15 ppm range, below which you don't really have to worry about CO at all. Prolonged exposure around 50 ppm leads to an alarm after a couple of hours.

Another, simpler test (which anyone with a CO detector should do to make sure it's working) is to light a candle in an enclosed container with the CO detector, then close the container. The candle will burn through the available oxygen and a fair amount of incomplete combustion (releasing CO instead of CO2) will occur as it runs out of O2. I tried this and got 96 ppm with a small candle in my gallon container; a larger candle would probably release more. I then tried it by lighting a crumpled piece of newspaper in the container and got >910 ppm, which is reasonable because paper and wood experience pyrolysis, which releases lots of CO. Combustion of small amounts of acetone (a fairly clean fuel relative to paper) resulted in 300-550 ppm depending on how hot the fire got before I put the lid on; the lower reading relative to paper helps confirm that it's reading accurately.

In conclusion - this $20 detector works very well when tested with real CO. It's accurate, the alarm goes off at dangerous CO levels, it only goes off if CO levels are dangerous, and it might just save your life.
1010 comments| 456 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 30, 2011
I did a lot of reading on all the different type of CO1 detectors offered here on Amazon. I chose this model not only for my own home, but also for the customers I install CO1 units into their homes (I'm a contractor). This is not the cheapest model available and the same company makes one without the digital readout which is less expensive, but I believe it's worth the extra money to have the readout. That way, I feel that if there is a problem, it may be caught sooner than later if the amount of emissions are listed. This unit is guaranteed to last seven years as opposed to the other model without the readout at five years. It's one place I would not want to cut corners. I also prefer the types that are mounted at eye level and not into an outlet.
1010 comments| 391 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 15, 2013
I don't have a lot of experience with CO alarms, but my previous one was a Nighthawk model that was considerably bigger that lasted 7 years from date of Manufacture, but I think it was 1/2 that since I had it installed. When it died it displayed "Err" and beeped periodically. It was required to be plugged in with an adapter, and used a 9V Battery backup.

I bought two of these Kidde KM-COPP-B-LPM models as replacements so I could have one on each level. I wanted a battery only operated one so I would have more flexibility in placement of the device, and so it was easier to monitor without messy cords.

Installation was easy, but it would have been nice if they had mentioned a suitable drill-bit size for the plastic anchors to be inserted, not a big deal but they should have done it for the less experienced. On the positive side at least they privided anchors with the screws.

I was most pleasantly surprised with its compact size (uploaded image of it above light-switch panel). The instructions were fairly detailed and easy to read. I like that the unit has a internal timer and after 7 years will let you know it is time to replace unit. I'm a bit confused though because information on the packaging says the End-of-Life appears after 7 years, but a sticker on the unit says it shuts down after 10 years, I believe the instructions talk about the EOL indicator, but never mention a timeframe.

Overall this device was what I was looking for and Amazon offered a 15% discount if you purchased more then 1 unit so that worked out well too. Now I just have to hope for 5 years or more of problem free operation.
review image
55 comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2013
I ordered this to verify one (another brand CO detector with meter) I've had went off several weeks ago. The one that I had in the house for more than three years went off and showed around 40 PPM. Since it was over three years old, I thought that it was possibly bad. So I went to Wallmart and bought a cheap CO detector without a meter. I thought I was safe, because the new one never went off. Then I read that it will not alarm until it gets to 50 PPM. I decided to buy this Kidde CO meter. My old CO detector went off again and showed about 30 PPM this time (not as cold outside during this day). I looked at the Kidde and it showed 20PPM (the Kidde alarm did not sound an alarm though). I called 911 and the firemen came to my house and took readings with their meter and showed 19 PPM. They turned off my furnace and the gas. The gas company determined that my forced air gas furnace was blowing CO throughout the house, because the furnace heat ex-changer had holes in it. They said that CO builds up in your body and is potently lethal. I actually feel physically much better now that my furnace is fixed. Sure glad I got the CO detectors WITH a meter.
66 comments| 290 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 15, 2015
I ordered two Carbon Monoxide Detectors. One of the carbon monoxide detectors had a manufacture Date of Dec 14, 2013. Carbon Monoxide detector typically have a life expectancy of between 5 and 7 years, which makes that detector already 2 years old. I would expect when purchasing a new Carbon Monoxide detector, that it would be manufactured in the current year. I would like Amazon to send me a new carbon monoxide detector which is manufactured in 2015 or change the product description to notify the consumer that they may be manufactured prior to the current year of purchase.
review image review image review image
22 comments| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 23, 2012
There is no doubt that short and long term Carbon Monoxide exposure can cause brain damage and/or death.

A Carbon Monoxide Alarm (CWA)detector is even required in all homes in my state of Pennsylvania and many other as well; yet I know of no one who has one in their home here. So, after getting a new HVAC system I thought the time had come to be the first one on at least my block to break down and get a CMA.

A small number of other Amazon Customers have reported (one star) that their Kidde CMA demonstrated random readings,
Unfortunately, mine did as well.
Readings of 22-29 ppm were always the readings in my house for two days.
I then took it outside for a day and it produced the same readings!
This is not acceptable to me since 22-29 ppm are either definitely problematic or at least close to it, as follows:

[OSHA PEL] The current Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) permissible exposure limit (PEL) for carbon monoxide is 50 parts per million (ppm) parts of air (55 milligrams per cubic meter (mg/m(3))) as an 8-hour time-weighted average (TWA) concentration [29 CFR Table Z-1].

[NIOSH REL] The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) has established a recommended exposure limit (REL) for carbon monoxide of 35 ppm (40 mg/m(3)) as an 8-hour TWA and 200 ppm (229 mg/m(3)) as a ceiling [NIOSH 1992]. The NIOSH limit is based on the risk of cardiovascular effects.

[ACGIH TLV] The American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) has assigned carbon monoxide a threshold limit value (TLV) of 25 ppm (29 mg/m(3)) as a TWA for a normal 8-hour workday and a 40-hour workweek [ACGIH 1994, p. 15]. The ACGIH limit is based on the risk of elevated carboxyhemoglobin levels [ACGIH 1].

Therefore, an actual/theoretical (relatively) small leak of 22-29 ppm could be harmful be over time.
But, if readings of 22-29 are this units "zero point" then how would I know?
Why have this unit!? Not good.

So, I sent this "Kidde" back (for free) and exchanged it (Love Amazon!) for a "ProTech 7035 Lithium Battery Powered Carbon Monoxide Detector with Digital Display and Memory". This unit has a safer/lower sensitivity level of 10ppm (Not apparently 30ppm or more.) which, now that I have looked into it, is as low as I can find for under ~$700 or so!

Yes, the ProTech costs twice as much as the original Kidde; but only that...The reason is that it works on a different, more efficient and accurate principle (and is, of course, more expensive) than the Kidde.

At least for me and my family, I look forward to receiving it.
5252 comments| 305 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2013
We didn't know if it worked or not as it kept saying "0". We put it on a shelf and forgot about it. 10 months later it started beeping and read "56". I thought it needed batteries, so I changed them. It still beeped. We discovered a propane gas leak to out furnace.
on January 9, 2015
I bought this device for my new condo. The beep is loud. The battery life is also long. Because of that, it is an amazing device. It does the job well to detect CO (Carbon Monoxide). If you want to test it, turn on your car, put it behind the muffler, and give it a quick test. You'll see it in action. A must have for my kitchen, which is next to my bedroom. Super portable device since it doesn't require a wall plug.

Would gladly buy a few more if I move into a larger home.
review image review image
on September 22, 2016
This is wonderful. It goes anywhere, counter or wall or headboard or dresser, anywhere I want it. Batteries last forever in this thing. Clear display, easy to understand instructions, real peace of mind. Would recommend.
VINE VOICEon February 17, 2012
I can only give this a two star rating because the item I received, and I ordered 4 of them are of model# KN-COPP-LPM not the KN-COPP-B-LPM listed on this page. Notice the missing "-B-".

Word of caution, if you are expecting a backlit item, forget about it. Either Kidde is knowingly shipping the wrong items to Amazon warehouse or Amazon is shipping out the wrong item. Regardless, do not order this item here because it is not as described. There is high risk of receiving the wrong item. Will update this review if I get new any info on this mix up.

Here is the description of the item in two places on Amazon's page just in case they remove it.

"Large digital backlit display is easy to read, even in low-light conditions"

"From the Manufacturer
...The backlit digital display feature allows for easy viewing of carbon monoxide levels from 30-999 PPM (parts per million)."

UPDATED 2/17/2012
------------------
From Kidde's official homepage the model I received, #KN-COPP-LPM is not listed. Only #KN-COPP-B-LPM. Moreover, no where on their description page does it list the product as backlit. There is some serious problems with the description + SKU/model listed here on Amazon. Either Kidde is no longer manufacturing the backlit model and or they never had one to begin with?

Here is the PDF manual to Amazon listed #KN-COPP-B-LPM. There is no mention of backlit display anywhere here.

[...]

My personal conclusion: Kidde no longer makes the backlit model or never had one to begin with. Either way, the Amazon description is incorrect.