Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Packinghouse Daughter: A Memoir
Format: Paperback|Change

on May 26, 2015
Cheri Register was the daughter of a meatpacking worker at the Wilson's Meatpacking plant in Albert Lea, Minnesota. I was interested in finding a book information on the 1960 strike at the Wilson's plant in Albert Lea. This strike may have cost the incumbent Democratic governor of Minnesota, Orville Freeman, to lose re-election in 1960, at a time while the Democratic Presidential candidate, John F. Kennedy, was carrying the state of Minnesota.
on April 8, 2017
Thanks
on August 19, 2013
We read this for our book club, and it was only okay. The story about the strike didn't come until the middle of the book. Disappointing to have to wade through half a book before getting to what was advertised. Her writing style is just okay. There were several themes that could have been developed to make the book more interesting, but in the absence of that, you are left with "just okay".
on November 28, 2015
Great local interest story if you're from Minnesota -- interesting memories
on February 16, 2016
Great book!
on August 6, 2012
While I am about 10yrs younger than author, growing up in Albert Lea in the 60's,. was still guided by "The Factory". A quick look at AL now indicates what happens when a large manufacturing facility leaves a small midwestern town.
on September 4, 2013
Great portrait of small town life and work in the 50's and 60's and the rise and fall of a crucial local industry.
on March 2, 2010
We lived in Albert Lea, MN, during the time of the big strike there. I knew there was violence as one of our neighbor's homes had a brick thrown through their front window. But, other than that, I wasn't aware of the attitudes of people toward the packing house workers. I know her feelings were real to her, but as I read it, I wondered if she was being too sensitive. I cannot recommend this book.
on June 9, 2010
I checked this book out at the local library and it is now on my wishlist. Cheri Register has a writing style that is easy to read. Unlike many memoirs, she researched what she remembered, looking at written media and interviewing people who were involved in the labor and societal issues that she addresses in the book. There is so much information, that I found myself going back to re-read parts of the book.

The book is about growing up in Albert Lea, Minnesota in the 1950's. It is based on family experiences--how her family came to Minnesota, how they moved from being a farming family to blue collar jobs, how her family of introduction worked to acquire their first house, and the differing impacts that being in a "packing house" family had on members of her family.

The book addresses labor issues, unfair labor practices, the conditions that people worked in at the meat packing plant, and how the issues differed between packers in Albert Lea and nearby Austin, Minnesota--differences that occured in part because of the different philosophies of management. The book also provides a discussion on the need for unions and a bit of history on their development. Register includes information on how the media reported on the labor issues that led primarily to the strike of 1959. While the book may be titled "Packinghouse Daughter: A memoir" it is also includes some great historical information.
on October 29, 2016
What a wonderful read. I had this on my book list for some time and so glad I finally got around to it. Cheri is an exceptionally talented writer, and I will never again drive past Albert Lea without thinking of this book and her story. As another reviewer noted, the strike is a flashpoint but this story is rich with so much detail - Americana, small town life, and the innocence of the people, the country, and the world just prior to the late 60's. I was saddened that only 17 people have reviewed it since it came out. I am happy to add a review.