Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Weekly One ft Nina Nesbitt PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon ballerss3 ballerss3  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 26 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 40 reviews
on May 7, 2017
I was sorry to find that Tom Harpur died last January, which has made my reading of this book somewhat poignant. I take his main thesis seriously, namely, that what we today call Christianity derives from ancient Egyptian religion and from universal archetypal sources which became reified, concretized, and literalized in the Gospels.

The only significant flaw is that the author does also acknowledge the major contributions to Judaeo-Christianity from the "Ur-civlizations" of Sumer and Akkad, with their Divine Son theologies and their Most High God, El-Elyon. Surely these concepts, even if they are tied to Egypt, had their own unique contributions to make to ancient Middle Eastern religion. Therefore, the author should really have had the Sumerian/Akkadian theology share the stage with Egyptian religion.
on August 10, 2017
I appreciate the thoughtful scholarship and imagination that pervades this erudite book. Harpur here points a way forward for a Christianity mired in traditions and practices that no longer work, if they ever did work other than for the few who benefited at the top.

Harpur reclaims Jesus in a powerful way. Read this book and have your mind and heart expanded.
on July 22, 2015
I greatly appreciate the in depth study done by Harpur in penning this book. I plan to read many of his references. He was careful to address most of the topics that modern Christianity is built upon and present his argument for a mythical Jesus with precision, showing most points of view. I am disappointed at the church's founding fathers but their error is so clear. This book has explained many in-congruencies and inconsistencies that I encountered in Christiandom. Thank you, Mr. Harpur.
on April 29, 2013
A book that reminded me how sad it is that so many of us have lost the ability to see things a little deeper than the literal way. The ancients did have a richer view of the world and a deeper understanding of ourselves and our limitations. This book is a great contribution to our world view, whether it be in religion or any other discipline.
For me, it does support my view that many religious leaders have for centuries focused on the trivial and appealed to the worst aspects of our nature simply to justify their existence. The results are all around to see - bigotry, phobia's, literalism to the point of banality and hatred abounding.
Well worth reading.
on September 5, 2017
It is not my story but author made an effort to document his material well... I wish all religious people would be able to think like him. Thank you.
on June 26, 2014
If you have an open mind and would like to consider how religion came about from times of old this is a book that will give you wonderful things to consider. One important point is why is Christianity an exclusive community when it claims to be (inclusive) a religion for everyone? Religion is one of the major causes of war and strife in our world and Christianity is a leader in encouraging such outrageous behavior. They claim there is only one truth and one way to salvation and it is called Christianity. What sinners we truly are.
on January 12, 2014
Every Christian should read this book, great information and factual, I have studied the Bible and taught History for over 40 years, as this book reads I have never found any History concerning the Bible, It in my opinion is a bunch of mythological stories accumulated from other ancient writings. A big factor is almost every Christian wears a cross, yet the Bible also states that the so called Jesus was hung on a tree. Plus hundreds of other inaccuracies can be found. In short, if all the apostles were Hebrew, Arabic how come the all have English names ? Read this book it will open your eyes !
on October 20, 2016
This book did not debunk Christianity for me. Rather it strengthened my faith. I like to attend mass and pray the rosary. I find more satisfaction and meaning in these activities after reading this book. The adoration of the Magi clearly says that Christ calls all of us, not just Christians.
on June 27, 2017
This is a book that all "believers in the story of Christ" should read to give them a perspective on what other possibilities exist other than blindly accepting the stories written in the Bible.
on August 12, 2016
I did not totally agree with everything in this book, but I did agree with his general thesis that the Christ was more spiritual than historical. It was very though provoking book. An Immensely important read for all who consider the relevance of christianity to be a primary subject today.