Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Nothing More GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 12 reviews
on August 4, 2010
One of the biggest things that strikes me time and again is the disbelief by Friends, family and others, that Pain is real... How Many scars do they need to see? When they say it is all in your head, the reply would be ...of course it is! Where do you think all of the nerve signals go!!!! If we break our leg and our head does not work, we feel no pain! Sad to say that those who can't believe a human could endure such pain, would probably not even believe Carols story... But I am here to tell you TN is real and it is a real killer. So I ask those who see this ...read the book and know that if those who suffer from TN could get rid of it, they would at all costs!

Thanks for sharing your story Carol
on October 11, 2008
This book helped me in a sense that I could assure me, "I am not alone."
This book does not offer you the solution/cure to TN.
However, it gave me the warnings for the future medical/legal decisions.
As a TN patient, although the type of TN that I suffer and the type of the TN that the author suffers are different, I have gone through the very similar experiences with dental/medical/legal professionals.
So it was very difficult and relieving for me to know that I was not alone.
This book is good for "Reality Check."
This book gave me a courage to live despite of everything, since now I know that there exists a person who has guts to keep living.
I thank the author.
on January 25, 2016
A passionate and inspiring story of persistence and overcoming hurdles in dealing with the medical community.
on June 12, 2013
Excellent Reading. Let me know what not to do with this health challenge. Recommend this reading to all who suffer or know someone who suffer with this challenge
on January 2, 2007
Amazing. I was 29, 3 years ago, when I developed TN. I had a few of the same procedures and doctors as Carol. I also had an MVD, which basically ruined me for a long time.

Anyways, it was nice to hear someone else's tale about the horror of TN. I thought I had a hard case, but Carol is a true inspiration to me. She really went thru a lot and, it turns out, is a wonderful writer!

This was a book based on medical info. But it wasn't boring at all. It was a real page turner. I couldn't put it down and had to finish it in a few days. I plan on loaning it out to others who are dealing with the "fun" of TN issues. Thanks for a fabulous book!
VINE VOICEon September 21, 2011
Frankly, I think this book should be read by every doctor, regardless of his or her specialty. A Pained Life is a tense and often sad journey into the world of trigeminal neuralgia and the constant raw pain it produces. Additionally, it is a book that chronicles the medical and societal abuses that are common for patients who live with complicated, chronic conditions. That the author, Levy, was made vulnerable by pain, and that several of her physicians took advantage of this for their own agenda was criminal. Levy's story also contained many instances when people who should have cared about her, took advantage of her or emotionally abused her. Her story is very compelling. All in all the content of this book is definitely worth reading. My reason for giving it only three stars is that it could use a good editor to fix areas of repetitiveness and disjointedness. At times, as Levy jumped back and forth between past and current events, I found it difficult to understand what she was referring to and how it pertained. Additionally, I was frustrated with Levy's expectations that her father would ever change or could be expected to behave in a responsible manner. After a while, her interactions with him made me almost as angry with her as they did him. However, given what Levy was put through and the amount of pain she was dealing with (I know how it can bring one to their knees), I came away from the last page impressed at her brave battle.
77 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 22, 2016
Don't bother to read. Nothing but lots of whining and complaints about doctors and the multitudes who tried to help. What kind of person sues her own father when he has been her major financial supporter?
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 19, 2013
The medical experience Ms. Levy writes about is 30 years old. Not current to today's insurance run health care system. Ms. Levy doesn't give any advice from her experience.
I am critical of this book because of my personal experience. I also have very severe Trigeminal Neuralgia as she had along with no family support. Also losing my job and career as a single, self supporting women.
2 years ago I survived brain surgery with post surgical onset of seizures. I have also been diagnosis in the last 6 months with Trigeminal Neuralgia, Glossopharygeal Neuralgia and 5 cervical compressed nerve roots. Talk about hell and pain, I have it 4 times worse than Ms. Levy could image.

* The whole book is just whine, whine, whine. There is NOTHING about perseverance, determination and believing in one's self.
* For testing, one of her hospital stays was for 5 weeks!! I had major brain surgery and was out in 3 days. No one, I mean no one these days would be allowed to stay in a hospital for that long. Especially just for testing.
* Her experience was in a time that doctors would give you opioid pain medication. You have to beg for pain medication now.
* Her father had terminal ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) and she sued him for not paying one of her medical bills. This is discussed in length in her book.
* Half of her book is whining about how terrible her family is.

Yes, her point of not being believed by doctors does still happening today. Especially for middle aged women. Women are so easily dismissed as being hormonal or depressed. I too have experienced this frustration.
Unless you enjoy wallowing in misery, don't buy this book.