Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 195 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 205 reviews
on September 6, 2013
As far as I am concerned, the purpose for using a slow cooker in the first place is to make cooking easier and more convenient. A good slow cooker recipe should be mostly a list of ingredients and how long to cook them on low or on high. Maybe a few simple preparation steps like chopping and opening cans or jars. NOT every single recipe starting with "in a large, heavy skillet" or "line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil" and especially not BOTH of those things for one recipe. In my opinion, the directions for a GOOD slow cooker consist of throwing the ingredients in the crock and turning on the heat. A really GREAT slow cooker recipe requires cooking for at least 8 hours, the idea being that you can start the dish before you leave home to go to work, and have a fresh, hot meal ready for you when you get home. What exactly is the point of a "slow cooked" Baba Ghanoush recipe that takes 2 hours in the crock pot?!

Additionally, in my opinion, PALEO recipes do not include things like "Paleo-friendly" bread, crackers, or croutons!!! I mean, REALLY?! In the entire book, there are maybe 3 recipes I will actually make, including the stuffed cabbage rolls and perhaps the chocolate cake. Meanwhile, I continue my search for a useful collection of Paleo recipes for my crock pot.
77 comments| 517 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
John Chatham, Paleo Slow Cooker: 75 Easy, Healthy, and Delicious Gluten-Free Paleo Slow-Cooker Recipes for a Paleo Diet (Rockridge University Press, 2013)

I've seen a huge number of criticisms of this little tome in reviews, mostly from people who can only imagine a slow cooker a receptacle for raw, unprepared ingredients that get cooked while you are at work (none of whom, also, seem to have a “keep warm” setting on their slow cookers if they get caught in a traffic jam on the way home). If you start reading reviews of this book at random, you will quickly enough discern them. The best thing you can do once you have is ignore them; these are the kind of people, I think, who would complain if you decided to use your grill for something other than burgers and dogs. (Or if you put them on something other than white buns.) This is not to say there are not valid criticisms of the book, but “because it posits the ability to cook differently with a slow cooker” is a strength, not a weakness. You have a problem with the author recommending serving “paleo-friendly” breads or crackers with things? Don't do it. They're not part of the recipe, they're serving suggestions.

First, the good stuff: Chatham goes soup to nuts here. The expected entrees are backed up with a hefty dose of soups, dips, and sides, even a handful of desserts. (I understand this triple-mini-slow-cooker thing is becoming A Thing, and I saw a bunch of recipes in here that would work perfectly for that sort of entertaining/potluck offering.) There are very few recipes in here I am not salivating to try; I've already done a few of the soups and been quite happy with them.

The not-so-good: things tend to get a touch repetitive. Which I might not have even noticed were it not for the wide variety of applications on display here. But then, on the up side, when you do major grocery shopping, you actually don't have all that much to buy. (You just have to buy a whole helluva lot of it.) And if you are one of the unfortunate souls who don't have a keep warm setting on your slow cooker, a number of these recipes run less than eight hours in duration, so to use them you'll have to go lay out the twenty bucks for a newer model. Considering the time savings and utility, I think it's a pretty good investment.

This is especially good for those who are generally cooking-phobic; since there is some prep work to be done on the stove with a lot of these recipes but the slow cooker handles the heavy lifting, it will give the novice a small introduction to the stove, while stopping short of getting into the complex stuff. For the cream of mushroom soup, for example, you saute the onions and mushrooms before dumping them into the slow cooker, which puts the cook at the stove for 5-10 minutes tops and only requires the absolute basics, so a fine way to introduce, say, teenagers who've never cooked before to the art—especially if they're fond of cream soups that are instead made with lowfat coconut milk instead of actual cream.

I'd have liked to see a little more thinking outside the box (or, as it were, inside the produce box—Chatham sticks to the usual vegetable suspects rather than embracing the wider world of “stuff American don't generally eat”), but as a basic starting point, I found it worthwhile. ***
on June 7, 2013
I've tried a lot of the recipes and their just ok. Most recipes want you to cook things before you put them in the slow cooker. . . That's not what I consider slow cooker recipes. . .i have found other Paleo books more informative and helpful.
33 comments| 122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 13, 2013
Oh, let me count the reasons why Paleo Slow Cooker is the way to go when preparing meals for you or your family! First, everyone can relate to the busy rushed schedule of kids, work, school, dinner, house work...it is too much for most people to juggle. With a Paleo Slow Cooker Recipe Book whole food nutrition is packed into a savory, tender, healthy dish that is being cooked while you are busy doing other important tasks of the day. The method of slow cooking is beneficial to your health because, unlike other cooking methods, slow cooking locks in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants into your food. This slow cooking cookbook includes breakfast, soups, breads, snacks, appetizers, vegetarian dishes, and even desserts. Such recipes as Hazelnut Bread, pumpkin and apple butter, stuffed portabellas, southern style sausage and collards, and apple-cranberry cobbler are all included in this time-saving, nutritious, and delicious cook book. Paleo Slow Cooker is just the right cookbook for your budget, health, and time-management!
on March 19, 2013
This cookbook has a ton of great recipes to choose from. I love having it on my Kindle for Mac over a book version, because it is so easy to navigate on the table of contents and the pages aren't folding closed on me while I'm using it. One thing I like about this Paleo cookbook is that it has an extensive vegetarian section. Many Paleo diets focus so much on meats they neglect vegetarian meals. My husband doesn't like to eat much meat, so having several vegetarian options available in this cookbook is a great thing for my family.

Another great thing about this cookbook is it offers many different types of foods to choose from all in crock-pot form - breads, desserts (my favorite!), main dishes, and soups! Recently, our cousin that comes for dinner quite often has decided to stay away from dairy and gluten. I'm so glad I now have a go-to cookbook for meals when she comes for a visit.
on June 10, 2013
This cookbook was the answer to my prayers as of lately. In my most recent health kick I bulldozed my way into the world of paleo diets and cross-fit, all on top of a full-time job and a family. Sure, I saw results, but just as quickly as I lost weight, I saw how much time I was losing prepping all of my meals. The paleo diet is not for the low-maintenance dieter...or so I thought until this cookbook. Of course my slow cooker was the answer! The cookbook not only provides simple and clear instruction and time-saving techniques, but it also helped me save a good deal of money on my ingredients and over-all meals. The recipes themselves are also well written, easy to follow, and most importantly: delicious! It even includes several venison recipes, which are hard to find in most cookbooks. The last section of the cookbook gives a great explanation of what paleo and gluten-free dieting really is, and what it can do for you! This cookbook is perfect for paleo newbies as well as seasoned gluten-free aficionados looking to save some time and money.
on May 9, 2013
People can go to the store and pick out a dinner at the deli, but when it comes to putting together a recipe, people freeze. The same frozen feeling comes about when looking for a cookbook; do you want simple, a diet book, or something to make you a professional chef? The Paleo and Gluten-Free Slow Cooker by John Chatham provides non-stressful recipes that are not only healthy, but also easy to prepare! This cookbook is intriguing because it is a combination of the paleo, modern nutritional approach, and a gluten free diet - an allergy difficult to become accustom to.

Most riveting about this cookbook is that there are small descriptions before each recipe that explains what each recipe is similar to, or, when it would be good to make. The first recipe is hazelnut breakfast bread that is a "lighter version of steamed brown bread." When cooking with a recipe you have never tried before it is great to know what the outcome should be like! This cookbook provides recipes with simple ingredients, large portion outcomes, and there is no stress because the directions are easy to follow. Not to mention there are a variety of recipes, from breakfast breads to dinner soups! Anyone cooking for fun, for their family, or just trying to learn would love this book.
on December 27, 2013
I prefer to try several recipes from a cookbook prior to writing a review, and I really wanted to give this book a good review. The recipes sound good, but, in fact, they were bland and tasteless.
I started with the ropa vieja from the breakfast section. I ended up adding my own twists to the recipes because, as written, it tasted like wet meat. The next recipe I tried was the chicken cacciatore, and I found the results to be the same as the ropa vieja. I had to add additional ingredients just to make it palatable.
I've been eating Paleo for almost a year now, and I know that Paleo doesn't not mean tasteless.
Very disappointing.
on July 20, 2014
Tried my first recipe with this cookbook, which was the toasted coconut bread. There is no recommendation for what size/shape crockpot works best with the bread-baking recipes. Mine is a 6 qt oval, which clearly matters since I followed the recipe exactly and in 2 hours on high the edges are burnt and the center is raw. I scraped it out, trimmed off the burnt edges and am trying to salvage the bread in the oven. For anyone who has cooked gluten-free paleo recipes, you know how expensive the ingredients are. This was a very frustrating exercise. I gave it 2 stars instead of one because the meat dishes look good and will probably come out better, but I haven't tried them. I recommend doing some prior research elsewhere on the proper size/shape slow cooker to use and look to see if anyone has really been successful baking bread in them without using some sort of baking insert.
on July 25, 2014
First off, I am not a strict adherent to the paleo diet, so this review won't touch on the accuracy of any of the ingredients. I like paleo recipes because I have lots of food sensitivities and find that I can eat most paleo foods without trouble!

So, as a "slow cooker" cook book, it definitely has areas where it falls short, notably that many of the recipes call for pre cooking many of the ingredients, which is not necessary for a good slow cooker meal, and in my opinion just adds extra steps. I just skip these steps for most of the recipes, especially the stew and soup recipes which instruct the cook to sautee and brown the meats before putting them in the crock pot. Again, totally not necessary.

I gave the book four stars, because I really like the book as a framework for creative slow cooker recipes. I don't always follow the instructions, but definitely use the combinations of ingredients to create some good meals! I love the soup and stew section because there are unique recipes that go beyond the traditional "beef and potato" or "chicken and mushroom" (although those are there as well!). There are fun recipes like coconut chicken curry, Mediterranean beef, and pork and sweet potato that I wouldn't think of on my own!