Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 430 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 933 reviews
on October 15, 2013
I have used mine daily for almost 7 years now. It may be old but in this day of Droids, iPhones and the like I have never found a sharper tool. Palm's calendars, notepads and contact management tools are still the gold standard. If you need a device that is a real workhorse--and not just something to play with, you just might find one of these beauties will fit you perfectly.

If you use 64-bit Windows 7 or above, you might want to visit aceeca.com for 64 bit drivers. That way your desktop software will hot sync. Works great on mine. Also, if you need the space, palmpowerups sells drivers to support SD cards up to 32 Gb. They do cause a very slight amount of instability but nothing a rare reset and re-seating of the SD card won't fix. mine goes for weeks on end with nary a hiccup. Totally worth it for the extra storage space. If you have screen calibration issues, look for a place that can install a new glass digitizer.

And finally, a wireless IR keyboard or a bluetooth model will increase the usefulness by 1000 percent. There are still thousands of programs out there for these units. I have seen everything from photo editing software to a CAD program.

Again I love mine. I am thinking about buying a spare. Mine is in constant use and I just don't want to be without one.
on June 11, 2011
I purchased my Palm TX back in 2007. I mostly used it with SuperMemo and DioPen's Korean text input/display hacks to study the massive amounts of vocabulary they had us reviewing when I was learning Korean at the Defense Language Institute while in the military, but it also served as a valuable task tracking tool.

Overall, the unit is quite nice. The screen is high resolution (for a PDA from the period) and full color. Wifi support is convenient, although these days you might run into 802.11n WPA2 access points that won't work with this model. Bluetooth support is probably the best part of this PDA, since it makes wireless hotsync a reality and eliminates the need for special USB drivers in newer versions of Windows.

The grafiti input method is relatively natural and quick to use. I definitely prefer it over any of these virtual keyboards these new smart phones have, but I'll admit that it's inconvenient having to always use a stylus.

The major downfall of this specific model was the touch screen. It's noticeably thinner and softer than the older and higher end Palm PDAs, which allows the stylus to get closer to the screen, but it also has a tendency to cause jitters in the input. It's also the part that tends to fail the most. I actually removed the plastic touchscreen and replaced it with an aftermarket glass one just months after buying it. Fortunately, the new glass touchscreen has lasted all these years without a single problem. With that modification, this PDA becomes probably one of the best in its class.

More recently I noticed the battery life had grown insufficient. I ripped it out and soldered in a replacement with an even higher capacity, and so far it's back to working great again.

Overall I'd say this is a great product if you still need a Palm PDA, however with the advent of smartphones it has grown fairly irrelevant for a lot of users.
on February 4, 2006
I can recommend the TX as a good buy, but with some cautions. I briefly flirted with switching to a pocket PC, but decided to stick to machines running the Palm OS since that is what I am accustomed to and it is certainly adequate for most of my needs.

I purchased my TX as a replacement for a Clie (which was itself a replacement for a Palm). The Clie proved to be far superior to Palm PDAs of its day, but Sony is now out of the PDA market, which after a bit of shopping around led to my decision to return to Palm. The TX is a reasonable replacement for the Clie in the sense that it includes all of the same functionality (and has some improvements: larger screen, vertical and horizontal view modes, longer battery life). The only downside is that it is a bit bulkier. I knew this when I purchased it and hoped that the added features would compensate, and I feel that they do. If I only wanted the Clie functionality, the TX would be worth 5 stars; however, the added promise is wireless access and that isn't fully up to snuff.

I use a secured wireless network with WEP key, and and am happy to report it is fully supported, so internet access is not a problem area. As at least one other reviewer has noted, Palm's VersaMail is less than adequate. My internet provider is Comcast, which is in the list VersaMail supposedly supports. I can use it to receive email, but even though the VersaMail "advanced" configuration indicates authentication support is on, send mail doesn't work. Comcast lays the blame squarely on Palm, and rightly so, which I think is enough for a one star deduction. Of course, if you can access email through the web (which I can with Comcast), this is not a make or break issue. The web browser could be better, but works OK, especially given the screen size. I don't have a blue tooth enabled phone, so I can't say plus or minus regarding that feature, nor do I do text messaging. I had Documents to Go on the Clie, and while it's nice to have it on the TX for occasional use, word processing is really something for full size computers. Ditto for music (get an Ipod).

Palm's installation software is one of those that insists it knows best, which would probably have been OK on a system that had never had a PDA using Palm OS. In my case, the setup program insisted on installing in my Clie directory, which resulted in Clie specific programs getting picked up by Sync, which crashed the setup and resulted in the TX being rendered unstable (couldn't sync and had errors on startup). I got back in control by doing a hard reset on the TX (you have to go to Palm's TX site to get the user manual to find out how) and starting over, this time making sure the Clie installs were not picked up.

If you are considering Palm's hardcase, you need to be aware that it has at least one annoying design flaw - you can't get to the stylus without flopping the TX away from the case. I plan to peruse the after-market to see if anyone has one without this drawback.

One final note: the USB cable has itty-bitty plastic alignment ends for plugging into the TX that I'm sure will break off in time. I've also found that you have to push it in hard prior to sync to make sure the signal gets through. Perhaps the optional cradle doesn't have this issue.

8/14/2012 update: As an FYI, I pounded this thing for over 6 years before it finally called it quits. Its only maintenance was when I replaced the battery a couple of years ago (a real feat of courage, since the battery is soldered in and not designed to be replaced). After noodling around for a couple of weeks looking at what kind of device might best replace it, I finally decided none of them could and so just bought myself a new one (there are still some for sale at reasonable prices). I've been using Blue Tooth via Palm Desktop ver 3.2.2 by ACCESS on Win 7 X64 for Hotsync (and as a result have nothing good to say about BT), but albeit quite slow it did do the job of restoring my data and configuration (hint, you have to turn off the USB Hotsync connection option on Palm Access or you will get a port already in use error when the T|X tries to connect via BT). The long and short of it is the new T|X is now an absolute clone of the old one. There are several reasons I decided to stay with this evidently dated Palm technology: 1) the calendar is far better than any I've tried on other devices (and besides it has my travel history on it for many years) 2) its alarm will actually awaken me 3) it crosses time zones easily 4) my contacts list is very easy to peruse and is loaded with useful information on each entry 5) it just isn't that hard to carry in my pocket with my cell phone (which has a lot of the same features, but just isn't as helpful), and anyway the other usual PDA knick knacks occasionally come in handy.
on January 7, 2015
Yes, yes, everyone wants phones that do everything, but we did not. This was to replace an old Palm that my DH had carried for many years. He calls it his 'memory'. He was worried that he would have to type all of his information in, since he had 'protected' a lot of it on his old one, but the info 'beamed' over to his new one with a little time spent on exploring it. It is Bluetooth and Internet accessible, but we don't need or use it for that. Now he can make all his lists, have all his references to hand - and not have to worry about buying a service contract or apps just to keep track of his day-to-day business.
on November 21, 2013
This Palm can do a basic (but outdated) wireless Internet, has full Bluetooth, an excellent display and battery life, and finally fixes a lot of the bugs and patches missing features while adding new ones, such as multi-tasking in Applications when the Home button is held down. It's literally the only tablet (in honesty, mini-tablet) outside of the bug-riddled LifeDrive that Palm made and it is great to hold. My only favorite to this Palm is the m130, as this one gives a wide assortment of features.

The back cover can sometimes be annoying, but it easily clicks and slides on and off as needed. The case is a deep, navy blue color with a black, polyester-like flip-back cover, and it presents the standard four buttons and five-way Navigation control in the center. The SD card is really simple--simply push in to insert, and push down to pop the card out where it can be pulled.

The power button is tricky to press on the T|X; use the front buttons whenever possible. Otherwise, the build is very solid, like the rest of the Tungsten series, and unlike the iPaq I had tried to buy and use a few years ago, dropping it didn't break the screen.

As for usage, even for beginning computer usage, the operating system is as simple as any other Palm system released, with 5.4 "Garnet" included; in comparison, it honestly is like a jump from Mac OS 8 with the original Palm OS 5 to Mac OS 9. Palm is very simple to use, and if you use mobile sites when browsing and leave your router with WPA1 level protection only or lower, the wireless still works rather well. Anything higher will NOT work, and full sites may cause Blazer to fail to load the site, or even a panic (i.e. hot reset). Do NOT expect this to behave like a modern-day handheld would--it's a vintage computer that works as such. It is still great for music with PocketTunes pre-loaded and Documents To Go by DataViz for doing Word documents and Excel spreadsheets. Apps are still available for it--some I recommend include iSpin (a mini UI shell with a file manager) along with the Mac OS 9 skin or the Windows XP skin, Khroma, and VfsDOS. Also, if you have extra time, several classic games are a joy to play on these little machines. CardTXT is also a great addition, with plenty more exploring you can do on Bing or Google. For more performance, though the wireless does not work in most builds, find and download an old copy of Gnu/Linux for Palm.

In summary, I recommend this if you're a Palm enthusiast, or if you want to find a cheap Linux tablet-like computer to play with. Otherwise, this is a great little machine, and deserves it's place in Palm history, though Palm is gone now...
on December 6, 2006
Based on some of the reviews, I bought this product with some trepidation. This is my 4th PDA. All have had the Palm OS operating system. My most recent PDA was a Sony Clie. It operated trouble free for two years. However, it recently met with an unfortunate end on an asphalt driveway. In selecting a new unit, I decided that I did not want to go through the learning curve of a new operating system and I wanted built in WiFi. This limited me to the Palm TX or the LifeDrive. From there, weight and function for the dollar, lead me to pick the TX.

I have had the TX for 5 days. I did not have any problems getting it up and running. (I made sure that I downloaded all the latest software drivers and patches ). My Outlook data and Clie settings loaded with no problems. I have loaded music on to it and I connect to the internet daily (the 801b is a bit of a pain since our wireless at home is normally set for 801g). I like to use the TX for quick checks of email, without having to boot up the computer and get distracted reading the news and sports. Downloading of my Yahoo mail into Versamail has worked flawlessly. I have not had a problem with battery life when using the internet. I have not used a memory card. I will have to try that next. The screen resolution is superior to my Clie and a choice of display options allowed me to select colors easiest on my eyes.

It has been easy to find functions, perform set ups and use the functions of the unit, without having to consult documentation. However, this is probably due to the fact that I am already very familiar with Palm OS. I am apparently one of the few people in the world who liked the old Graffiti. The TX uses Graffiti 2. Graffiti 2 is more like regular print, which has required some getting used to.

I have no use for Bluetooth at this point. The TX is compatible with my old ThinkOutsidetheBox infra-red keyboard.

I also purchased the cradle, which I regret. It takes two hands to remove the unit from the cradle, unlike my Clie, which I could grab and go. Given the fate of the prior PDA, I also bought a leather case. The leather case also hides the obvious plastic housing of the TX. (the comparable HP beats the TX on looks in my book). If one buys the case, it is probably easier to simply use the cables that come with the unit. That way, one does not have to remove the TX from the case in order to charge it.(Update - actually the cables do not work well with the unit inside of the case either)

Update - 4 months later
I added a one 1G memory card, which I keep in the unit at all times - no problems. After installing the correct driver - my ThinkOutSide key board works flawlessly. I also enjoy PocketTunes. I put music and an audio book on it, which was great for travel. It also picks up wireless networks reliability when I traval. It is better than my laptop at snagging the "hot spot". This has been the most functional and fun Palm I have owned. I hope it lasts at least as long as my Clie.
on March 11, 2016
Ordered it and it would not sync with my computer. After spending quite a bit of time with someone on the phone, they assured me that a new one would be sent to me because they could not get it to sync either. That was about a year ago. I have written them twice, asking for either my replacement that was promised or a refund for the money spent-have not heard back either way. I really thought this was going to be a great product, but I guess I will never know.
on May 26, 2006
I have a couple Pocket PCs but have been a Palm user since the first Palm Pilot came out.

I am very pleased with my Palm TX, which I purchased after trying to defect to the MS Pocket PC for 6 months. This product just works, and it works well. It's battery lasts all day. It has a lot of third party applications. But most importantly it is easy to find the information I need when I need it.

For those considering a PDA don't even bother buying the microsoft product unless you are wanting to show off the pretty display. Other than the media function, the pocket pcs are much like windows. Compared to the Palm TX, Pocket PCs are slow, prone to hang, hard to navigate (same Window type start menu). You even get the chance to restart your PPC frequently just like windows.

Due to Palm quality control problems (noisy hissing screens), I tried to switch to PPC. With the introduction of the TX, they have fixed the problem and seem that they are back on track with the most functional PDA on the market. After 6 months of use, I am glad to be back on the Palm OS.

The only complaint I have about the Palm TX is the processor seems to be a bit slow at times with a split second delay from click to execution. Still hands down, the best PDA product on the market.
on September 29, 2007
I've had it with the [hard to read] green screen, so I figured it was time to upgrade. I knew it would be a pain because I sync with 2 PCs (one Vista PC at home and one XP PC at work), and the one at work I sync with Outlook calendar/tasks and Palm Desktop memos/contacts. Complicated! I've had a Palm since 1998, so I have a ton of data that I wanted to preserve. Before you get started, make sure you sync first and make backup copies of the entire Palm directory (so you know what it looked like before and can recover the data files if the installation/sync fails).

Cons: Manual and user-friendly upgrade instructions did not accompany the product. You have to go online to read FAQs, user manual, and troubleshooting guidelines to figure out how to upgrade. I had to uninstall and reinstall the software (old then new) several times, and each time I installed, I got a different outcome. I spent hours on 2 nights trying to upgrade at home, then another couple of hours upgrading at work. I'm still not done because I discovered that I need another software (Intellisync) to split the sync at work (sync with Outlook for calendar/tasks and sync with Palm Desktop for memos/contacts). The conduit that accompanies the Palm T/X only lets you sync with Palm Desktop OR Outlook -- all of it (memos, contacts, calendar, tasks). A cradle does not come with the Palm T/X -- it's extra. The cover (case?) that comes with the Palm T/X looks cheap and doesn't even cover the Palm. It looks too small. It's not easy finding stores that sell Palm cases, and I don't want to buy it online (need to see and feel).

Pros: Much easier to read than the older models I had (m500 and IIIx). The screen is a nice size and you can change from portrait to landscape very easily. Wi-fi connection to the Internet is very easy and simple to use. Documents To Go comes with the bundle. The media accomodates video in addition to pictures, so it's cool watching videos on it. The big plus for me is the color...that's a big step up from the older models I had. Once you get past the installation of the upgrade, it's fun to use and enjoy new features. Perhaps it's much easier for new Palm users than for upgraders.
on May 26, 2016
Arrived dead as a doornail, but fired up once plugged in for several hours. This replaces one that developed a large blotch on the screen when I accidentally sat on it.This technology is ancient, but I still love it. I do wish it had come with the "factory" screen guard. These guards are hinged with leather, which sooner or later tears. Palm Pilot Forever!!!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.