Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo  Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

on October 12, 2017
This is my favorite book !!
on January 14, 2017
If you want and desire to know a bit about African lore and customs, then this is the book that could provide you with some insights into what they really were ans are. This is almost the African Dante, Amos Tutuola theorugh his Palm-wine Drinkard!
on June 3, 2014
It's a different sort of english to read, and takes a bit of adjustment to get in to the linguistic universe. Still, once you make the adjustment, the language fits the storytelling well, disturbing in its depictions at times. My partner and I don't have the context to interpret meaning from everything, though we do have a dark sense of humour and do actually read this book before bed time, town by town.

Don't read this book on drugs, if only to avoid the redundancy!
on August 10, 2016
My life in the push of ghosts is i my life in the bush of ghosts is an enjoyable read, the accent and the cadence is very unusual. It's very dreamlike and reminds me of a boys version of Alice in Wonderland. The book is very dark and descriptive.
on January 23, 2017
I always wanted to read this for the African myths and story telling so I am reading now. The writing is informal grammatically but I didn't want to read it for the quality of the prose.
on September 17, 2017
GreaT book, great read!!!
on April 13, 2007
The introduction to My Life In the Bush of Ghosts, the first book in this two-for-one volume, makes you think that it's an anthropological work for class, not a story you're reading for fun. That's a shame, because these two stories are worth reading in their own right. But in comparison to the standard Western literary format, they are unquestionably different.

Most Western literature I read focuses on a cohesive narrative with a beginning, middle and end, a specific plot, and rich descriptions of characters, places, and emotions. That's not what happens here. Rather, the story unwinds in a very linear fashion, bit by bit, as the character passes through the ghost world he has stumbled into, seemingly at random. There is no surprise expressed by the protagonist when, for example, he meets a ghosts with televisions on her hands, or is transformed by a ghost into a monkey to go climb trees and pick nuts for the ghost to eat. These things are just stated as given, a part of the ongoing adventure. The passage of time is also a very fluid thing. A chapter, or several, can describe the events of a single hour and then a single sentence can describe the passing of a decade. It's a loose, free-flowing narrative built on the imagination of the author, and his ability to dream up ghosts wild, unexpected, and grotesque. It's an enjoyable ride but it takes some getting used to.
on September 27, 2016
Different and interesting. The writing style is different but you get the hang of it fairly quickly. Recommend that people read this.
on May 18, 2016
I enjoyed this so very much. I loved the broken, unsteady English and all the strange characters & twists and turns. A must read for lovers of stories.
on April 10, 2015
I haven't read this yet - I know I will love it and hope to be inspired to paint from it. I once lived in Africa for many years. 60 years ago my dear
friend told me I must read it and I never did. Now is the time…...