Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 27 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 40 reviews
on November 26, 2010
In attempting to convey the imagination and experiences lived by his people, Amos Tutuola wrote a novel, The Palm Wine Drinkard and My Life in the Bush of Ghosts(1954),that earned him both encomium and opprobrium. In this novel, he communicates not only the attitudes and value systems of his characters but also their speech mannerisms. Amos Tutuola's The Palm-Wine Drinkard is the written form of a Yoruba composite folktale, which attempts to simulate in writing the live performance of a competent Yoruba praise-singer. Tutuola resorts to linguistic experimentation as a creative writing canon purposefully as illustrated in his lexical choices in the novel. In his attempt to translate African cultural particularities into the English language,this writer transposes ethno-texts into the written word. All in all, The Palm Wine Drinkard and My Life in the Bush of Ghosts is a success story in linguistic innovation in literature. Readers will emerge from a reading of this novel incredibly enriched!
[Dr. Peter Vakunta is a professor of literature and literary theory]
on January 14, 2017
If you want and desire to know a bit about African lore and customs, then this is the book that could provide you with some insights into what they really were ans are. This is almost the African Dante, Amos Tutuola theorugh his Palm-wine Drinkard!
on June 3, 2014
It's a different sort of english to read, and takes a bit of adjustment to get in to the linguistic universe. Still, once you make the adjustment, the language fits the storytelling well, disturbing in its depictions at times. My partner and I don't have the context to interpret meaning from everything, though we do have a dark sense of humour and do actually read this book before bed time, town by town.

Don't read this book on drugs, if only to avoid the redundancy!
on August 10, 2016
My life in the push of ghosts is i my life in the bush of ghosts is an enjoyable read, the accent and the cadence is very unusual. It's very dreamlike and reminds me of a boys version of Alice in Wonderland. The book is very dark and descriptive.
on January 23, 2017
I always wanted to read this for the African myths and story telling so I am reading now. The writing is informal grammatically but I didn't want to read it for the quality of the prose.
on September 17, 2017
GreaT book, great read!!!
on April 13, 2007
The introduction to My Life In the Bush of Ghosts, the first book in this two-for-one volume, makes you think that it's an anthropological work for class, not a story you're reading for fun. That's a shame, because these two stories are worth reading in their own right. But in comparison to the standard Western literary format, they are unquestionably different.

Most Western literature I read focuses on a cohesive narrative with a beginning, middle and end, a specific plot, and rich descriptions of characters, places, and emotions. That's not what happens here. Rather, the story unwinds in a very linear fashion, bit by bit, as the character passes through the ghost world he has stumbled into, seemingly at random. There is no surprise expressed by the protagonist when, for example, he meets a ghosts with televisions on her hands, or is transformed by a ghost into a monkey to go climb trees and pick nuts for the ghost to eat. These things are just stated as given, a part of the ongoing adventure. The passage of time is also a very fluid thing. A chapter, or several, can describe the events of a single hour and then a single sentence can describe the passing of a decade. It's a loose, free-flowing narrative built on the imagination of the author, and his ability to dream up ghosts wild, unexpected, and grotesque. It's an enjoyable ride but it takes some getting used to.
on September 27, 2016
Different and interesting. The writing style is different but you get the hang of it fairly quickly. Recommend that people read this.
on May 18, 2016
I enjoyed this so very much. I loved the broken, unsteady English and all the strange characters & twists and turns. A must read for lovers of stories.
on April 10, 2015
I haven't read this yet - I know I will love it and hope to be inspired to paint from it. I once lived in Africa for many years. 60 years ago my dear
friend told me I must read it and I never did. Now is the time…...