Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 143 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 159 reviews
on May 20, 2017
This is a very wonderful camera. I also have a DSLR and I think this takes as good photos, but I don't
have to changes the lens and it is not as heavy or large. Obviously it will not fit in your pocket, but it is
not that heavy to carry around all day. It features a Leica lens, has a CMOS sensor and a 24X optical
zoom (600mm), Intelligent zoom doubles that, equal to 1200mm. The Auto mode detects common
shooting scenes like portrait or scenery, macro, etc. Lots of manual modes as was as panoramic, video,
creative modes, etc. Has a large 3" high resolution LCD screen and an EVF which is an asset in bright
sunlight. My only (minor) complaint is that the on line PDF manual was not that easy for me to follow.
However, I do believe that the quality of superior to most pocket P&S cameras, and I would certainly
recommend it. Incidentally, the FZ50 is similar, but has less zoom. I am really thrilled with this camera.
on December 10, 2012
After 3 weeks with this camera I can absolutely recommend it as probably the best all-around camera of this type.

I was in search of a fast long zoom "bridge" camera after getting a Kodak Z990 8 months ago that took , what I thought at the time, was great pix. I researched and bought this Panasonic. I compared to all the other cameras in this genre that i could, including trying them at the stores. (this camera wasn't available locally so it was a case of hoping/researching) .
After having the long zoom experience with the Kodak I wanted a long zoom but was dis-appointed with the Kodak's very erratic focusing, very slow performance when shooting and the occasional lock-up. All this was causing too many missed shots and increasing frustration !

I just didn't want to have that be the "norm" for these "smaller sensor", long zoom type of camera.

This camera restored my appreciation of this style camera!.

The performance is great . The time to first shot, shudder lag/writing to memory is extremely quick and the auto focus is very quick and accurate. Out of 10 quick shots on different types of moving/not quite stationary (eg. pets/kids) maybe 2 aren't perfect ! This was, like i said, very quick/ fast as possible between shots so that is great when trying to catch those elusive shots that you will usually only get 1 chance to capture.
After experimenting with the auto settings and almost all the custom modes/settings I have found that the auto settings will deliver great pix as advertised but I prefer using the "P" mode, applying a +1 for sharpness and color, -1 for noise reduction and place an upper ISO limit of 400 to control noise and maintain a nice sharp picture. Even inside ( with flash at that max ISO ) these settings are good for my tastes.
There are adjustments for just about everything and experimentation will reveal a setting that is perfect for your taste and then you can save that as a custom mode that you can recall at will !!
The built in picture enhancements are fun and can also make some darker pix be enhanced and much improved.
There is a "Hand-Held Night Shot" mode that is great for dark shots without the flash.
I did not buy this for video recording but I did try it and the quality is as good as the reviews said! Will be handy if a situation comes up that I need video but I am caught with out the video camera.
The battery is good for at least 350+ shots (depending on flash/zoom use) and charges quickly.

The only slight limitations of this camera (and all of this type ) are slightly slowed focusing in dark scenes and at extreme zooms (again, limitations of the sensors ) and this camera has some focusing options to help get the occasionally hard to focus subject focused properly!

If you are looking for a camera with the zoom ability ( this camera, with the proper set-up, has an enhanced, not digital, zoom of 48x with out visible image problems ) I recommend this camera, especially at the current, less than $300.00 price.

To get better pictures or performance you would have to make the jump to a full-fledged DSL camera/extra zoom lens combo that is at least 3x the price of this handy camera.
on July 22, 2013
I like it! Bought this after checking out the Nikon P510 (and a newer comparable model) and the FZ200. Price was right. Have been using Nikon pro-level SLRs (film) and digital for as long as I can remember, wanted something smaller/lighter for those times when I don't want to lug around a larger body.

The Lumix is great. Many features, accessing them using menu system quite intuitive, or at least easily accomplished with a quick check of the "advanced features" manual/file (downloaded as PDF). The Leica lens is quite sharp, reasonably fast. I don't have anything but favorable things to say re: lens sharpness, freedom from distortion, and so on. I suspect that although the lens is marked Leica, optically it's probably not on par with more advanced Leica lenses, and I doubt Leica would harm its reputation by putting out a bad lens with their brand name on it.

One major limitation (at least for me): No RAW file output. Nonetheless, the hi-res JPEG images are great, so long as you don't keep editing and repeatedly saving the edited files. (Edit copies of the JPEGs, not the originals.)

Low light focusing a bit slow, but nothing insurmountable, although none of the 100+ photos I took the first weekend the camera was in my possession were of fast action. Zooming in or out seems sort of tentative: zoom goes slowly at first, then suddenly (it seems) continues to zoom in or out as operator desired. The lens might actually benefit from slower but less tentative or jerky changes of focal lenght.

Viewfinder (as opposed to LCD, to which one can easily switch) takes a bit of getting used to, as once a photo is taken the stilled image of the photo remains in the viewfinder for several moments before returning to a live view. The nature of the beast, I guess. On the other hand, there seemed to be exceedingly little shutter lag.

One reason why I opted for this as opposed to, say, the Nikon Coolpix P510, is that the front of the lens is threaded for various photo filters, the most important of which to me is a polarizer. Sadly, and it was a deal-braker for me re: the Nikon, the Coolpix lacked filter threads on the front of the lens. And, unfortunately (and in contrast with the FZ60's more expensive sibling, the 200), no lens shade was provided. However, appropriately sized snap on hoods are readily available and for not much money.

While I said I was pleased that the Leica lens has front threads for filters (whereas the Nikon does not), I should mention that I think the threads on the FZ-60 weren't deep enough. A polarizing filter indeed screws on, but if rotating it counterclockwise the shallow threads make it easy for the filter to unscrew completely and fall if not being held securely.
The Lumix IS light, and although I have somewhat large hands, it poses no problems with grip or manipulating the controls.

In short, I'm highly pleased with this little Lumix, especially considering its feature set and the price. I can't think of (nor have found) any issues with this camera that would lead me to give it a poorer recommendation. Indeed, I probably short-changed the camera with a 4 star rating. No regrets whatsoever about the purchase.
on January 7, 2013
I bought this camera because I'm really into amateur photography (I love taking photos of scenery while on vacation or just in the backyard, and of course, family and friends) but I'm not a photographer. I wasn't quite ready for a DSLR and that many settings and options, but I wanted more than a point-and-shoot. My previous camera was a high end, but basic point-and-shoot Panasonic and I always received compliments on how great my pictures turned out, and I loved the Leica lens all the different scene settings available, so I decided to go with another Panasonic. Not at all dissapointed! I have yet to really play around with it, but through the Holidays I used it for family and some outdoor pictures and it's great! The zoom is awesome, scene settings really help (there's even a setting for taking a photo through a glass window - awesome when I was trying to get shots of swans in the lake without going out in the snow at our cottage!) I can't wait to use it more!
on July 29, 2013
I just don't understand why Canon DSLRs get the "focus" they do. For the most part, I am enthralled with the Panasonic Lumix line. I have several of them in addition to my new FZ60 (e.g., ZS19, ZS9, FZ 28, FZ40, etc) and am enthusiastic about the soon-to-be-released FZ70. Additionally, I own a Canon SX40, a Sony HX20V, and a Nikon P510. I love photography and a photo that emulates an SLR as much as possible--without the time, energy & finances they demand.

I am pretty much the go-to person for recording all kinds of events from bees buzzing around my hydrangeas to parties to karaoke night and live music events at my local pub, so I need a camera that is up to the task even when "setting up a shot" is not possible. The FZ60 is a high quality point and shoot with lots of tasty features that will occupy any photo hobbyist. It takes amazing portraits and macros with little effort and the response time is exceptional. It shoots almost as swiftly as if I'm using the burst feature and even when using flash, is surprisingly speedy (definitely not so with the SX40, with which the word "Busy" appears much too frequently for my tastes).

The FZ60 also has in-camera creative options (having the most fun especially with the 1-color feature). I'm surprised that some people say there is noise on the zoom when shooting video because I haven't really noticed it and I've shot video in a variety of circumstances ranging from silent to loud. But I can without reservation tell you that the quality of the video is outstanding.

All around, the FZ60 is a big win for me! As was the vendor and well, with Amazon… I NEVER lose!
review image
on June 16, 2013
Ease of use is excellent, quite intuitive if you have any prior experience with digital camera menus. It fits my hands very well and the size makes the camera very convenient to carry. Optical quality is what one would expect from Leitz optics. The automatic functions seem to work very well, but I've been a photographer for going on 50 years, so I have my own way of shooting and set the camera accordingly. So far, the only thing I'd add is a variable output control for the flash. The camera may have that function and I just haven't found it yet. If anything changes, I'll let you know, but overall, I am more than pleased with this camera.
on May 22, 2013
I bought the Panasonic FZ-40 about 2yrs. ago and was very happy with it, but I wanted something with more zoom and the price was right so I purchased the Panasonic FZ-60. The two cameras are very much alike except for the following advantages the FZ-60 has. Panoramic photos, better low light shots, and you can take a number of pictures just by holding the shutter button down and when your done shooting just delete the shots you don't like. For example if someone blinks at the time you click the shutter button. The zoom is better but if you zoom in too much the pictures show some noise or graininess. I love the camera and am very happy I purchased it. At the time I bought the Panasonic FZ-40 back in April 2011 I paid $317.00 for it through the Amazon Warehouse with a like new description which was right on the money. I bought the Panasonic FZ-60 in April 2013 when Amazon's price was $289.09. Before I bought it I checked the internet for the lowest price, which I found to be $239.00 at another website. I then phoned Amazon and told them what I did and gave them the website so they could verify my story. The man told me because the $239.00 price I found was more then a $20.00 difference Amazon would match the $239.00 price, which they did. I have bought thousands of dollars of merchandise from Amazon and have yet to be disappointed. I have never had a problem, buying or returning from Amazon. I wish all business's would be so nice to their customers.
on April 26, 2013
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ60K: Bridge Camera for the Outdoors

The FZ60 is bargain, a true bargain. It doesn't do everything, but it comes close. It isn't "the absolute best" in any one category, but it is at least "very good plus" in the categories that matter most to a lot of folks: stills, video, zoom range, shooting performance, image stabilization, battery life. It has a mid-level Electronic Viewfinder that can save your cookies in bright sunlight, and a very good wide viewing angle LCD for general shooting purposes.

The notion of a bridge camera is broad and vague: it can mean just about whatever you want it to. It seeks to fill the gap between a shirt pocket point and shoot snapshot camera and a larger, heavier, more expensive DSLR system camera. At one time, the pocket camera was something like my old Canon Powershot A610, a 4X zoom 5 megapixel camera powered by four AA batteries, with a diminutive two inch articulated, low resolution LCD display and an inaccurate optical viewfinder. Back in its day, it was considered living large by many, including myself. The "5-megapixel CCD captures enough detail for photo-quality 13 x 17-inch prints" as was the ad-brag back then. In 2005, it carried a $299 retail price: a bargain at $100 less than the Canon A95 it replaced from a year prior, with its zoom increasing from 3-4x and its 2 inch LCD generous compared to the A95's 1.8 inch screen. While the A95 took 30-second video clips of 640 by 480 pixels in size and ten frames per second, the A610 grabs 640 by 480 at 30fps until you ran out of memory card or battery. The A610 was a bit over three quarters of a pound in operation.

We've moved on from the dark ages of 2005, to the point where the old Canon A610 now isn't considered pocketable or to some folks, even usable. Shutter lag was .6 seconds or so, with shot to shot cycle time of about 1.1 seconds, with flash recycle time of about 5 seconds or so. This camera today looks like a crude, expensive contraption compared to the lighter and more pocketable long zoom cameras such as the Canon SX230 / SX260 / SX280 group, and the Panasonic ZS-15 / ZS-20.

The basis for selecting the Lumix DMC-FZ60K is not to displace the comparatively inconspicuous pocketable travel zoom genre of camera, nor is it even to seek the best image quality regardless of price. The motivation here is an upcoming trip back to South Africa, and the desire to carry one affordable optical unit with good battery life replacing what I might otherwise carry: a Panasonic ZS-15, an LX7, and a dedicated video camera with one unit of practical size, weight, and zoom.

The approximately $290 street price 24x optical / 48x "Intelligent Zoom" FZ60K is very close in operation and envelope dimensions to the more celebrated Panasonic FZ200 (about $490 street). In fact, they both share the same owners manuals. The decision was made to go with the FZ60K on the basis of its lighter weight, smaller bulk, and smaller price than the FZ200, the Canon SX50, or the Sony HX200V. The Sony, as of this writing, is about $60 more, has a 30x zoom, but it was the Canon SX50 for about an extra $80 - $100 that offered the most appeal with its whopping 50x optical zoom capability. Actually, for some, the Canon may be the better choice. For me, it wasn't, despite the Canon's superior zoom range, RAW capability, and articulated screen. It was close, but the Canon lost out due to its approximately one third heavier weight, extra bulk, slightly slower lens, and weaker battery life (CIPA 310 shots). The primary stopper for me was the choppy 1080/24p video capability of the Canon compared to the 1080i60 capability of the FZ60. If HD video is of little interest to you, the Canon might well be your choice, at least until the FZ70 Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ70 16.1 MP Digital Camera with 60x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3-Inch LCD (Black) becomes available: the apparent winner in zoom wars.

There is a theory of image quality that holds that the higher pixel density, the less light each photosite can get, and overall image quality suffers. While the cleanest, sharpest pictures are certainly related to the largest sensor with the lowest pixel density along with the brightest lens, the reality is that there is a lot more to it than that. The FZ60 has a dinky 17.5 megapixels photo receptor 1/2.33 CMOS with an effective 16.1 MP ability, so you might think that spells doom for critical image quality. In this case, thankfully it is not so, and of note is that some makers such as Sony don't subscribe to this at all, for their HX200V sports an 18.2 MP sensor (18.9 MP photo-sites) on the same postage stamp sized 1/2.33 sensor . . . a whopping 20.4 MP on their forthcoming HX50 travel zoom. There is no doubt a limit to pixel density than can be effectively used, but it isn't an exact science nor readily apparent. High pixel cameras are apparently effective primarily for marketing, but as long as the images meet your personal standards of quality you do have more room to crop your photos after the fact, while still retaining enough image size to give you enough pixels per inch to do a 16 x 24 inch poster. Based on viewing distance, even a 5 MP image may net you 108 ppi, more than the 80 ppi often designated as needed.

Panasonic has priced the FZ60 two hundred dollars less than their flagship FZ200 to make the FZ60 either the best on the market in the "price performance" ratio, or worthless depending on your needs and budget. If you need RAW, an articulated screen, a higher resolution electronic viewfinder, or are shooting regularly at full zoom under dim light . . . the FZ200 will empty another two hundred dollars from your wallet instantly, and you'll likely feel richer despite your thinner wallet. None of these are of great importance to me, for other cameras (LX-7) handily exceed the no flash, low light, low noise capabilities of any long-zoom bridge camera if that is requisite for the application. In the vast majority of outdoor still and video uses, you won't be able to tell the difference on any 8 x 10 framed print, much less a website image.

The FZ60 24x zoom lens has a 35mm equivalent range of 25-600mm , starts out at an F2.8 aperture, slows to F4.1 at 300m, and finishes up at F5.6. It invariably lets a bit more light through than the 16x Panasonic ZS-15 (F3.3 - F5.9) and the 20x Panasonic ZS-20 (F3.3 - F6.4). Its battery life of 450 shots dwarfs the 260 shots of the ZS-15 and the 230 shots of the pocket long zoom Canon SX260 as well.
It isn't all rosy with the FZ60, however. While Panasonic touts the 10 fps (frames per second) in 16.1-megapixel full resolution capability of this camera, it isn't happening. No way is anyone going to get ten frames per second at full resolution: two or three is it. It is one of the obvious problems when you start moving large files around; if you are hoping for machine gun 16.1 image burst shooting with this camera, you can forget it.

What this camera offers, despite its $280 - $290 acquisition cost, over a shirt-pocket long zoom is an included external charger that saves you a few pesos against the slow, in-camera charging of several compacts, a color electronic viewfinder (202K), longer battery life, and manual focusing ability needed for cutting through brush, grass, and foliage. The flash unit is more powerful than many compacts; the 24x zoom is a fifty percent jump from the ZS-15 and similarly specified cameras. Some will find the larger size of the FZ60 far easier to hold steady than some of the flyweight pocket cameras, and it does retain the industry-leading Panasonic Intelligent Auto mode, generally peppy autofocus, start-up time, very good optical image stabilization, and brisk shooting performance. It adds eight new filter option special effects to the Lumix platform: the star effect and one point color are the most interesting.

Although a bridge camera can just as well be called a compromise camera, at this price point ($283.52 delivered in my case) there isn't much to carp about, for its image quality is noticeably better than the competitively priced Nikon P510, Fuji HS30EXR, and the more expensive Sony HX200V. Although a jump in price, the Canon SX40 with its 50X lens is quite worthy of your consideration, especially if video frame rate at 1080p is not important to you, and you typically shoot with a tripod. You might call the FZ60 a stripper version of the FZ200, but the strip in price far exceeds overall camera performance in favor of the FZ60.

For a camera bag that offers plenty of room for quick retrieval and replacement of the camera, I like the Case Logic DCB-305 "Camcorder Kit Bag."Case Logic DCB-305 Camcorder Kit Bag - Black Another bag that fits, but fits the FZ-60 quite snuggly is the Lowepro "Edit 100 Bag." If you want a bag that allows no movement at all, you'll want the Lowepro but I'm happier with the Case Logic overall. Rather than getting soaked for extra Chinese batteries with the official Panasonic logo, I picked up a pair of the "Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 DMC-FZ150 Digital Camera Battery - Premium DMW-BMB9 Battery" generic batteries, allegedly 1200mAh meaning higher capacity than OEM. They charge right up in the Panasonic charger and work beautifully in the FZ-60, with at least as good of operating life as the supplied battery.

There are plenty of manual controls to satisfy most folks on the FZ-60. I shoot in 14M, 3:2 aspect ratio for the most part as it matches the three inch LCD's dimensions. In "IA" mode, indoors, low light, rarely would the camera shoot at more than ISO 400. Though the burst mode isn't much of a burst at all, the camera is speedy enough that you won't find yourself waiting between shots, the flash recycles quickly as well, and the video is just as bright as the stills with ambient lighting.

I did do some side by side comparisons of the FZ60 against the Panasonic ZS-15 pocket zoom that uses the same sensor as the well-received FZ150 Panasonic 24x bridge model. A few things were easily discerned: the FZ60 LCD is far better, with essentially unlimited viewing angles, though both are 460K resolution. The FZ60, despite its sensor's higher pixel density, delivers sharper, clearer images. Where 16x images taken indoors across the room in dim lighting were shot at ISO 400 with both cameras, the aperture dimmed to F5.9 in the ZS-15 vs. F4.2 with the FZ-60.
The FZ60, perhaps due to its carefully polished plastic body made by Old World Craftsmen is lighter than you might think in field use.

Consider that a well-regarded DSLR lens alone, the Nikon AF Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm, runs a thousand dollars or so, gets close to three pounds, yet cannot compete with the utility of the FZ60's 25-600mm zoom range. The Intelligent Zoom feature, though not strictly as good as straight optical zoom, is a lot more than just a gimmick.

I've uploaded a rabbit taken at 48 times zoom at sunset, handheld, just as it came out of the camera, along with a 48x goose and red-winged blackbird as well, all taken hand-held, as well as a macro image of a toad. Additionally, I've uploaded a few images taken during a recent safari to South Africa, that shows off this camera's field capabilities a bit.

To sum up the FZ60, I'll call it "very good plus" in most every way. Very good plus images, very good plus video, very good plus shooting performance, very good plus LCD screen, very good plus battery life. It is fun to shoot with and is as close as you can get to an all-in-one outdoors still image and video acquisition system for $285 in a one pound package.

Copyright 2013 by Randy Wakeman and randywakeman.com .
55 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2013
Before this camera I'd never owned anything but a simple point and click. I'd gotten so ok pictures with those and occasionally the rare great one.

This one here has lots, and lots, and lots of ways to get lost. But takes very good pictures even on automatic.

If you pick up a book that explains what things do what or better still take a class in photography, you'll end up taking pictures every bit as good as some cameras that cost two to four times as much.

The zoom is great, the battery life is great, you can adjust fstop, shutter speed, ISO, focus, and all sorts of other things that will be meaningless to beginners until they've used it and read up on the art of photography. If I were going to make a complaint I'd like a few more of the toys the $800+ range cameras have, but for under $300 that would be utterly silly.

This is the book I'm using to learn more about photography:Digital Photography: A Basic Manual

But half the fun of learning is getting a big memory card and going out and fiddling with the settings as you take multiple shots of people, places and things and then looking at what settings (in the properties of the pic) produced the best pictures.
on August 4, 2013
This camera is terrific. I bought it for a trip to Yellowstone where I knew is would need both high zoom for animals and wide angles for scenery. It performed well beyond my expectations. It was light enough to take on hikes, much better than my DSLR. It was awesome to not have to change lenses. It was fast enough that I never missed a shot I wanted. I got amazing shots of wolf cubs who were more than 1/4 mile away. Best of all, the camera compensates for my uncontrollable hand shake. None of my shots were out of focus - this is the first camera I can say that with.

I am a hobby photographer only. Many of the camera's features are wasted on me because I rely on AF. However, the camera is smart enough to make up for my inexperience. It worked as well in low light at my kids' school play.

There are some things,I'd like to see enhanced. The LCD doesn't work well in bright light, so I relied heavily on the viewfinder for composition. However, the AF doesn't focus in the viewfinder, so I learned to trust the light and sound that indicate focus. I probably wound up taking more shots than I would have otherwise because I couldn't really tell whether the shots were good until I reviewed them later. But in this time of 20gb flash cards, there's no real cost associated with that.

I think this is the last camera I will need for a long time,