Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 11-20 of 176 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 206 reviews
on May 26, 2016
I originally purchased this to take better quality pictures of mine and my clients makeup for my social media accounts, but I have used it for so many more things! I am not a know-it-all when it comes to cameras, so that fact that I could use this successfully right out of the box says something. It has several settings that are automatically adjusted, but you could fool around with the settings if you are so inclined.

I have not only taken amazing images of myself and my clients I have also:
1) Recorded my niece's school play
2) Edited pictures straight from the camera
3) Downloaded pictures from my camera to my computer in under 3 minutes
4) Mass deleted a series of pictures directly from the camera

It's such an easy and elegant camera to use. I love it, and have recommended it to family and friends
on April 7, 2013
The G5 is my fourth Panasonic camera (after the TM700 video camera and the LX7 and GF3 still cameras). All have had their particular strong points compared with the competition, with relatively few negatives. This camera came with the bottom-end version of Panasonic's numerous mid-range zooms, the earliest 14-42mm lens (which I did not need), but the body was about a dollar cheaper with it compared with buying the body without it, so...;-) I did a quick check on the lens and found it more than acceptable optically. The lens was good to the corners by f8 at 14mm and usable at wider stops, and it was good to the corners at f5.6 at 25mm and also at 42mm. I sold it to a friend to offset some of the cost of the G5, but I first pointed out the common problem with it of having rough zooming action. I had been considering the GX1, but the G5 was less money with the built-in 1.4-megapixel EVF compared with the GX1 plus its similar-spec accessory EVF, and the video specs were better for the G5 (28Mbps 1080-60p video vs, 1080-60i derived from 30p and at a lower data-rate). I have not yet shot much video with the G5, but the first clips appear to be quite sharp, not a common thing with still cameras that can also shoot video, even very high-priced ones. Bottom line: I like this camera! It is easy to grip securely, the controls are well-placed (and they include a zoom lever for use with the two Panasonic "PZ" lenses), the menus are easy to use, the eye-level viewfinder is excellent (and its characteristics can be adjusted independently from those of the also-excellent 920k tilt-swivel OLED rear viewing-screen), both the video and stills are of high quality, and the price was right.
Highly recommended.
on January 7, 2014
I replaced my G10 with this body as an upgrade.
The key features that make it worth the price are:
1. The large touch screen on the back.
2. Touch screen rotates for selfies and makes difficult photo jobs very easy.
3. The high resolution internal rangefinder screen is a significant improvement and I can now do quality manual focus on hand held photos at 600mm eq.
4. It is extreamely fast! Turn it on and it is ready before you can lift the camera.
5. The seldom mentioned auto switch sensor is really cool. You bring the camera up to your face and the camera automatically switches to the internal rangefinder. So, you can set up a scene, click the touch screen to set the focus area, and then lift the camera to do fine focus on manual focus lenses - I don't know of another camera that does that.
6. Setting up for older lenses and using them is very easy.
7. I have used the touch settings frequently to set ISO on a number of shoots. It is really nice to set and minimizes the fumbling around on the older model.
8. Face detection and video quality is remarkable.
9. The lack of a mirror makes the camera significantly smaller and quicker to use.
I strongly dissagree with the reviewers who state that this camera is a 'good quality, but not professional' camera. It has all of the features and compares well with many of the other pro cameras that use a 1/2 size image sensor. In many respects, it is better. These same reviewers like the 1/8" all in one cameras out there, and those cameras are stongly limited in low light and action shots. The pros need to quit bad mouthing the Panasonic series - I have compared the line with Canon and Minolta for over 10 years now. Panasonic is as good as any and is certainly smaller and easier to handle.
on May 8, 2017
So far I'm loving the camera! However learning curve is high! The only disappointment is that the lens it came with is basic and limited. The price point is very good for a mirrorless camera. If I had a few hundred dollars more I would have bought the G7 because of the external mic jack. Not a HUGE bummer since I plan to use this camera primarily only for pictures.
on January 31, 2014
Great Camera for the price I paid at Amazon. I wanted to get back to photography but could not justify paying hundreds of dollars for a interchangeable lens system camera. Then I found this gem in AMAZON DEAL of the DAY at a great price, glad I did! Its compact, lightweight and compact, great auto settings, AMAZING quality for the price and class. 16MP is more than enough for an amateur like me. Screen tilts, turns, flips etc.

Pup up Flash does the job.

AWESOME VIDEO quality !

If you want a interchangeable Camera system that's compact and comfortable to carry at a great price, good picture and built quality without paying crazy money, this may be the camera for you too.

THINGS I DID NOT LIKE:
- I cant stand the viewfinder, its probably me, but I personally dont like that its a 'mini monitor', but thats what a compact mirror less system is. However, since i prefer the larger back screen and would not use the viewfinder anyway, i can put up with it,
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 2, 2013
It does most everything the D80 did and is much lighter, also does HD video, and some of the controls are easier to use. Only drawback has been the D80 had an IR remote shutter release which came in handy when I placed my camera on top of a tall ladder to get a shot of a large group which included me. If I had the Lumix, I would never have been able to get that shot without someone up the ladder to press the shutter. Have not needed that function so far. Cable release works fine when using a tripod. Easy to switch white balance, ISO, switch from shutter speed control to aperture control using the same wheel. Oh, yes, I like the pictures I have taken with it, too.
on November 26, 2013
For the brief time I've owned this, I like it quite a bit. I was really hot for the retro look of the Olympus OM-D5, but after reading several online reviews, especially those that compared the bodies, I was convinced that I'd have a better grip on the camera with the G5. The specs were fairly close, and when I looked at paying $259 for the G5 body vs. $999 for the Olympus my mind, and wallet quickly chose the Panasonic.
on August 25, 2013
This is an excellent camera!
Firstly, it captures really beautiful photos!
It has plenty of settings that allow you to adjust whatever you want. Yet, it takes nice photos even with minimal adjuments.

The menu is so rich but easy to comprehend and navigate to.
The camera's and lens' sizes are smaller than DSLR counterparts and this is really welcomed! Nevertheless, its size and grip are lovely for the amateur or the enthusiast photographer.

The package comes at really attractive prices now that G6 is out in the market. And you do not miss much compared to that.
I also added an Olympus 45mm 1.8 lens which is so small in size but takes so beautiful night or background-blurred photographs.

Highly recommended camera for all types of photographers!
on July 23, 2015
Fantastic camera, especially for the price. I purchased this as a good starter "real camera" and that is exactly how it preformed. I didn't need something with all the bells and whistles that you get with the newest models so this was a great purchase with the price. Pictures come out very clear and the interface is easy to use, even as a novice photographer. It is also light weight and travels well as I have taken it hiking several times.
Only this is I would make sure to buy a case for it. It doesn't come with one. It does come with a neck strap, but it isn't the most comfortable thing out there.
on June 1, 2015
i have no problems with this camera. it took a little while to have time to read the manual, and get used to the ISO settings. i haven't really needed to use the flash since i can adjust the darkness and light with the ISO lever. it seems like a nice introduction into more complicated cameras. it can be used as a basic point and shoot while you learn the rest of the settings..