Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by The Lone Bellow GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 432 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 487 reviews
on April 20, 2017
The best point and shoot camera I've ever owned. I'm a big Nikon guy but feel they are lacking in options with this range of camera. It was a toss up between this and the Sony RX100v, but I went this direction due to the articulating screen and a few other minor things. Both cameras are great, but for my use I went with the Lumix LX 10.
review image review image review image review image review image
on August 26, 2012
Wow, this was a tough upgrade decision. Sony's RX100 is superb competition, and I was certain *IT* would be the camera that pulled me out of the Panasonic camp (I also own an old Panasonic DMC-FX50 "bridge camera" in addition to an LX5, which replaced my LX3 -- plus my wife kept a Pana FX35 in her purse before she switched to Sony's slim TX9.

Despite keeping these few cameras around (really just the 3: the FX50, the TX9 and now the LX7), I'm just your Joe Average photographer, shooting mainly the kids, family/friend gatherings, special events, and some home construction-type projects, and other hobby interests.

And what I've ever really wanted out of the LX series is a compact, low light-capable camera with a respectable set of manual controls. Exactly what the SONY RX100 is with its huge sensor, and of the two, it is unquestionably the better performer for indoor shooting situations of fast moving kids, compared to the LX3 and LX5.

If that were my only criteria, I'd have never ordered the LX7, and might be typing up my thoughts on the RX100 instead. But maybe my four years of familiarity with the LX3/5 got the better of me. Maybe I'm just a sheep with a Panasonic logo branded on my flank. But there were a couple of sore points with the Sony that just plain made me unsatisfied. Rather than trash the RX100 (not my intention), here's my list:

- There's no escaping the benefit of the wide 24mm lens on the LX series. Not to mention the handy aspect ratio mode switching right on the bezel. And I use the 1:1 aspect ratio more than I care to admit.
- The Panasonic's hot shoe is a hot commodity when I need it. I have a Metz 36-AF4O (since replaced by the Metz 36 AF-5, I believe) which is about as big as the camera itself, but provides more than adequate light with bounce capabilities.
- Two of my gripes with the LX3 and LX5 were the difficulty of adjusting manual settings via push-button & thumb dial inputs. The LX7's aperture ring and dedicated manual focus lever have addressed this, with varying degrees of satisfaction.
- I get to keep my LX5 spare battery, which isn't such a huge deal, but just know that its shelf life is spectacular. Although my predicted number of shots between charges has decreased, per the manual. Nothing drastic; still great battery life.
- Most importantly, the Panasonic LX7 has a certain ease and quickness about it -- probably due in part to my use of its predecessors -- and combined with the newly added manual controls, it feels to me the design is finally at a point where I can set up various shooting solutions with a minimum of fuss and button pressing, nearly (but not quite) like my SLR days many years ago. The "user experience" of the Sony, by comparison, felt a little too menu driven and sticky.

Where did Panasonic fall short with this new model?

- For one, the image quality really hasn't changed. My thoughts are that the LX3 was excellent, but the LX5 tended to focus a little soft -- although nothing that stood out horribly amiss; maybe within the normal manufacturing variations? I don't want to speculate on sensor sizes or type playing a role, but I can attest Sony's RX100 shoots a "cleaner" or "crisper" portrait-style photo -- although that difference disappears once the image is downsized for printing/sharing.
- There's still no remote. Or cable release. Or Bulb mode. Can't tell you how much I enjoy those features on other cameras. For the LX5, I have a cable release adapter that slides into the hot shoe and extends an arm over the shutter release for a cable release to activate, but the hot shoe has been realigned on the LX7 so it no longer works.
- I continue to have trouble reading the silver-on-silver symbols etched onto the 4-way keys.
- If you're one to complain about the lens cap (I'm not, but I know a lot of LX users HATE the thing)... well, it's still here, and it's smaller than before, making it a little more difficult to clip on/clip off.
- I once committed to never buying a camera without a tiltable display, but that's just not an option. All things considered, the LX7 display is not as bright at the RX100, but is very visible in all but direct daylight, and viewable from off angles without the colors inverting.

What did Panasonic get right with the LX7 update?

- The redesigned lens is noteworthy. It's a definite improvement over the LX5 for indoor shooting, and that extends through the entire zoom range (still only 90mm, which was an improvement over the LX3). I find that I take the vast majority of my photos on the wide end of this lens, but in low light settings, I've been forced to if I'm trying to avoid using the flash. With the lens redesign, I've got a little more flexibility in my zoom before resorting to higher ISOs.
- IC? Firmware? Who knows! The camera is snappier than its predecessor, in all aspects: start up, menu navigation, auto focus delay, and shot to shot. It gets shots off near instantaneously. And the kicker is a burst mode!
- I can't say I was disappointed by the 720p video of the LX5, but full HD video is a treat -- especially with memory prices as cheap as they are compared to two years ago.
- Finally, a dedicated white balance button on the 4-way controller! (Panasonic eliminated the "Focus" key featured on the LX5, and also added burst mode selection to the shutter self timer key.)
- I'm very excited about the inclusion of a time lapse feature. This was overdue.
- The clickable, dedicated aperture ring, especially, and the manual focus lever, sort of (light applause -- needs something more "ring like")
- The mode wheel is substantially firmer, preventing inadvertent turns while in the pocket.

Some random thoughts on the Sony RX100: It feels a little "rough" at startup (i.e. not-so-smooth lens extension, kind of rough feel & sound), and starts up about a second slower than the Panasonic, but not having to remove a lens cap negates that. Zoom time from full wide to full tele is about one second snappier on the Sony. I felt that the Sony's auto white balance "got it right" more often than the LX, but the custom white balance is at minimum one level deep into the menu (if set to the Fn key). Shutdown immediately after snapping a pic is an agonizingly slow 5-6 seconds for full lens retraction; 3-4 seconds if the camera is already at idle. And not so much a dig at Sony as a kudos to Panasonic, but with the 28mm constraint on the wide end, switching from 4:3 to 16:9 simply crops the top and bottom of the frame, whereas on all the LX cameras with their unique sensor usage, I actually gain extra pixels on the sensor to help compose the shot I want.

Panasonic's history of product support HAS to be a consideration. They released mid-cycle firmware updates for both the LX3 and the LX5, and with the unexpected LX3 update in particular, added new features -- not just bug fixes. (Wish I could say the same about the FX50, but that's a story for another day...)

I wouldn't be so bold as to recommend the LX7 over the RX100, but only want to give a little insight via some of the features I hold in high regard. They both definitely have their strong suits. If you're at all familiar with the previous LX cameras, you have a solid basis for understanding the LX7 improvements, as well as its shortcomings. That certainly didn't stop me from happily purchasing the RX100 before giving the LX7 a chance to hit the streets, but by doing so I immediately proved to myself that there is still no "perfect camera," and with the compromises that I had to accept, my preferences fell mainly back to the LX line.
4040 comments| 702 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2016
Initial impression is excellent. My context is that this is the first camera I've purchased for personal use since the Panasonic GM1, which is a m4/3 interchangeable lens camera with a very compact body, so that is my main point of comparison. I also had a original Sony RX100, but it was lost at a conference, so needed a small every day carry camera. I do more indoor natural light shots than out, and pretty much never use a flash, so that frames my needs a bit. Based on early results, the LX10 is a great replacement for the RX100 and beats the GM1 as a travel/EDC camera. Key findings so far:

*The lens on the LX10 beats the larger m4/3 sensor + stock lens on the GM1 for everyday indoor photography. To compare, I did a quick set of shots on P(rogram) setting on both cameras in a unevenly lit room at night, just to see what the P algorithms produced when left to their own devices. The GM1 was equipped with the very nice compact zoom kit lens, 12-32mm f3.5-5.6 max aperture. P sets shutter speed, aperture, and ISO automatically. Both cameras took the shot at 1/60th s with their lenses wide open, but the ISO on the LX10 was 640 while the ISO on the GM1 was 3200. Totally to be expected given the much slower f3.5 vs. f1.4, but cameras are systems, not individual components, and the 3200 ISO on the GM1 really increased the noise, lowered the detail and hurt the color fidelity much more than in the shot from the LX10. Now, of course, I could have put a fast lens on the GM1, I certainly own plenty of m4/3 lenses including fast primes, BUT, that's the point, really, that the very fast lens on the LX10 opens up a much wider operating window compared to the kit GM1, and to match it, I'd have to give up the zoom and use a fast prime, again lowering the versatility and speed of operation for my kind of indoor/low light shooting, so that is worth something to me.

Other quick points:

Size - the retractable lens on the LX10 makes it much easier to pocket and carry the LX10 vs. the GM1, even though the body of the GM1 is a bit smaller, due to the added depth from the 12-32mm lens.
Speed of operation - the 12-32mm lens on the GM1 must be manually extended before taking the first shot, making it much tougher to capture fleeting scenes.
4K video - Not an option on the GM1. Not that I need it much just yet, but looking forward to that move in the not too distant future. I did test the 4K video on the highest data rate setting, and was able to capture and playback just fine from my very recent PNY UHS1/U3 card PNY Elite Performance 128 GB High Speed SDXC Class 10 UHS-I, U3 up to 95 MB/Sec Flash Card (P-SDX128U395-GE). I panned an indoor scene and watched the focus adjust, and, after one big focus hunt right at the beginning, the LX10 did a very nice job, pulling from 10ft focus to less than a foot at the end of the pan, and stopping right on focus of the close object without hunting. Pretty impressive.

Other points of comparison:
*LX100. I briefly owned and returned the LX100 before buying the LX10 as it was just too big for the every day carry role. Further, the effective resolution due to sensor crop on the LX100 was a disappointment in the few test images I took, and the default JPEG settings left me flat, which surprised me given my preference for Pany standard JPEGs.
*LS100. Own this camera for work, and the 10x zoom is really handy, but the slower lens shows indoors, even wide open.

There are many more features to test and that will be fun, but, net, for me, the LX10 is the better choice, given priority for indoor or low light outdoor shots. I'll continue to use my GM1 and Olympus EM5 m4/3 cameras with appropriate lenses for the more challenging shots (e.g., the 2015 All Star Game, where 300mm zoom was essential paired with the EM5), or the LS100 where I need quick access to more zoom range outdoors, but the LX10 is now my EDC camera, especially when I know I'll want a mix of indoor + outdoor, or just indoor. Highly recommended if your priorities are similar.
11 comment| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2012
The Panasonic DMC-LX7: Its Own Class of Camera

The notion of compact and "pocketable" form factor cameras is a matter of perspective. Just like an "affordable" camera has a lot to do with what you personally feel is an appropriate price bracket, if a camera is pocketable or not depends on how big your pockets are. The Lumix LX7 retails for about $500, is one of the flagship fixed lens cameras from Panasonic, yet has already been discounted in various spots to forty percent less than retail. At $300 street price, it is less dollars than some small-sensor long zoom cameras, yet is still about double the price of some very competent point and shoot cameras. If you are interested in optional (but pricey) features, the hot shoe of the LX-7 lets you instantly add the Panasonic DMW-LVF2 1,440,000-dot equivalent electronic viewfinder (about $200) or your choice of a few external flash units as well.

The LX-7 is the latest incarnation of the LX-3 / LX-5 series of more or less compact cameras that have featured a bit larger sensors and brighter lenses than the run of the mill compact cameras, along with the ability to save images in RAW format. Compared to its well-received predecessor, the LX-5 has a sharper 3-inch LCD with 920,000 dots, a faster F1.4-2.3, 3.8X lens, faster shooting performance, and comparatively spectacular video capability. It records at up to Full HD video at 1080/60p and additionally offers high speed 720p video recording at 120 frames/second. Compared to the LX-5 this is a substantial upgrade, as far as I'm concerned, in most all key areas. Its CIPA standard battery life is reduced to 330 images from 400 in the LX-5, likely due to its improved resolution LCD. It is a bit heavy (0.66 lb / 10.51 oz.) and bulky (4.37 x 2.68 x 1.81 in.) compared to the shirt pocket type cameras, but similar to the LX5. It does fits the platform of pocket camera, but a coat-pocket camera rather than a shirt or pants pocket camera.

LX7 Basic Specifications
Resolution: 10.10 Megapixels
Lens: 3.80x zoom (24-90mm eq.)
Viewfinder: LCD 920k
LCD Size: 3.0 inch
ISO: 80-12800
Shutter: 250-1/4000
Max Aperture: 1.4
Dimensions: 4.4 x 2.6 x 1.8 in. (111 x 67 x 46 mm)
Weight: 10.5 oz (297 g) incl. battery
MSRP: $500

100% crop image quality at ISO 1600 betters the upscale long zoom cameras, such as the generally impressive DMC-FZ200. Its faster lens and slightly larger sensor (1/1.7 inch) combine to make this came a low-light superstar, bettering the similar sensor size equipped Canon S100 and S110.

Let's say you are considering moving up to the LX7 from a compact long zoom travel camera, such my current favorite in that class, the Lumix ZS-15 or the generally excellent Canon SX260. Now, you net the sharper LCD, a bigger sensor, and the LX7 lens is far, far faster than the ZS-15's F3.3 - F5.9 array. You'll also appreciate the included external charger, the hot shoe of the LX-7, and the obvious superior low-light capabilities. By low light, I mean the indoors version of low-light, without using the flash. If you accustomed to post-processing, the RAW images of the LX7 will be another appreciated advantage.

On the flipside, the LX-7 is around twice the price, you might miss the 16x optical zoom, and you'll notice right away that the LX-7 is noticeably bigger and heavier by comparison. You'll also notice right away that there is no integral lens cover on the LX7 and the lens cap is removed manually (an aftermarket solution is readily available). If your focus (pun int.) is primarily on convenience and economy, the ZS-15 is most assuredly easier to have with you all the time, easier to quickly just throw into a pocket and go.

The reasons there is so little consensus in the preferred camera is that we all have divergent notions of what a camera is supposed to do. Naturally, image quality defines a desirable camera, but there is the snapshot level of quality image and then the "I want to make posters" level. Satisfying snapshots are the most common output of a camera to no one's great surprise. Yet, if your camera has wondrous image quality, but turtle-slow shooting performance, it is easy to forego image softness only discernible if you hold an 8 x 10 a few inches from your nose in favor of a faster camera that is less hassle to use.

Video capabilities get better and better in "still cameras," one of those things not important to you . . . unless of course it is. This camera delivers strongly in the video department. The same goes with time lapse, high-speed video, creative effects, and so forth. The technically "best" image-capturing unit may not at all be the best choice for you if the image stabilization is poor, you can't see the LCD, the batteries are perpetually dead, and some of the specialty features you really want don't exist. In all of these areas, the LX-7 is either very good to class-leading.

The LX-7 aspect ratio selector means you can shoot 3:2 images at 9.5 Megapixels. That completely fills the 3:2 aspect ratio screen and is where I've found myself doing most of my shooting. The image stabilization is excellent, the Panasonic "iA" (intelligent auto mode) yields impressive results if you aren't inclined to experiment with the program or scene modes.

CONCLUSION

This camera reads like a compilation of everything most people claim they want improved from their economy, compact, point and shoot. It has a better LCD, a bigger sensor, first-rate video capabilities, a hot shoe, JPEG, JPEG+RAW, and RAW capability, and includes the fastest lens in this category of camera today: F1.4-2.3. It includes an external charger as opposed to "USB only" charging, its 330 CIPA battery life is better than most compacts, and it has enough manual controls and scene modes to keep people experimenting for a very, very long time. This unit captures truly excellent video with a wondrous high speed video mode as well, 720p @ 120 fps.

Time lapse, high speed video, an external charger, and a built-in neutral density filter might seem old hat by now, but it actually is ***anything but***. The next step up the food chain, the larger sensored $650 Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-RX100 lacks not just one or two of these features: it lacks all of them. Yet, the RX100 is lighter in weight, if not on the wallet, something than cannot be said for some others in the category. The RX100 actually offers very little over this camera, its diminutive size and higher resolution are the two areas that cannot be denied. What closes the gap is the extremely fast lens of the LX-7.

It is hard to fault this camera. In many ways, this is a one-stop compact personal imaging center for both still images and video. The only video consideration is not the video quality, but the inability to plug in an external mic. The only thing you might miss as a still camera is the lack of a long optical zoom if you feel that cramps your personal creative juices. The overall speedy focus and shooting performance is immensely satisfying; as you won't find yourself waiting for this camera to respond. If there is such thing as a bullseye in the price / performance ratio, this camera seems to nail it.

In somewhat of rare and pleasant happenstance, this camera does everything it promises to do. Not everything always works as described, but the Panasonic DMC-LX7 actually does. Those looking to upgrade from the LX5 won't have to go past the faster lens, sharper LCD, and vastly improved video to find the LX7 an appealing successor. This is simply an all-around excellent piece of equipment.

It scores top-of-chart in image quality and video quality in its class. Its shooting performance makes many cameras seem turtle-slow shot-to-shot. Finally, can be considered a screamingly strong value as well. Nothing competes with it at a $300 street price that I'm aware of and I mean ***nothing***. For many, many folks this is the only camera you'll need or want . . . and it leaves scant little lacking in a non-system reasonably compact package beyond what comes in the box.

I did add Progo DMW-BCJ13e Power Pack (Two Li-Ion Rechargeable Batteries and Pocket Travel AC/DC Wall Charger with Car Adapter & US to European plug) for Panasonic DMW-BCJ13, DMW-BCJ13E, DMW-BCJ13PP. Works with Lumix DMC-LX5, DMC-LX7 Digital Camera. Fully Compati... that is really quite a bargain in battery-land, and a Lowepro Rezo 50 Camera Bag. The Lowepro Rezo 50 works particularly well if you go with a standard lanyard on the side of the camera rather than the dual strap supplied array. My final addition was the Auto Lens Cap for PANASONIC LUMIX DMC LX7 LX-7, LEICA D-LUX 6 + MagicFiber Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloth.

The Progo batteries are excellent, no loss of functionality vs. OEM batteries, slightly better life, and a fraction of the rip-off priced Panasonic branded batteries. With the Auto lens cap, everything goes neatly into the Rezo 50 bag including the two extra batteries. This is where it reaches, but does not exceed, my own personal limit of an easily portable camera array.

Copyright 2012 by Randy Wakeman.
All Rights Reserved.

If you are on a budget, and want a better than standard compact camera that is a bit smaller, consider: Canon PowerShot S100 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 5x Wide-Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Black) for $249. Poor video compared to the LX7, a slower lens, weak low-light ability, but significantly smaller in size.

For longer zoom, economical compacts the Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS15 12.1 MP High Sensitivity MOS Digital Camera with 16x Optical Zoom (Black) is a screaming deal at $149 and the Canon PowerShot SX260 HS 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 20x Image Stabilized Zoom 25mm Wide-Angle Lens and 1080p Full-HD Video (Black) is now (finally) at a competitive $200 price point.

If you want a RAW capable long zoom fixed lens camera, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 12.1 MP Digital Camera with CMOS Sensor and 24x Optical Zoom - Black is a top choice, but still at a salty $500 price point, and it is too bulky to be considered compact by most.

For image quality, though, this LX-7 betters them all, and in low light or for video, it makes them all looks embarrassingly weak.
review image
1414 comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2015
This is my first "nice" camera that's a step up above basic point and clicks. I can't really comment how this works compared to other cameras outside of the most basic, just how it works for a complete newbie.

First off, the pictures this camera takes, even in less than optimal conditions and with little fiddling, look better than the best pictures I'd get from a basic point and shoot (and miles away from a phone camera). The megapixels might not be super high, meaning you can't zoom in as much before you can see the individual pixels, but you can still make out all the details like grass blades or small leaves where other cameras I've used would leave big blobs of color.

It has all the settings of an expensive DSLR, which feeds my need to fiddle with things. It lets me practice with what all the settings and modes do in a relatively inexpensive device.

I'm happy with how low the shutter lag is and how well it manages with the poor/uneven lighting at my house.

There's a few things I'm feel could be better:
-The lens sticks out from the body quite a bit. It prevents me from fitting the camera in my relatively generous jeans pockets. It fits in my jacket pocket, but there's an obvious bulge. It's compact, but definitely not pocketable.
-Related, the lens cap isn't as secure as I'd wish it to be. I keep the camera in my messenger bag and will sometimes find that the cap has come off, leaving the glass exposed.
-Adjusting shutter speed is slow and frustrating. The dial doesn't "spin" through all the speeds fast enough. It allows for fine adjustments, but takes forever to get from one extreme to the other. I tend to stay out of Shutter Priority mode.
-Manual focus is also a little fiddly and I haven't gotten used to it. There's just basically a switch that moves the focus in and out where a dial of some sort would be much easier to use.
on March 18, 2015
I'm a retired pro photographer from the Nikon F2, Leica M4 and Hasselblad era. After dozens of cameras I now have Panasonic's GH4 and LX7. I use the LX7 mostly for home and travel videos. In my bag the predecessor of the LX7 was Canon's S95.

Recently my son decided to sell his Sony RX100M3 camera. I have used it a month side by side with the Panasonic LX7. After that the decision was quite easy. I'm going to keep the LX7.

The Sony RX100 produces sharper still pictures. But if you don't crop much or make large prints, you don't see the difference. In movie making the RX100M3 has several problems. You can't lock the focus (or after auto focusing you have to switch to manual focusing, shoot and again switch back to auto focusing, which is too complicated). For that you need one programmable button. Same thing with the exposure locking. A second programmable button is needed for that. The Panasonic LX7 has a dedicated AF/AE locking button.

The auto exposure of the LX7 is better. Most video clips are just perfect. You can really trust the LX7, which is very valuable in practical home and travel movie making. You don't have to always check the takes. On the other hand, with the RX100M3 you'd better to make these exposure checks as often as possible.

The LX7 has a better AWB indoors. The LX7 sits better in hand. In addition to the red video button, with the LX7 you can use the main shutter button to start and stop the take.

The colors of the Sony and Panasonic are nearly identical. I really like them. They resemble the Ektachrome colors of the old times. The Canon S95 is more like a Kodachrome camera.

I use the LX7 with a wrist strap (sold separately). After several tries I now have Zeikos ZE-CA15B soft case (3.99 at Amazon), where the LX7 fits perfectly.
on March 9, 2016
I have had this camera since new in 2012 and I still love it to this day. being a retired pro I care very much about image quality and the LX 7 still impresses me today. Frankly I bought this as a backup to my larger, heavier interchangeable lens system but I found myself using the LX7 often. It's always the camera I bring out at wherever I want to be more "low key". It's been with me all over the world and I can honestly say that some of the best travel pictures I have are with the LX7.

My wife likes the "auto" setting. I like the many manual controls. I've considered upgrading but feel no need at this time. Pick one up of you can, they are a bargain at today's prices.
on December 30, 2012
My sister is a professional photographer but she rarely likes to drag around her full size DSLR cameras and lenses. THIS is THE camera she chooses to have in her purse @ all times. Every shot she took in auto mode looked fantastic. After her full approval of the camera I sat and waited; pouncing for purchase when the price dropped to $299. You can't buy a better camera with such an array of features for this price. I'm not at all familiar with a camera's manual settings but can easily try out my hand at them, then when I think I've monkeyed with it enough, I just reset back to original settings and the camera goes back to taking perfect pictures. I do know that in AUTO mode the lens on this camera can deliver fantastic, indoor, average light shots, QUICKLY and with NO FLASH, flawlessly. I'll try to add a photo I took in auto mode, in near darkness with the exception of an outdoor porch light that was all the way across the street. The photo could be mistaken for being taken at 4pm in the afternoon when it was actually taken at 9pm. Most of the photos of my children have come out beautifully with no post editing. Even then, you can have a blast with post editing either on camera or on your own computer. The high speed video feature is really fun, too.

The camera feels great in your hands. I do hate the cheesy manual cap that comes with the camera and immediately outfitted it with the Auto Lens Cap for PANASONIC LUMIX DMC LX7 LX-7, LEICA D-LUX 6 + MagicFiber Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloth It's a must have for this camera, at a really reasonable price. I bought a class 10 SanDisk Extreme Pro 16gb card, to ensure I have the best available write speed for the 120fps, high speed (too fun) movie option. Honestly, I have not been able to find any documentation as to what this camera's actual write speed is, but at least I know I have the best card installed to handle what this camera can possibly deliver.

For the average family user, you will not be disappointed at all. Grab it while the price is low. If it goes back up...wait it out, it'll drop again in a couple of weeks.
review image review image
on July 10, 2013
Love this camera.

It is very small: I put it in a small pouch on my belt and it goes everywhere with me. Not as small as a smart phone, but close enough and much higher quality.

The fast f1.4 lens allows me to shoot indoor pictures without flash. Love that.

The rear screen is so clear that I find myself not wishing for a viewfinder.

The camera is very simple to operate. I have been leaving it in "IA" mode (intelligent auto) for all of my shooting, treating it almost like a point & shoot camera, even though a professional photographer friend urges me to explore using some of the other modes (aperture priority, in particular). I will get around to doing that eventually. Meanwhile, I get great results already.

The video is stunning, and I am not even using anywhere near the highest quality settings. I have the camera set to shoot 720p video, producing mp4 files. My old computer can play and edit these files easily.

Note that the manual says that if you do use the highest quality video settings (HD, 1920x1080, 60p), and you want to view or edit the video on a computer, you will need a fast computer, specifically, an i7 machine. Friends of mine who edit video concur that such a fast computer is, indeed necessary. I don't have such a fast computer, and when I try to view HD, 1920x1080, 60p video on my computer, it plays in little short bursts. But this is not a problem of the camera; it is just a fact about the data rate required to play HD video.

But again, even with the camera set to shoot lower resolution video, the results are great.

In conclusion, this is a fantastic camera, at a great price.

Some notes about the lens cap follow below:

The original Panasonic lens cap, when attached to the camera, does not have enough room underneath for an adaptor ring and protective filter. But the original lens cap has the advantage that it locks into the outer, fixed barrel around the lens. It does not stick out very far. And it completely covers the air gap between the inner, telescoping barrel and the outer fixed barrel. And if the lens cap takes a hit, the impact is transmitted to the outer, fixed barrel and not to the telescoping inner barrel. The risk to using the original lens cap is, of course, that without a protective filter, the lens could get scratched.

For that reason, I tried an EzFoto adapter ring, protective filter, and lens cap (available on Amazon).

Unlike some other reviewers, I did not have any trouble removing the thread protector from my Panasonic LX7. The EzFoto adapter ring threads on easily enough, and the EzFoto adapter ring goes on easily and fills up some of the air gap between the inner, telescoping lens barrel and the outer, fixed barrel. But the EzFoto adapter ring and filter protrude from the front of the camera a few millimeters. When the EzFoto lens cap is attached, the resulting assembly is fairly thick, much thicker than the original lens cap. Also note that the EzFoto lens cap is attached to the EzFoto filter and adapter ring, which are threaded onto the inner, telescoping lens barrel. That means that if the camera takes a hit on the front, the impact is transmitted to the inner, telescoping lens barrel. (And the EzFoto lens cap comes with a small tether, but it is not at all clear how the tether is to be attached to the lens cap: the hole in the lens cap is much too small.)

But in my last 25 years of using various kinds of cameras, I have never scratched a lens. My wife is very careful with the camera. When our 6-year-old son takes a picture with the LX7, even he is very careful to not touch the lens. The lens has gotten dirty, because we use the camera in a lot of fun situations, like at the beach on a windy day. But I have usually been able to simply blow off the dust with a squeeze bulb. The one time that the lens needed more than that, I used FormulaMC cleaner and a microfiber cloth to clean it very carefully. It came out looking like new. Our LX7 is a family camera, and we have fun with it and do not obsess over it, and yet the lens remains in perfect condition.

So I don't think a protective filter is necessary. If one wants to attach some other kind of filter for special effects, then the EzFoto kit would be essential.
I have been a strictly DSLR user for years. But recently I found that I had a need for a compact camera, when taking the DSLR wasn't appropriate. I needed something I could fit in a pocket and it had to take RAW images. From there I was spec comparing, and it really came down to price. With the 299 price tag during Cyber Monday, this was the winner.

This is the first Panasonic camera I have ever owned (I do have a panasonic video recorder with some similar menu titles) so it took me a while to get used to the layout. I'm not a big fan of jumping into on screen menus to makes changes, as I feel it's much slower than using the mini LCD on top of most DSLRs. So I'm very glad for the aperture ring (I do 95% of my shooting in aperture priority). I'm also very glad for the wheel that allows me to change my exposure compensation. However, the Quick Menu could use some work, as I don't find it quick enough.

I also like the button layout choices. My left hand is basically free to make aperture and focus changes, while my right hand does the rest. The text on the buttons is hard to read, but the positions feel natural as I was able to quickly memorize them. I think it's GREAT that the movie recording button is recessed, making it almost impossible to accidentally press.

The size and weight f the camera is also respectable. I can easily fit it in a jacket pocket, and depending on the pants I am wearing, a pants pocket. The camera feels dense and sturdy overall, expect for some of the top buttons which I'm afraid could be bumped off. Of note, I have very large hands, and this camera feels very comfortable in them. There is enough space between each button that allows me to press them without hitting others.

Now that the physical aspects of the camera are out of the way, how does it perform? Starting with the autofocus, which is lighting fast. I recommend setting the autofocus box size as small as possible. This helps ensure that the point you want focused is in focus. The focus tracking feature is pretty handy, especially for kids and pets.

The inboard flash isn't any good, just like all built in flashes I have ever used. But the inclusion of a hotshot is fantastic. I can throw on one of my manual flashes that allows me to bounce the flash around and also use my wireless triggers. I did notice that there are very few panasonic compatible TTL flashes, which is a concern if you are not comfortable setting flash strength manually.

Quality of photos is outstanding for a compact. I shot in a number of different lighting situations, and was very impressed at the results. Sure my DSLR takes higher quality photos, especially in tricky light, but I would expect nothing else. I did notice a slight bit of chromatic aberration in some high contrast areas, and the auto white balance is a bit towards cool/green, but those thinks are easily fixed in post when using RAW. and surprisingly, when the sun is in the frame, I like the burst created by this a bit better than from the DSLR.

I find the image stabilization to work very well. I can keep the ISO low but continue to get decent photos. Nothing compares to using a tripod, but at least this gives me usable images in low light.

One thing that is a big annoying is the write speed of images. Auto focus is fast, menus are fast, shutter lag is short, frames per second is high, and the LCD is very responsive. But writing images to the card is annoyingly slow (I'm using a fast card). The main downside here is that you cannot view images while the buffer is clearing, and you cannot fully power off until the buffer is clear.

Some minor additions to the review:
* I would prefer to not have a neck strap, and just a wrist strap. A neck strap just isn't needed for a compact.
* You need to remove the battery to charge it. It seems to be able to keep the time, I just hope there isn't some hard to replace mini battery that will die in a few years. It would be great if it could charge via the USB port.
* The ND filter is a nice touch. Combine that with a physical ND filter and you could get some very long exposures during the day.
* The included software (as least for the Mac) is crap. Don't bother with it.
* There is an included strap to connect the lens cap to the camera. I almost threw it away because it was packed strangely.
* I cannot understand why the main menu has so many pages per section. It takes forever to navigate. Hopefully as I get my main setting settled, this wont be too much of an issue.
* The histogram is lacking. You can only turn it on globally (can't choose to just have it show during playback) and there is no RGB histogram. The latter is a major disappointment.
* The aperture only goes down to f/8, even in manual mode. Under most circumstances, this isn't a big deal, although the fastest shutter speed is only 1/4000, so bright sunlight could be trouble. Luckily the 3 stop ND filter helps mitigate the problem.

Overall I find this a fine compliment to my DSLR, but I personally wouldn't use it as my only camera.
44 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse