Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 339 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 423 reviews
on March 28, 2011
I upgraded from the Z3 and this is my 3rd Lumix camera. I am a insurance adjuster and take over 300 pictures per day and these cameras get alot of heavy work and is constantly used in conditions that is not the average user. What I wanted most from a work camera, was the ability to zoom in and the wide angle. I take alot of photos on roofs where damages have occured and the ability of this camera to do those things, is unsurpassed. The old one had a 12x zoom which I thought was great, until I used this 16x zoom. Quite amazing to say the least. With your typical camera of this size, you might get a 5 zoom and you will just not believe the difference with this 16 zoom. Next would be the 24 wide angle aspect. Again, quite amazing. I can stand 25 feet in front of a house and get the whole house in the photo. With typical cameras, you would have to stand across the street.
Next would be the picture quaility. Absolutely great as well. Clear, crisp,perfect lighting and on and on.
Easy to use and set the settings as well.
Although a little more pricey than most, it is soooo worth it!!!
Take a chance on this one, if you are unsure. You will NOT be dissapointed!! Love it! Love it!
22 comments| 214 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon April 16, 2011
First and foremost, this is easy to use and takes great pictures.

I've carried a predecessor to this camera, the TZ5, regularly including while running. That's moving to a dedicated application and I wanted to take advantage of the additional zoom Panasonic offers for my "daily" camera. There are smaller, lighter cameras but this is the best combination with the longer zoom, everything smaller stops at about 5X. This has an optical 16X and a very effective 20X. The macro mode gives crisp,incredible close ups.

A friend recently took his digital SLR and three lenses on a trip to Hawaii and ended up taking pictures with his cell phone because he didn't want to haul any of the photo gear on his touring. "The best camera is the one you have with you." This is easy to carry, even in a back pocket. It is too heavy for a front shirt pocket, but it's OK in a jacket pocket. I keep mine in an Amphipod model 670 Ballistic Trail Pouch which also has a belt loop if I want to use it and is large enough to hold a spare battery, though the battery life is fine in normal use.

This isn't quite a "point and shoot" but it's close enough when the dial is set to "i" or "intelligent" mode where it figures out everything for you. You just have to know to set it to the "i" setting if that's how you want it to work.

My only beef with all these non SLR digitals is that even when set to scenery mode, where a fixed "infinite" focus would be fine, they still work to focus and there's no manual override. A small concern and only occasionally problematic, such as when trying to take a picture of the moon. You have to keep in mind that the flash falls off rapidly at about 10', but the images are good in limited light.

This has a very effective image stabilization system, but as you move over about 10X with any of these cameras you need to be conscious of trying to hold still.

If you want a utilitarian, easy to use, long zoom camera that takes terrific pictures, this is an excellent choice.
88 comments| 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 22, 2011
I purchased this camera a few weeks ago with the Lowepro Ridge30 case Lowepro Ridge 30 Camera Case (Black) and Transcend 8GB Class 10 SDHC card Transcend 8 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card TS8GSDHC10E. I was tired of my old cameras not getting the right shot because they were never fast enough. That was my main criteria for purchasing this camera. After UPS dropped off the camera on a Friday, I took the kids to the park to see what it could do. The camera's ability to capture fast action shots is amazing. Kids coming down slides, crossing the monkey bars, or spinning on the merry-go-round...this captured them all crystal clear. Keep in mind, I did have to do some experimental shots first, but on fast action, set it to sports mode and fire away. Saturday was off to an outdoor Graduation. Again, the colors, ease of use, and quality of the shots was better than I was expecting. Sunday, we were off to the amusement park. I wore cargo shorts and the camera was in the side pocket all day wrapped in a napkin in a ziplock bag to protect it from rain and water rides. It took abuse from roller coasters to bumper cars. This is where I was stunned by the photos. I was able to take pictures of the kids on the roller coasters with their screaming, eyes wide open, hair blown back, "I'm going to kill you dad for making me ride this" expressions. See my pictures in the photo's above. BEAS62 has included some photos of closeups and the quality of the zoom. I have taken similar photos and had the same results. In my opinion, this is a great everyday-general use camera. As for the battery, I took 300 pictures between two weekends before it went to 'low battery'. Most shots (80%) were outdoor with no flash and most shots were turning the camera on and off to take 1-5 shots at a time.

When I began this journey of trying to find a camera to take fast action shots, I was in the mindset that only a DSLR could achieve this. I have had, and used many others, in the past and have been let down. Finally I accepted that nothing was going to take these action shots without shelling out $800+. But I don't want to shell out that much, not now at least. Besides, I want a camera small enough to throw in my pocket during trips/events and not have it hanging from my neck shouting "tourist". The reviews on Amazon were not enough alone to convince me. The negative reviews, I felt, were lacking more detail. Some, I get it, you dropped the camera and panasonic wont fix it so now you bash them here. After weeding out the bashing, reading professional reviews on other sites, I had it narrowed down. I did have a spending limit of $250. What sold me was others recommending this one for the fast action shots, however, several of those reviewers did comment on poor low light pictures being grainy. Most of my pictures are outdoors or indoors with good lighting. I have taken several indoor photos and played with some of the scene modes. Quality indoor photos can be taken when the right scene mode is used. Auto mode does not always take the best picture. Use the different scenes for the appropriate picture. I feel many reviews are based on this Automatic picture setting. No camera I have seen will take the best pictures in Auto mode. This is not a $50 film camera of yesteryear. These are advanced electronics, the other modes are there because they take the best shots. Auto mode is there for those who don't want to stray away from the basics. Those folks are the ones who should not gripe. Mom...Dad...Grandpa...Grandma...I understand technology is too much for you, but if you are not willing to use the features as they are available or intended, don't review it based on your lack of fully testing the product. I may have passed up several better cameras because the ratings were by less-than-amateur users. I digress.

What I like about the camera:

1. 24mm ultra-wide angle lens. No more backing up to get everything in the picture.
2. 12 element in 10 groups Leica lens. Well known high quality lens.
3. 16x optical zoom. This baby zooms and zooms. Equivalent to 24-384mm lens
4. Intelligent Scene Selector sets the scene automatically. Played with a little and should be useful.
5. Auto focus subject tracking detection. No need to keep pressing shutter button half-way to readjust focus. This helps with the kids and fast action shots.
6. Optical image stabilization, not electronic...keeps the quality of the picture during shaking.
7. 2 speed zoom, fast or slow depending on how fast you swivel the lever.
8. 720p HD motion video. Not the best, Its not 1080p but only blu-ray and some camcorders are. 720p is what your local NBC/ABC/CBS networks broadcast.
9. Face recognition. great for finding photos on your computer.
10. The buttons and menu. Easy to navigate and menu buttons have "teeth" so you know what/where you are pressing.
11. Instant on. From pressing power to 1st shot is like 1-2 seconds. Once the lens motors out, its ready. No waiting.

What I don't like about the camera:
1. Battery. Its a proprietary battery and needs to have the microchip. There are generics, but if it doesn't have the microchip to talk to the camera, the camera wont turn on. Beware on buying generic batteries. Few will work, and panasonic charges an arm and a leg.
2. No viewfinder. Hard to see the lcd in direct sunlight, but then so is my smartphone and laptop. Not that big of a deal, as shots with direct full sun on screen are rare for me.

When purchasing, I would recommend the Class 10 SDHC cards from a reputable company. Panasonic recommends at least a Class 6. For a few bucks more, get the Class 10. I have yet to wait for the the camera to 'write to disk' before taking the next shot. It is also fast enough for HD video, again, no waiting or buffering/glitching. As for cases, watch the sizes. I originally ordered the Lowepro Ridge 10 because the dimensions said it would fit. It didn't. I went to my local target and they had the ridge series. The 30 fits it with a little wiggle room to spare. The 20 would be too snug and risk breaking the zipper. The ridge 30 has a zipper for the camera, a flap and pouch that fit the charger (but barely, and I would not walk around with it in...just a good place to store it when it sits in the closet), and a zipper on the flap for an extra memory card or battery. Comes with shoulder strap and closed belt loop.

...more to come.
review image review image review image
33 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2011
I got the camera several days ago, and it has been in extensive use since then. The picture quality, the speed and accuracy, the camera's structure and size, the screen and camera options in general, the HD movie recording, the 16x zoom (wow!), the battery performance and many more attributes and features are all beyond my expectations. I used to own Canon cameras in the past 15 years, quite hesitated before deciding on a Panasonic. It is a perfect choice, and I am very satisfied. on the con side, I've noticed that pictures taken in low light conditions are sometimes a bit granular, and that the digital red-eye correction doesn't always get it right. However, overall, this camera is highly recommended!!
on June 3, 2012
Takes great pictures for a while... Bought this camera in December, 2011. Took a few good pictures, then it fell victim to the dreaded "System Error (Focus)" problem. Seems like plenty of other customers found the same problem:[...] I paid around $150 to use a camera for about 6 months. If you buy one, good luck.

UPDATE:

(a few months later) Panasonic lived up to their warranty on this camera. My wife took the time to send it in for repair in June, 2012. I was not optimistic. However, in August, 2012 the camera was shipped to us following its repair, and is currently working. During the time it was in the hands of their repair facility we were called several times with updates. We did not have to call them. So, kudos to Panasonic on the customer service. Once again, taking great pictures. We'll see how long this continues. Hopefully, for a while.
on October 1, 2013
The "one star" is for Panasonic customer service. The "DMC" line are decent cameras and this is the second one we purchased. The first one lasted four years then stopped working. I figured It just wore out so bought a new DMC-ZS8 which is basically a newer model. This new DMC-ZS8 lasted less than a year before it malfunctioned with a system error. I called Panasonic, had to mail it in to a service center (at my expense) and have been waiting now for a month. Each time I call I'm told "it's in progress." Personally, I think it is unacceptable to have to wait over a month for warranty repair. I will definitely look at a different brand name for my next camera.

Update: I called to check on the status of this and was told that the parts "just came in and that they could now proceed with the repair." (Why didn't they tell me they were waiting for parts?) Called again a week later and was told that they had ordered the parts that day and would repair my camera when the parts arrived. Huh??? The parts arrived last week and this week they are still on order?? Do they even know what they are doing??? Finally got the camera back after waiting six weeks. I was instructed to send everything that came with the camera back with the repair order. Asking for clarification, I was told "Yes, send everything back... Battery, charger, cables, everything that came in the original box." So after six weeks of waiting, the camera is returned without the cables. To say I am disappointed with Panasonic is more than an understatement. If you are lucky enough to get a camera that doesn't fail, you will like it. But if you end up dealing with Panasonic support and repair service, then you will probably never purchase from Panasonic again.
on March 18, 2012
This is my second Panasonic camera. I've only used it a little so far, but so far the pics are great, it's easy to use, and the construction of the camera is as good or better than my earlier Panasonic.

I also have a nearly identical predecessor to this camera, a DMC-ZS6, which still works after 2+ years but has dirt inside the lens. I don't like the fact that dirt seems to get into the lens so easily, but in all other respects I love this as a handy point-and-shoot companion, so I bought the new ZS8 and will simply try harder to keep it clean. The first one went everywhere in my shirt pocket unprotected. I had an old Canon that took more abuse for longer and didn't get dirt in the lens so, if ruggedness is important, you may want something other than a Panasonic. Still, I like the Panasonic's auto focus, color balance and awesome zoom capabilities. I haven't found many situations where the iA function setting doesn't work well.

The battery life is excellent.

7/2013 Update: Sadly, I'm done with Panasonic after this one also got dirt in lens. I was being very careful to keep it cased and clean, but apparently it wasn't enough. I'm back to Canon even though I like so much about the Panasonic.
on September 23, 2011
I bought this camera as a backup to my DSLR and for those instances when I just want to travel light. So far, it hasn't disappointed.

First for the cons: Just like most (if not all) point and shoots, indoor pics and flash pics suffer a little. The flash leaves a hard, metallic tone on the images and redeye is common. The camera has a reduction mode, but I never use it, I find the 'double flash' confuses posing subjects and results in movement and akward facial expressions. I also don't like that the proprietary battery has to be removed from the camera for charging. So far, battery life is excellent, but I haven't kept track of how many pictures/flashes/image reviews I can do between plug ins. Lastly, the camera is a bit thicker than I would have hoped for. Some of the comparable products on the market are considerably thinner.

As for the pros: the camera takes great, high resolution outdoor shots. I've had good luck with automatic mode as well as Av, Sv and the various scene modes it offers. Color balance is very accurate with WB set to automatic, although images captured with chosen WB settings neon, indoor) came out well also. I also like that the advanced user can dial up or dial down exposure by fractions of stops, and I believe the camera can autobracket as well, although I haven't tried it yet. Lastly, the menus and the user interface is very intuitive and easy to understand. If you've been around digital cameras for any length of time, you should be able to figure this one out without reading the users' manual. Digital zoom and image stabilization, both big selling points for this camera don't figure much into my shooting style, so I can't provide intelligent commentary on either.

Although I much prefer my big, bulky DSLR to ANY point and shoot pocket camera, I know that on days I bring this one along, at least I'll get clean, crisp, high quality pictures of my unforgettable moments.
on June 21, 2011
Let me start by saying..I am not a professional photographer....just a Mom looking for a good camera to take great pics of my babies! I did sooooo much research before deciding on this camera. I am very happy with my purchase! The zoom is wonderful! With my old camera, everything was blurry when using the digital zoom but I have been so pleased at how good the pics are even using digital zoom with the zs8.

The pictures are great! Outdoor and lit indoor pics are wonderful! As most know, There are NO point and shoot cameras that are great in low light. My old camera would hardly ever focus in low light...I have not had that happen once with the zs8. So far I have been able to take every indoor/low light pic. Now some have turned out better than others, which is expected in low light. Most have been very good by my standards. The intelligent mode is great! All I have to do is point and shoot....it decides what scene mode is best! Love it!

I have played around with several of the "scenes" you can select in Scene Mode...High Burst mode will be great catching my son on the soccer field (note this is different then Burst), pet mode, snow mode, 2 baby modes and many, many more! I think if you have a special circumstance that intelligent mode can't handle, there is a special "Scene Mode" that will work (no having to try to figure out the manual settings..) Back to "Burst" setting...this setting take 3 pics right in a row if you hold the button down (High Burst takes multiple pics in a row). When I first got this camera, I turned on Burst. I thought..."might as well have it turned on if I need it".... It still took normal pics with it on (so I thought). I started to get frustrated when I was taking indoor shots... It didn't seem that the Intelligent mode would use the flash (& I thought flash was needed)... So I started to do some research in the manual.... I knew that Burst does not use flash.....what I didn't realize is that if you have the Burst setting on it turns the flash off for everything!!!! So...only turn this setting on if you are going to use it right then. If you think your pictures are dark or the flash doesn't seem to work....check if you have the Burst setting on.... :)

Finally.... HD video seems good! I really haven't used this a lot but it seems good. Battery life seems really good too. The only thing I'm a little bummed about it that the complete instruction manual is on disk. They give you a quick set-up one in paper but it is missing explanation of most of the camera features. I know this is a more green option but I don't want to have to fire up the computer every time I have a question about a feature.....

All and all I am really happy with the camera!!!!
on November 24, 2013
I have 2 of these Lumix DMC-ZS8 cameras. They take great photos until dust, within less than 6 months show up inside the lens and cannot be removed unless one take apart the camera. Extremely irritating! I sent this camera in knowing that the warranty was expired, but I was willing to pay to get it cleaned if it did not cost too much. The service at the Mcallen, Texas facility for Panasonic was absolutely horrible. The people I talked to on the phone were verbally nice, but very little appropriate ACTION was taken on my requests for a price on cleaning and returning the camera to me in a timely fashion.
My camera arrived for repair in Texas on August 26, 2013 and I received it back on October 21, 2013. I pleaded with the service people send back my camera before my vacation at the end of September, but that never happened. I went on vacation without the camera.
I have bought 2 Lumix DMC-ZS8 cameras in the last 1 1/2 years. I love the photos they take when the lenses are free of dust on the inside. However, the biggest reason why I will not buy any Panasonic camera again is twofold: 1. service is horrible, and 2. the internal lenses on the 2 cameras I bought repeatedly collect dust inside and this spoils the photos and video I take. The dust cannot be wiped off on the inside. I went online, and on Amazaon.com and many buyers have the exact same problem with this camera. It is a bad design in that regard. Since my camera was out of warranty date, I did not want to pay the $200 to have the lens, sensor, etc. cleaned. I can buy another camera for that money. It took almost 2 months to get my camera back. The service people never phoned or emailed me back on wither of my requests. I always had to make the contact even though I was told someone would email me or phone me back.
I offer the information for the unwary buyer. A good company would not treat a customer like this. I have bought many Panasonic products in the past, but I will not buy them in the future. Other camera companies have surpassed Panasonic by far in terms of camera quality and service. I hope someone at Panasonic reads this to prove my experience wrong! Thank you. By the way, I did a survey which Panasonic sent to me by email to get customer feedback. I wrote in the survey pretty much everything I said here. I checked the box for them to email and/or call me. It as been over a month since I took the survey. Guess what? As I suspected, no one from Panasonic has emailed or called me.