Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Panasonic DMP-BD77, DMP-BD79, SC-BTT190 and SC-BTT195 Wireless Lan Adapter (DY-WL5)
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ryley Walker Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now STEM

on April 25, 2013
I am VERY displeased with Panasonic for selling home theater systems with mis-leading WiFi markings on their product packaging, only on to find out you have to purchase the adaptor separately. To make matters worse; the $40 adaptor has been on backorder (on their own parts website) for the entitre 6 months since I purchased the system. Their customer service is lacking at best and operated overseas by employees that struggle to communicate in English. Thank God for a seller on Amazon, otherwise if left to Panasonic I'd have never been been able to use WiFi: unfortunately I probably paid too much. In summary: Panasonic lost a customer. Also note - product design is terrible; adaptor sticks out 3 inches off the front of DVD player.
on January 12, 2013
This works fine and connects with ease, but was a dirty trick by panasonic to have to buy it separate
33 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2013
Very easy to set up, and I have had no problems with it. My only problem with it is that I HAD to purchase the dongle, when the box said that the Blu-Ray player was wireless ready. Misleading writing for the loss.
on September 29, 2012
I purchased this ostensively to watch Netflix on the blu-ray player so I wouldn't have to switch to the xBox. It works but cuts out periodically so I end up have to turn off and on the blu-ray player a number of times throughout the night. The interface is better then Xbox because it doesn't start playing the movie you pause on to read the other cover boxes but the restarting is super annoying.
on March 3, 2014
I bought the Blu-Ray Player this connects to under the pretenses it had built in wi-fi capability that ended up not being the case. Lets just say the retailer was apologetic and made it worth my time to keep this unit. So to make it connect to my wi-fi I had to buy this device, it is about the size of a thumb drive and plugs right into the face of the Blu-Ray player... simple as that it connected automatically and I was watching Netflix in no time.
This adapter is worth the money if you already had a unit that needed it, but combined if you bought a unit and then bought this you have just spent a lot more money than one that already had everything built in.
on April 19, 2014
It's not bad enough that the box for the Blu-Ray player deceives you into thinking the thing can stream, and only when you get it home do you discover that you need this device, but now I discover the device has to be less than ten feet from the wireless router. Why does my wife's Nook work everywhere in the house, but this useless gadget needs to be ten feet from the router? That is completely ridiculous. I called Panasonic's tech support and the tech suggested I buy a wireless booster. HELL, NO. I am NOT buying yet another device to make this thing work. I've lived 39 years without streaming, I'll stick with my DVDs and Blu-Rays until these companies get their act together.

News flash, Panasonic...this is the 21st century.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon March 14, 2016
The Panasonic DY-WL5 wireless LAN adapter is designed for several different Panasonic Blu-ray players. This includes the DMP-BD77, which I own. It has turned out to be an excellent device in every respect. Set-up was as easy as plugging it into the "Wireless LAN" USB port on the back of my BD player. The adapter instantly came to life, thereby providing my player with full wi-fi capability.

I agree with other reviewers that Panasonic is a bit... shall we say... disingenuous in its terminology when it claims that the DMP-BD77 and other players like it are "Wi-fi Ready." Most people (like me) assume that this means the player has wi-fi built in, and will connect to a network right out of the box. This is simply not the case. These players have some wi-fi circuitry built into them, but require a separate - and expensive - wireless LAN adapter in order to function fully.

This is not the fault of the DY-WL5 adapter, so I'm not going to penalize it by lowering my rating of it. It is an excellent device that serves its (rather unnecessary) purpose quite well. Recommended.
on March 7, 2013
It took me forever to find this product then finally did on amazon! well worth it for blue-rays especially if your running wireless..simple connection hardly no set-up almost just plug and play. awesome for streaming netflix or hulu or anything else have never had a single problem.
on March 22, 2016
Panasonic should be ashamed that you have to buy one of these to get wireless. This "plug-in" works great with my Panasonic home theater system - easy connection/recognition and nice speed. I've noticed the price is cheaper than they used to be and the shipper was very good (and fast). If you can't plug your system into your router - this is definitely the way to go.
on March 2, 2014
This little thing did what its supposed to do, still mad that I had to buy this. But If you want to hook up to the internet with some of these Blu Ray players that are supposed to be internet ready you got no choice . What a rip- off !!!