Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Dot Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

on June 6, 2015
The purpose of my review thus far is to include a few images I didn't have upon purchase that others may want to see. The only way to do this is to write an actual review so I will update as I use the player more over time. At first glance the player is well made and is no larger than a good sized tablet. You can hold it in one hand. I have an image included of it next to our already small cable box (32" tv above). It really is not much larger than a disc case. Setup was painless and I purposely avoided even looking at the directions for this reason, to see how hard it would be with no understanding of the product. I had it ready to go in less than 10 minutes. The hardest part was turning on my laptop to get the wifi security code. The power cord is similar in shape and size to a cellular adapter.. even the plug is the same. There are only two connections on the back of the player.. the power and the HDMI port.. that's it. So for those who are wondering, there is no ethernet port to connect via cable. It's all wireless.. and if your TV for some reason doesn't have an HDMI port you'll need an adapter. The remote is easy to use and if you have a Panasonic TV it will operate that as well. Pictures below and i'll update as I use it more.

*For quick reference since Amazon chose not to give much at all of a description of the product they're selling, here is the Panasonic page that describes this player and its features in full detail.
[...]
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
33 comments| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2012
Before I purchased this Panasonic DMP-BDT220 WiFi Blu-Ray DVD Player, I had researched virtually every player available on the market. There's a lot to pick from, but I wanted to find the player that had the best all-around features, and a great price that would fit my budget. And after looking at a dozen or so different players, I concluded that this Panasonic player was the best pick in its price range. Other players, have various other options, a varied amount of output connections, and may specify on-board memory configurations, etc. While this player does not specify the memory amount, it appears to be sufficient enough to load streaming media (such as Netflix, Amazon Video or Hulu Plus and play it back without any hesitation or pauses.

After receiving the player, I hooked it up, and it worked perfectly right from the start. Found my WiFi network without any problems. I entered the security password information and it was connected to my WiFi network and my Internet connection in seconds. Even configured itself with connecting to my other devices and PCs on my network also without any problems. I did not have to enter any network address configurations or anything except for the router/network access password. I was able to instantly see the pictures and videos on my shared PCs on my home network.

I use this for my Netflix streaming and it works great with no problems at all. And there is no lag time between the apps selection under the Internet portion of the player, but that might be because I'm using this on a fairly high-speed 10/2 broadband connection.

I've also used several of the other Internet apps on the player, and they all worked great as well.

The Pros of this player is that it worked perfectly right out of the box, and it was a snap to setup, connect to the Internet through my WiFi network, and very easy to tell it to automatically download and update the firmware. This can also be done by downloading the firmware file from a computer and putting it on a CD-ROM or a flash drive, and then inserting that into the player, and the player will then see it, and automatically update the firmware.

The only Cons of this player, if one at all, would be that it lacks a second HDMI or Component HD connection on the back of the player, but for me, that wasn't a problem, as I connected this player, using the HDMI connection, directly to my HDTV. It does offer also an optical digital audio out connection, which I have connected to my Sony 7.1 Home Theater System, and it works perfectly. Blu-Ray movies look and sound GREAT!!

ALL IN ALL, I think this is a terrific WiFi Player from Panasonic and I think anyone would be very satisfied with this player. I know I am. And doing a lot of research before I purchased this did help in picking a very good player. I think it's the best WiFi Blu-Ray player in its price category.

One last suggestion though, is to purchase a color calibration DVD, which is available on Amazon, to calibrate or re-calibrate your TV using the Blu-ray Player. This will assure you that your television is set correctly, for not only color, but also for hue, brightness and contrast as well.
2727 comments| 665 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2012
Bought this as an upgrade for a Panasonic DMP-BD35, mainly for the online features, and so far it's been great.

I don't use Netflix so I can't comment on that but I do use Amazon Streaming a lot. My internet connection is not great, 2 megabit at peak but usually in the 1.5-1.8 range. I connected the player to my wireless network and other than it being annoying to enter a password using a remote control, it was easy and done in a couple of minutes. So far I have watched several movies and probably close to 100 hours of TV shows, standard and HD, and none have been a problem. The picture and sound has always been good and there has not been any choppiness, pauses or any other interruptions. If you are expecting to be able to stream stuff using a 2 megabit or lower connection and it be the same quality as playing a blu-ray, you will be disappointed and you should lower your expectations. From my experience, playing an HD version of something with my connection is like the upconverting of a DVD. It looks a little better and a little crisper but it isn't HD quality. I wasn't expecting it to be so it's not a problem.

As for the actual player, it's exceptional for the most part. There were several setup items that needed to be addressed before I could get the best out of the player, the TV and the disk. Stuff like having to turn on 24p, enabling some picture and sound options and the like. Nothing too hard but without doing them the playback isn't as good as it could be. Compared to my other player, the picture quality is superb. I have no complaints about that. Colors are great, clarity is great and overall it's just great. But again, if you haven't got the player optimized and your TV calibrated you may find you are disappointed.

I haven't really played around with the other apps except for YouTube. YouTube does what you would expect it to do although the interface is not that great and it can take you a little while to find things. I also don't have a 3D TV so I can't comment on that side of things.

The last thing I did play around with but found it more of a gimmick than useful was the remote control app. Yes, you can control the player from your phone quite easily but there is a slight delay which makes using the remote control far easier. The only thing where it stands head and shoulders above the remote control is when you are entering text. Since you can just type it easily on the phone and send it to the player it beats having to select each letter or number one by one using the remote.

I've upgraded the firmware twice, once initially when I got it and once around the beginning of November. I didn't really notice any differences but nothing bad happened.

Overall I am very pleased with this player. It does everything I wanted it to do and it does those things well. Depending on your usage and expectations your may have a different opinion but if you want to stream flawlessly via Amazon even with a slower wireless connection and play blu-ray disks perfectly then this is a great player at a great price.
on July 28, 2011
This Panasonic DMP-BD110 is the fourth BD player that I have purchased in since 2007 (my first being the Panasonic DMP-BD10A, second a Sharp HP20, third a Panasonic DMP-BD60). As you can imagine, the last thing I really needed was another BD player, however, I just got a great deal on a 3D tv and, well, you know how it goes. :)

I am giving this product a qualified 5 stars, with this caveat: for most people, it would be well worth it to spend the extra money to purchase the the next model up (the Panasonic DMP-BDT210), which includes the wireless-n wifi dongle. These two players are essentially the same with the exception of the dongle, some cosmetic differences and the motion sensor that opens the BD tray (not something I care for to be honest). For those purchasing the BDT110, if you do not have access to an ethernet connection for internet, you will be stuck buying a dongle for Panasonic's exorbitant price (since no other dongles work). This is a big knock against this player that has been pointed out by other reviewers. For my purposes, however, the BDT110 is just splendid since my router sits right behind my tv and I have it hooked up using an ethernet cable.

BD Playback Quality: To be fair, with the current line of players from all the major brands have excellent BD playback and they all upscale dvd's well. The technology has improved and there is no bad one in the bunch in terms of video playback. Some players are faster at loading BD discs than others, with the Panasonic being on the fast side of this equation. 3D performance is also excellent, although I can't say whether that is attributable to the TV (Panasonic L37DT30) or the player or some combination of both. I can say that the player is very responsive and I have had no issues in two weeks that I have owned it. Whatever problems the player had last spring have been fully resolved by firmware updates (which come regularly).

Viera Cast: The Viera Cast suite is terrific. My tv is equipped with viera cast as well and you would think they would be the same. Surprisingly, they are not. The version used on the BD players is MUCH better. This is particularly true for the Netflix application. The Netflix application on the BDT110 provides a search feature that allows you to search the entire Netflix database. You essentially have the same access and control over content as you would on your computer. The Playback is smooth. Movies and shows, including HD content, load quickly and require little if any time for buffering. You can skip scenes and the interface works similarly to the one on the Roku XD box--excellent. It doesn't look as sexy as the interface on the Apple TV, but it is more functional. Also available is Amazon Instant, including free streaming for Amazon Prime members (like me). Excellent quality as well and you have access to the latest movies and shows. The YouTube app is also outstanding, giving you access to your subscriptions, videos is essentially a more complete than most apps you'll find on mobile devices. I haven't really used the Fox Sports App or played games on the player, but the Viera Cast system has a lot of potentially and it's quite impressive.

The Remote: The remote is well thought out, with a dedicated netflix button (NICE!). The buttons could be a bit bigger though and less crowded. This is pretty typical for BD players these days, which have definitely cheapened the quality of the remotes.

Playback of pictures and videos from an SDHC Card or USB drive: Again, a big improvement over the version on panasonic tv. The files are layed out in an easy to search manner, line by line. The player is able to crunch through all the usual formats, including: .mkv, .mov, .mp4, .avi, .xvid, mpeg-2 etc. This player does stumble a bit on high bitrate .mkv files in 1080p, but many media players have some issues with these files (some can't play them at all). Most of us will use 720p .mkv files anyway, and those are no problem at all. Photo playback in .jpg are no problem, photos are easy to search for, load quickly and look great!

Word of Caution: Please be aware that if you are buying this player to play 3d Movies and content and you do not have receiver (AVR) that is HDMI 1.4 compliant (in other words, 3D ready), you will have to run the HDMI cable directly to the tv and then run a toslink (optical cable) to the receiver for sound. This means that if you do not have a 3d ready receiver and are using this player for 3d content, you will not be able to play 3d content through the receiver. Moreover, being limited to the optical cable for the audio feed means that you will not be able to use the lossless audio formats on the disks (i.e., no Dolby TrueHd, DTS-MA etc.). This is not a big deal for my set up, but some people will surely be disappointed. Panasonic does have a solution. The BDT310, which costs around $200 on Amazon, has two HDMI outputs, one for video to the TV and one for audio to the receiver. If you have a non-3d receiver and must have 3d and hi-def audio, this is probably your best choice (or you can buy a new receiver--which will cost a lot more than the BDT310). Just some food for thought. Please also note that this is an issue with 3d playback through HDMI 1.3 receivers and is not unique to Panasonic. It effects ALL 3D BD players--so no stars are going to be deducted. If you do not care about the 3d playback and just intend to use the player as a regular BD non-3d player it will function like any other BD player and you can run the hdmi straight to the AVR as usual and get lossless sound formats--so for you people who have not yet adopted 3d technology, you can ignore this paragraph.

In short, this is an excellent choice in BD player, particularly if you don't need wifi included. If you do need wifi access, the BDT210 is the better value. With that caveat, I give the BDT110 five stars.

EDIT 6/22/11: I have been using the BDT110 for a couple of months now and I continue to enjoy the player immensely. I have only watched 15 or so BD disks and a handful of DVDS. I have had no issue at all with playback and the image and sound quality have been more than satisfactory. I am continuing to enjoy streaming apps from Netflix and Amazon, probably for more than an hour or two a day. Both apps have worked flawlessly. I have also been using the player to view home videos of my 11 week old that I shoot with Sony HX9V cameras in fully 1080p at 60fps in AVCHD format (28mbps). This profile is beyond bluray, which limited to 1080i at 60fps at 24mbps (or 1080p at 30fps or 24fps). Again, I have had no issue at all with playback. I am extremely impressed with the image processing power of this player. If I could give this line of players from Panasonic a sixth star, I would.
1111 comments| 154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 18, 2016
This Panasonic Smart 4 K upscaling is as advertised. A real workhorse great for my home entertainment set-up. I purchased the 3D 4K Upscaling/Twin HDMI. Set-up was easy and package arrived on time well packaged. The install user manual is straight forward and very detailed for virtually any set-up you may need. Wifi, 3D Bluray, Miracast, 4K upscaling this gem is the total package. I give it 5 stars and would recommend as a great buy at a fair price for the features and benefits that comes with this unit. Hope this helps you with your buying decision...Simple Home

Panasonic Best in Class Smart Network 4K Upscaling 3D Blu-Ray Disc & Streaming Player DMP-BDT460 (Silver) , WiFi, Twin HDMI, Miracast
on September 20, 2016
Item worked great while it was under warranty (90 Days). As soon as warranty was up, item started freezing and wouldn't respond other than unplugging it. Freezes on old and new dvd and blu-ray. Panasonic wants to charge $170 to repair it being 10 days out of warranty. Looks like I'll be buying another unit. I'll also never be buying Panasonic due to their poor customer service.
on January 3, 2016
I used to always swear by Panasonic products. They have an excellent reputation. However, someone dropped the ball with this thing. I don't use it all that much, but when I do I am quickly frustrated by it. It is constantly freezing up and the only way to reset it is to unplug it and wait 5 minutes for the thing to reboot itself. I can't even watch 2 movies in a row. After first movie finishes, the only thing that functions is the eject button and then even that will only function once before it too quits. After that the controls and screen lock up and I have to reboot. It makes no difference if I use the remote or the unit's controls. The lock up affects both. I have mine connected to my Wifi and have the same problems with streaming media, so it's not just a DVD issue. I hope that someday Panasonic will update the software, firmware or fix whatever the problem is.
UPDATE 5-26-17: Since my first review of this DVD player, Panasonic has released a firmware update. You will need to have your player connected to the internet to automatically download it. I have used the player for a few weeks now since receiving the update and I will say that I have not had any problems with it since. So thank you very much Panasonic. Better late than never I guess. I'm changing my rating from 2 to 3 stars and may return to raise the rating later if the player continues to function without issue.
on February 12, 2017
WIFI gets tired and can’t maintain the stream. Frequent buffering and complaints about not enough bandwidth. To fix you have to unplug it and let it sit about 30 seconds. Then it may perform properly. Or not. I often switched to a DVD.

On a whim I bought a Roku and plugged it into the HDMI3 (Game) port so we could use the DVD player in HDMI2.. Its performance so far is flawless. Also has the benefit of a SIMPLE remote that’s easy to use.
on January 27, 2017
Wanted to cut the cable cord and bought this to get the built-in software so we could stream video content from Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc. It was a better option for me than buying a new smart TV or a Roku box, etc. Did my research and this unit scored high marks all around. Very easy to set up and so far, very satisfied. Best of all, I said goodbye to the expensive cable company TV package.

Edit: Been using this device now for about 5 months. Worked well until a week or so ago when the home screen began doing weird things and not responding to commands from the remote. Changed remote batteries, reset my modem, and reset the connection between the DVD and the wired Internet. Still having issues with the DVD home screen freezing and not allowing me to scroll to get an Internet connection. Will have to contact Panasonic for possible warranty repairs.
on November 28, 2012
[See update below.] I have had this player for a couple of weeks now and everything seems to work as advertised--very well. I have not tried the 3D feature since I don't have the TV to go with it. I have had one happy surprise and one not so happy one:

Very Good: I have found that Netflix movies can be streamed with subtitles using the Panasonic. This is a big plus for me as I don't hear as well as I used to. I have three other Blu-Ray players and none can do this. I had always assumed that the fault was with Netflix. I wonder whether other new players can do this--it is never mentioned in the reviews I have seen.
[Update: I had a chance to check out the Sony S590 (competition for the Panasonic player) and found that it, too, can display Netflix subtitles. Maybe this is a standard feature on new players.]

Less Good: To my surprise, the remote cannot be programmed to make the volume control work with other-than-Panasonic TV's. Not a major thing, but it is the first time I have encountered this with a peripheral remote. So, one must have two remotes at hand to simply watch a movie. I would have taken off half a star here, but could not.

One other piddling issue is that the player is very short, front-to-back, and very light. So component stacking is tough unless this unit is on top. And, the lightness means that it slides around with the lightest touch; I'll have to look for some sticky feet, I guess.

On balance, I am very pleased: Quite a performer at the incredibly low cost. If any issues arise over time, I'll do an update.

UPDATE: I have had this unit for several months now and it has developed a handful of glitches that force me to take off a couple of stars. On more than a few bluray disks, the machine will freeze at some point in the middle of a movie and refuse to go further. Because I mostly play Netflix disks, lack of pristine surfaces may be an issue, but I am usually unable to see any defects and cleaning does not seem to help. Further, when I try them on my Sony S90, they play perfectly.

Lately, I have been having difficulties with streaming as well. The unit cannot seem to find the signal, then, when it does connect, operations slow down to a crawl. Factory resets, power-cycling, etc. are hit-or-miss solutions.

I am leaving two stars because the unit is not entirely worthless; just frustrating. So far, it still plays regular DVD's just fine and the streaming functions work well about two-thirds of the time.

In short, I am much less happy with the Panasonic than I was at first. This is even worse because the Sony S90 (bought about a month later and used considerably more) continues to work so well. If you are determined to have this player, spring for the Amazon two-year warranty for an extra $20. The manufacturer's warranty is pretty much worthless after 90 days.