Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,929 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,220 reviews
on August 17, 2016
I spent a lot of time checking out all of the top rated electric razors. First, I wanted a razor that would give me a decent shave, I enjoy shaving with a blade and lather when I have the time and didn't expect as close a shave from an electric. Secondly, I didn't want to spend too much for what I want but I also didn't want to spend much less than $100.00 because I've had those razors in the past and they are poor value, don't shave well at all and don't last long.
Now, why I picked the Panasonic ES-LA63-S Arc 4. First it was in my price range, very important to me. Some models, although very good, get Ridiculously expensive. Secondly, the reviews from other purchasers on Amazon rated this model highly, better than the Arc 5. I didn't want a washing station, just more crap around my sink. It doesn't have to be plugged in all the time, again less crap hanging around, the razor, cord and charger sitting out. It holds the charge for definitely more than a week and charges in ONE HOUR. I've time it several times, from flat battery to full charge, one hour. The digital read out on the handle is very handy, tells you how much charge you have left and how long you took to shave.
It has a big head, which to me is good, covers more area with each stroke. I have had no trouble at all around my nose or those few hair that hide in the corner of your mouth. The area around my adam's apple doesn't come out perfect, but is very acceptable to me. I usually shave in less than 3 minutes. If that's too long, you're in trouble. It's easy to clean. Running water will do it, I like using an can of compressed air. Blow it out in two seconds and it's not wet when I put it away. I liked the features and lay out of the Arc4 better than even the more expensive units.
They suggest you allow 30 days for your face to get accustomed to the unit. It took about half that for my face to not know I'd shaved it. As your face gets used to it, the shave gets better and better. I never expected to get this close a shave from an electric and without face burn. I am very happy with my Arc4. You won't be sorry if you buy an Arc4.
Hope this was of some help to you.
on January 26, 2017
I replaced a 6-yr old Remington piece of junk; I could no longer get titanium replacement blades and screens. I spent many hours researching shavers, especially very pricey Braun shavers. Then a review site pointed me to consider Panasonic. Boy, was this a great choice. Definitely not as close a shave as a blade razor but the most comfortable electric shaver I have ever used except for a 20 year old Philips/Norelco rotary which never did cut very close. I bought this cheaper Panasonic model instead of the LA93 (?) which has the big charging and cleaning station; not worth the extra money. This is my first experience with a waterproof shaver; I now put a thin layer of normal (cheap) blade shave cream on my face, then use the electric. Boy is that an improvement over using an electric shaver "dry"! OK, about the quality of the shave . . . on large, flat areas of the cheek, almost as close as a blade shave. My neck hairs grow in different directions; it takes multiple passes in various directions to get a visibly close shave. I say "visibly close" because you can still feel stubble with your fingers. My lower chin is my problem area: tough, wiry beard, growing in all directions. I spend as much time on my lower chin as on the whole rest of my face. Eventually I can get a visually close shave but it certainly does not feel very close (just ask my wife!). A warning: it is very easy to scalp your sideburns if you aren't careful. I generally stay away from the bottom of the sideburns and then trim them with a blade safety razor later. (The trimmer cutter on this electric razor does not get close at all!) Overall, this Panasonic gives a pretty good shave. It is best for a quick 5 o'clock shadow cleanup or for weekends when I might not shave until the afternoon. But my best shave is with a blade safety razor while in the shower! But, of course, occasionally I get a nick or two that way.
on May 27, 2016
I have been using Panasonic shavers for years. My last one gave me at least 8 good long years and it was finally time to replace it. This shaver delivers a clean close shave, quietly and quickly. The battery life is long and it is easy to clean. At first I thought the head was kind of big and bulky and thought it might be difficult to use in tight places but that hasn't been the case. This is a well made product!
review image
on October 13, 2013
(UPDATE 11/20/13 - To research complaints about battery drain, I went ahead and did a battery drain test AFTER the display on my shaver showed "10%" of juice left. It ran for a FULL 35 minutes beyond this point before conking out. I think what's happening is the display drops in 10% increments after each use, giving users the misleading impression that they've got little charge left especially when they hit the "50% left" mark. Based on my "battery drain" test, this is NOT true. The battery in this shaver is GREAT, holding a charge that lasts well within the 45 minutes touted on a single charge.)

=========================
ORIGINAL REVIEW BELOW.
=========================

* Until now, I've always believed electric razors could NEVER come close to beating hand-held blades. But this Panasonic comes very close - so much so that I rarely use a straight blade anymore!

* Disclosure: I do NOT work for Panasonic and I am NOT being compensated in any way for this review. But this Panasonic ES-LA63-S Arc 4 Mens Electric Shaver is pure, unadulterated awesomeness, blowing every competing Norelco and Braun shaver out of the water!

* Very few people can afford $300 for this machine. But when it comes up for sale for under $150, which is often - you should snap it up because it's worth EVERY penny - and THEN SOME.

* Unlike other electric razors, this Panasonic cuts so close without nicking up your skin that you won't believe your eyes and you won't believe your fingers when you run them over your face after each shave. Neck hair will take longer to shave - but NOT too much longer compared to other electric razors. (And I have coarse dark hair which grows quickly.)

* A blue LED light clocks each session. When you turn it off, it tells you how much battery life is left, i.e., 90%, 80%, 70%, 60%, etc. You'll get about 45 minutes of shaving on a single charge - or about 10 days worth of shaving without reaching for the re-charger. (BTW, the reason this shaver won't work with the cord is common sense! Who wants to be electrocuted in the shower with the cord attached?)

* Cleaning is a breeze. Just press the buttons on the right and left sides of the head - and the foil framework comes off easily. Turn your shaver on and hold the power button down for at least two seconds. Your shaver will go into a "cleaning mode" whereby its blades will vibrate like mad, providing the cleaning equivalent of jumping to light-speed in a "Star Wars" movie - without rattling like the Millennium Falcon. Just run tap water over the blades and all hair cuttings will vibrate off into your bathroom sink.

* I've tried this shaver in both wet and dry modes and its performance is superb. However, shaving in wet mode with a thin cream such as Kiss My Face Moisture Shave Key Lime Cream is supersonic awesome. (Note, shaving "wet" makes cleaning easier because you'll have less facial oil when you clean the heads after every use.) Unlike Norelcos with rotary blades which pivot a little, the head on this Panasonic pivots up and down AND side to side, hugging your face in every direction. It has two (2) motors. One cuts up and down and the other cuts from side to side. It's great at getting rid of 99 7/8% of my neck hair and the nubs in both corners of my mouth. (More about that "1/8" difference later.)

* This shaver comes with a travel pouch and a locking switch (to prevent it from going on while traveling) - as well as a blade cover. It also has a pop-up trimmer for bushy sideburns and mustaches. The head can even be locked to prevent pivoting while shaving.

* Now, about replacement blades. Do the math. Panasonic still wins. If you have to change blades every six-months-to-a-year - well, no offense, but you've got a genetic profile of a werewolf. Most people with "standard" beards won't have to replace the blades on this machine for WAY MORE than a year, and I have a tough, coarse beard.

* The money you'll spend for two (2) Panasonic WES9068PC Men's Shaver Replacement Inner Blades - is TINY compared to the cost of replacement blades for other electric razors. This Panasonic takes two (2) replacement blades - which doubles to four blades - because two additional blades are built into the outer foils - which hook into the base of the replacement blades. Note that the outer foil unit - Panasonic WES9165PC Men's Shaver Replacement Foil - does cost more to replace, but you won't replace it often (unless you break or puncture it) - because the two blades built into them are designed to cut thicker hair. These blades are comparable to what's found on a trimmer for sideburns, but the foils protect you from getting nicked or cut. (And I don't know anyone who's ever replaced the bigger blades on a trimmer.) Don't get me wrong. You WILL change the two-bladed foil unit eventually, but in the long run, you WILL still save money compared to what it costs to buy one 18-multi-blade blister pack locked up in plastic cases in stores. If you want to save even more money, buy the foil and the two blades TOGETHER - which are available in the Panasonic WES9025PC Men's Shaver Replacement Out Foil and Blade Kit for ES-LA63-S. Buying this "kit" should save you around $20 to $30 than buying these items separately.

* I'm taking away a "half-star" (even though fractional-stars aren't allowed here) - for one reason. While this is the BEST electric razor I've ever used - note that in my first paragraph above, I said "this Panasonic comes very close" to beating a hand-held blade. After a wet shave (which I recommend over dry if you're not in a hurry) - I run my fingers over my cheeks, jaw bone and neck. They slide like a sled on snow across my face and jaw line - and over 99 7/8% of my neck.

* But there are always one or two tiny spots on my neck this razor won't completely get. Now, you might ask, "well then what's the point of buying this Panasonic ES-LA63-S Arc 4 Mens Electric Shaver with Dual Motor and Multi-Flex Pivoting Head if it's not as good as a blade?"

* This is my response: Shaving is one of the most aggravating and time consuming chores men face EVERY day. The type of finish you will get with this Panasonic ES-LA63-S Arc 4 Mens Electric Shaver with Dual Motor and Multi-Flex Pivoting Head is EQUAL to using a hand-held blade for, let's say, four minutes. Think about it. During my hand-held "blading" days, unless I was headed to a special event - I did NOT spend as much time to get at every cotton-picking nook and cranny on my neck, especially the area below my ears. I could still FEEL tiny bristles, but I could not SEE them. When 100% smoothness was required, I spent more time WITH A HAND-HELD BLADE to get at those nooks and crannies anyway. Hence the "touch up" conundrum. Today, I STILL keep a hand-held two-blader nearby if perfection is my goal. But most of the time, I don't bother.

* One last thing. Don't mess with electric shaving kits which come with "immersible tubs" filled with expensive cleaning solutions. Panasonic recommends just liquid soap and water to clean the heads. (After shaving in wet mode, I don't even bother with soap. The residual suds from the Kiss My Face Moisture Shave Key Lime Cream and a strong blast of tap water while the heads are in "cleaning mode" does the job for me. If I want to clean after shaving dry, I just use a blast of tap water, no soap.)

* Yes, the $300 price tag is steep and yes, you get what you pay for. But this Panasonic is almost always on sale for below retail. For all these reasons, this Panasonic ES-LA63-S Arc 4 Mens Electric Shaver with Dual Motor and Multi-Flex Pivoting Head still gets a STRONG four and one-half stars.
on November 21, 2016
I can just say a few words here because I have had and have no time to do anything lately, including shaving. I have only had this since 11/4 and it is now 11/21. So I can't tell you details about wet vs dry, cleaning etc...... All I can say is that I bought this after my battery was dying on my old Braun 3 series razor, which I thought was a good razor. But to change the battery is more difficult than trying to change a battery on an IPhone which is difficult but I can do with my eyes closed.

So I am stunned. This is better than anything I could even imagine! Maybe if I used a brand new 5 blade regular razor in the shower with shaving cream, it might be a better shave...maybe? But this is the closet shave and best Electric Razor I have ever used. It is amazing to me. I can spend less than 1 minute each day and have a perfect shave. I mean PERFECT shave. I want to shoot myself for not buying this when it was first available. If I did not shave for 2-3 days I had to use an electric trimmer, a blade shave in the shower and then my Braun to miss everything I could not get with the blade shave.

So I have had this is over two weeks and it is a lifesaver and I still am in disbelieve as to how well it works. I did try the side trim feature today and it did not seem to me that great, but as far as shaving this is the best razor I have ever used, gives me an almost perfect like blade shave and I am really glad I bought it! Really glad! I'm only writing this because after two weeks the LCD is saying my charge is at 10% and I needed to charge this and it reminded me to leave a review.

But if you hate to shave like I do, BUY THIS RAZOR! it is 1000% Awesome!

Oh well, that's it Jeff.(who does not look like a bum (anymore)'

Thank you Panasonic!
on February 3, 2017
It was finally time to replace my old Panasonic cordless shaver (model ES8103) which I have been fairly happy with. I've grown accustomed to needing to follow-up with a disposable razor to get stray hairs on my neck and just behind my jaw. So, when I read the reviews on the new shavers from Panasonic I was excited with all the reports that this new Panasonic gives people the 'closest shave they have ever gotten from an electric shaver.' Now, almost $200 later, I have it and I have shaved with it and it shaves no different. The size and shape of the razor are bigger and this 4-arc nonsense is just that. As you can see from my pictures, both the old Panasonic shaver and the new ARC4 have only two razors. One has a big head on it, one has a small head on it. I get the exact same shave!

See the photos and decide for yourself if this $200 Panasonic shaver is worth $140 more than the $60 Panasonic shaver.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
88 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2015
I own old Norelco Philips Arcitec 1050 and decided to upgrade to this Panasonic shaver.

Advantage of Panasonic over Philips 1050

- Panasonic shaves more deeply and shaving result is better. After shaving skin is softer and smooth. I tried with and without cream no big difference here and in both situations Panasonic is winner here

Disadvantages
- Battery is very weak compared to Philips. On full charge Philips ~ 10 shaves vs Panasonic ~ 4-5 shaves. It is important because I never took Philips charger with my even on long trips.
- Panasonic is much heavier. If you travel much this should be considered.
- Panasonic is louder. Probably its not issue for many people but in the morning when shaving I don't want to wake my kids up. Besides that it also disturbs me.
- It is not easy to shave in the "corners" of face. For example below the nose. You have to repeat movement and push hardly many times in order to get good result.
- Problem with long hair. It is impossible to shave with Panasonic after not shaving for 5 days. You have to use trimmer first. For Philips no big deal even after week not shaving it cuts like Japanese knife.
- Trimmer is big but not very effective. Philips trimmer is smaller but cuts better even after 7 years using it.

I am still not sure what will be the next. Will it be new model of Philips or Braun.
Braun has good reviews but still don't want to risk again.

Hope this review helps!

Cheers!
on April 27, 2017
Okay, I'm old enough to remember the old Remington, and Norelco razor commercials. Now that's out of way, and with the perspective of the fact that I have owned at least a dozen different electric shavers in my lifetime, I was in the market for a new one. The one I had previous to this Panasonic was a Braun series 5...had it for 12 years because it came pretty close to matching the performance of a razor, and it was reliable. It's only short coming was with a 2-3 day growth, it bordered on painful to cut through it mostly because the replacement blades were much inferior to the original, and my face felt it!

I decided to see if there were any shavers out there were under $100, that could maybe replace my old workhorse Braun, and give me at least a little better results, and was wet/dry capable. The Panasonic fit the bill, and I decided to give it a try. When I got it and saw the massive shaving head I thought, I had made a mistake....that no way was this going to be able to get into those tough areas on the jaw line and on either side of the under the chin. Plus I was dreading that infamous "skin break in period" everyone talks about. My first shave was simply amazing....it got into the areas I was worried about without a whimper...and sailed through all the other areas like a rider mower through a 9' X 12' lawn...it cut my shaving time in half and the results were very impressive...and didn't irritate my skin one bit. So I decided to not shave for 3 days (I'm retired, so I can get away with that) and see how it handled this test. It hit the heaviest growth on my chin...the motor changed pitch slightly, but it cut through it...and without any pain....like it was a one day's growth. I had to make a few additional passes but what usually took me 5 mins to accomplish with my old Braun, only took 3 mins, with fantastic results. Let's be honest...no electric shaver can match a razor in closeness, but this Panasonic comes as close as I've ever seen, or felt. Throw in the bonus that you can wet shave, and run it under the faucet or shower to clean it out and you've got a real winner! Frankly, for the money...you'd be hard pressed to find a better electric shaver and the fact that it was under $100 makes it a real gem. The only thing lacking is that it doesn't come with a holder or stand....big deal, I stand it up in the corner of my vanity, and it does just fine. This shaver is a winner in price, performance, and convenience. Give it a shot.
on July 15, 2017
For an electric shaver, this is awesome. I did a lot of research on electric shavers before buying this, and here is why I chose this one. Also, remember that no electric shaver will ever be as close as a razor...this one is super close though

First, for years I have been using the cheap $40 walmart shavers from remington and such and decided I needed a closer shave. I was skeptical at first that these could actually be better but figured i would give it a shot. So vs my normal low end shavers, this is much better. Closer shave, faster, and does a better job. So yes there was a significant difference. I was skeptical but its definitely much closer. I actually shaved with my lower end one and then took this over it and more hair was cut. So its a measurable difference.

So why did I choose this one vs the ARC5 or the Braun series 7 or 9? I chose the arc4 over the arc5 because there was a $100 price difference. I bought this shaver for $89. The arc5 is not reviewed to be any closer of a shave than this one so it wasn't worth the extra money for a few bells and whistles. Why choose this over the braun? Well first all reviews seemed to point that the arc series has a closer shave the braun but that the braun is more comfortable. I wanted a closer shave...but most importantly, you can clean the panasonic with soap and water and dont need to mess with a cleaning station, kits, etc. That seemed like a major hassle to me. You cannot manually clean the braums, you need the station whereas on the panasonics you do not.

So there you have it. i did a ton of research on this and thus far its definitely worth the $89 I paid for it.

Update: Now that I have had this for a few weeks, my review stays the same. I will add though, to clean, I simply fill a cup with soap/water and run the shaver for maybe 5-10 seconds in it, then I take the head off, and do it with the blades. Then I rinse and let to dry until next use. Pretty easy. Takes maybe 30 seconds and leaves it clean. I am so glad I don't need to deal with a cleaning station.
on May 22, 2017
I was pleasantly surprised at how well this worked. Previously, I was using a rotary electric shaver and this one is better. I especially like it since it can be used on my face while it is wet with soap and warm water (shaving cream is too thick). It's still not quite as close a shave as a good new razor but no one else will see or feel the difference shortly after the shave (e.g., wife with tender cheeks). Holds a battery charge very well so you don't have to drag the charger if you're going away for a week or 10 days (I haven't tried to see how much longer it might work before fully depleted). If you don't like it you can return it to Panasonic within 30 days for any reason (or so they say but I didn't put this promise to the test).