Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 224 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 257 reviews
on March 20, 2016
I recently began using the ES-LV95 after a brief detour with the Braun 9095cc, both flagship shavers from Panasonic and Braun; the ES-LV95 replaces my older ES-LV81. This review is a comparison of the (relatively) new Panasonic with the newest Braun, however contrasting this new Panasonic with the old, the ES-LV95 improves performance and convenience in every respect by comparison with the earlier Panasonic, so I won't reference the venerable ES-LV81 again.

Compared to the Braun, the new Panasonic is lighter weight (7 oz vs 8 oz) and slightly slimmer. It's mostly plastic, but then so is the Braun, and esthetics of either is a matter of opinion. The Panasonic has slightly less chrome showing and is a little more svelte, which I sort of favor, so a win for the Panny for appearances for me. The head is larger - about 1/4" wider - and seems more flexible than the Braun's, moving more easily around a true 360 degree axis rather than the Braun's two-dimensional swivel, allowing the Panasonic to adapt to the contours of your face better. It covers more area quicker, and shortens my morning shave by almost half compared to the 9095cc, but does require practice maneuvering the larger head around the corners and angles of your face. The Panasonic has 5 cutters arranged symmetrically (a center flat cutter for longer whiskers, flanked on either side by 2 foils), contrasting Braun's asymmetrical 4 cutters (2 different flat cutters, blue and silver, with a foil on either side). One advantage of the Panasonic is that the cutter blocks and foil can be purchased separately - the foils wear out faster, so may need more frequent replacement, but can be replaced without replacing the cutters. With the Braun, the cutters and foils are one cartridge assembly so you have to buy both. As an addendum, replacement heads for the Braun have been generally unavailable now for more than a year, with the few that are available priced sometimes at more than the cost of the shaver. The Panasonic replacement heads are readily available anywhere, usually $50-60 range for foil and cutter blocks combined.

The higher speed cutting cycles of the Panasonic (14,000 cpm) compared to Braun's 10,000 cpm, seem to provide a more comfortable shave (for me) - that's 233 cutting cycles per second (Panasonic), compared to 167 cutting cycles per second (Braun), or 40 percent faster. Braun's "sonic" technology also creates more vibration (and noise) in the head and shaver compared to the Panny. The high speed Panasonic seems to smooth out each pass, and require fewer passes or repeat passes, as opposed to the Braun's "paint mixer" vibrations on your face and in your hand. Neither of course is as quiet as a rotary shaver. The Panasonic shave is definitely closer, with fewer missed spots or random whiskers. Panasonic also has a "sensor" mode on this shaver, which reportedly detects beard thickness and adjusts cutting speed, which it actually appears to do; it does result in a less irritating shave than previous models or the Braun, which could be attributable to this feature. The Panasonic requires a different technique and a lighter touch than the Braun - since it cuts your beard more easily, you don't need to apply any extra pressure shaving to get a close cut; in fact if you press as hard with the Panny as you sometimes must with the Braun, it will let you know you've had a close shave, and not in a good way. Easy does it. Both shavers have a lock for the head, allowing a closer shave around more challenging areas such as under the nose and around sideburns, and both have a pop-up trimmer for trimming along a straight line. Both configurations work equally well for those purposes.

Battery longevity seems similar for both shavers, with the nod going to Panasonic for number of shaves per charge because it takes less time to shave; should last a week or more on the road with a single charge. You can charge these shavers with the cord, without the cleaning station, and both are multi-voltage for traveling. Cords are similar with large transformer plugs, and like all wet/dry shavers, you can't use either shaver as a corded shaver but must recharge. Straight cord for the Panny, coiled cord for the Braun. Information on the shavers' LED displays is similar; the Panasonic provides percentage of charge left versus the Braun, which just displays diminishing bars until the final ten minutes of charge. The Panasonic also displays "MIN USED" for a shave, up to ten minutes, when it starts over. I actually find this useful for improving my shaving technique and speed.

The cleaning station for the Panasonic is significantly improved over the previous design, which sometimes had problems with leaking solution. The new design uses a detergent solution and a filter tray rather than a cassette - you mix the detergent packet with water in the tray, and I recommend distilled water to avoid mineral build-up on shaver or cleaner. The Panasonic cleaner is water based versus the alcohol based Braun station, but both provide excellent cleaning performance - Braun says their cleaning solution is not compatible with soap, so none of the Braun shavers that include a cleaning station are approved for use with shaving foam or gel. That's right folks - the Braun wet/dry shavers that include a cleaning station are not approved by Braun for use with shaving cream. The Braun alcohol solution is advertised as "sanitizing" the shaver head, but both cleaning solutions provide more than adequate anti-bacterial properties (remember, you wash your hands with soap and water), and neither actually sterilizes the head (important tip - don't share your shaver with anyone boys and girls). The Braun station runs with a couple of minutes of louder buzzing (running the shaver for cleaning), followed by about 40 minutes of a quiet fan cycle, while the Panasonic station runs the shaver a little over 5 minutes, followed by a little over an hour of fan drying; both stations seem to run either comparable cycle at about the same noise level - the fan cycle is plenty quiet for a spouse, partner or family member sleeping feet away. The Panasonic seems to dry the head completely, whereas the Braun is always slightly damp the next morning. Both station/shaver combos occupy about the same counter space and height, with similar controls and information for drying or cleaning, with the Braun being slightly larger and taller.

Probably most significantly, the Braun cleaning cartridges cost more than twice as much as the Panasonic detergent packs, require orders of magnitude more storage space, and are flammable; one plus for the Braun cartridges is that they are self-contained like the Philips Norelco cleaning system, requiring no mixing. If storage space is as important as convenience however (and we're talking a minute or so exercise of opening a detergent pack, emptying it into a tray and filling the tray with water - once a month tops), you can store more than a year's worth of Panasonic cleaning packets in the bottom of a bathroom cabinet drawer without noticing, while that many Braun cartridges will fill a substantial part of your closet with flammable liquid. Cartridges for the new Braun cleaner don't seem to last as long as previous units either, less than a month on average for me, shaving daily. Panasonic detergent solution lasts well over a month - going on two months now with the current solution and just as effective cleaning. Cleaning with either station will leave your shaver like new and smelling fresh, but both shavers can really just be rinsed in running water, so you don't absolutely need a cleaning station, although it is convenient. The Panasonic head is much easier to clean manually than the Braun since the foil and cutters are separate. The one minus of the Panasonic compared to the Braun is the travel case - the Braun has a nicely fitted hard leather case, where the Panasonic has their standard "faux leather" vinyl bag, but they do provide a hard plastic head cover.

As a side note, there is already a new Panasonic series of shavers (ES-LV6/7/9) on the market that appear similar, with a slightly redesigned head and body, and a similar cleaning station, so the ES-LV95 is not their newest model. Again, be aware that if you are a traditional "wet shaver" - I.e. shaving soap and water - Braun specifically says their only approved Series 9 shavers for shaving foam or gel are the 9040s and the 9080s (the "s" suffix means does not include the cleaning station), NOT the 9095cc. I have used it successfully with a shaving brush and soap, but according to Braun's literature this is an "off label" use and may void your warranty. If you are a wet shaver, technically your only choice is the Panasonic between these two. Highly recommended.
1313 comments| 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 12, 2014
I bought this shaver to replace an older Remington r7130. I am active duty military and have to shave daily, so I wanted to get a shaver that would give me a fast, close shave. My old Remington wasn't working the best even after replacing the blades and cleaning it regularly so I wanted to try something new.

I read reviews that the Panasonic ES-LV95-S and Braun 799cc were two of the best foil shavers and decided to compare them. I have thick facial hair with tough skin on my face, but sensitive skin on my neck and was hoping that these two would cause less irritation on my neck than my old Remington. I only tested these two shavers dry, but here's how it went for me.

Sound and Feel: The Panasonic was slightly louder than the Braun, but it was most likely due to the fact that it had a higher pitch since it runs at 14,000 cycles per minute vs. Braun's 10,000 vibrations per minute. I wouldn't describe either as being too loud since they didn't bother my wife or dog that were sleeping in the next room at 530 AM. The Panasonic felt like the foil got warm when it was shaving, but wasn't hot or annoying. You could definitely tell that it was giving you a close shave. The Braun had more of a vibration to it that almost felt like a massage and you couldn't really tell it was cutting the hairs, but it was. Overall I would say the Braun sounded and felt slightly better than the Panasonic when using it.

Shave Quality: I tested the two shavers daily for a week then with two days growth when on leave by shaving half my face with the Panasonic and half with the Braun. Neither my wife, mother, or mother-in-law were able to tell the difference between the sides when looking at me. However, when the touching my face they always said the side I used the Panasonic on felt smoother without knowing which shave I used. Also, the side the Panasonic was used on took longer for my five o'clock shadow to show up than the side with the Braun, but just slightly. I would say that the Panasonic definitely provides a closer shave than the Braun.

Shave Time and Cleaning Ease: I was able to get as close a shave as possible on the Panasonic side approximately one minute faster than the Braun's side every time with about 2 minutes for the Panasonic vs. 3 minutes for the Braun. It is easier to manually rinse the Panasonic as well since it's foil and blades are separate whereas the Braun's foil and blades are one unit. I did not compare the cleaning stations as I planned on returning one of the shavers and was more concerned with a fast, quality shave over how well the cleaning unit works.

Accessories: The Braun's cleaning station looks nicer than the Panasonic's and other reviews say that it works better, but like I said earlier, I did not compare the cleaning stations. The charging cords can plug into the back of their respective shavers or cleaning stations, so there's really no difference in charging options. The carrying case for the Braun was a hard clam shell design while the Panasonic was a soft leather. I did like the case for the Braun better, but since Panasonic provides a protective cap for the foil it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

Overall: For a dry shave the Panasonic consistently provided a higher quality shave in a shorter time. I did not test the wet shave of either. It did seem that the Panasonic would provide a better wet shave as well since it would be easier to rinse hair and shaving cream from its foil and blades than the Braun. I am definitely happy with the Panasonic and will be sticking with it even though it cost me ~ $150 more than the Braun. The shave quality and speed was worth it to me.

On a side note, the dry shave of the Panasonic was nearly as close of a shave as using a Schick Hydro 5 razor with shaving cream. The razor (with new blades) got slightly closer, but the Panasonic had less irritation and no chance of dealing with any cuts when in a hurry. I am pleasantly surprised with how well this shaver works.
22 comments| 191 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 18, 2016
This is *absolutely* the best shaver OR razor I have ever used, and I have used many. Set aside your Norelco, your Braun... your Harry or Razor of Month club, and even the Viking uber-razor equipment. This shaver will give you and incredibly close shave, whether you have one-days worth of stubble or three-days worth or even five days (use the trimmer on rear for five to seven+ days worth). The charger and cleaning system, all-in-one, is superb. But back to the shaver... amazingly close and smooth shave with no nicks--which is much harder with a double-edge razor, no mater how good you are.

Personally, this is my routine with this Panasonic shaver that gives me a better shave than even the best mens "premium" shaving salon/shops in NYC (and I NEVER write reviews this long):

1) Wash your face with very warm water and then wipe it all with a witch hazel product such as Facial Cleansing Pads - Tea Tree Oil, 50 pads 2-pack or Thayers Alcohol-free Rose Petal Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera ~ 12 oz , which you can put on your own cotton pads. Let it air-dry for 30 seconds or so.

2) Next use an exfoliator/razor defense with very warm water. I know this sounds feminine, but it really works. I use this one: Neutrogena Men Razor Defense Face Scrub, 4.2 Ounce (Pack of 2) . A little dab goes a looooong way and lasts months. Rinse off.

3) Apply a pre-shave oil such as Best Pre-Shave Oil, Sandalwood, Premium Shaving Oil for Effortless Smooth Irritation-free Shave. 1 Oz or AMERICAN CREW Ultra Gliding Shave Oil, 1.7 Ounce . Again, doing so reallllllly helps. No need to wash this off, but work it well into your skin like you were working oil into a new baseball glove when you were a kid. :-)

4) Apply a shaving cream (remember this is a WET/DRY shaver, which is incredible) all over parts of face to be shaved, a nice visible thin layer does the trick. I use a simple shaving cream such as: Neutrogena Men Skin Clearing Shave Cream, 5.1 Ounce .

5) Shave with your Panasonic while running the faucet on hot water. Periodically, shave and then rinse the shaver under the running water every 15 seconds or so.

Voila -- the best and smoothest skin on your face!
on January 14, 2017
There is no perfect razor. Period. I have tried everything. I have had previous Panasonic 5 head razors, Phillips-Norelco 1280 wet/dry. They all have issues. Every beard is different and, unfortunately, it is a trial and error game.

I prefer wet/dry, and use Creamo. What you use is of paramount importance, and will be different for all based on preferences. This razor shaves exactly like my ES-LV81. Only difference is the cleaning/charging base, so not interchangeable. But, here is a benefit. No silly proprietary cleaning cartridges! Yay! Now, I can use the Panasonic or norelco solution—ingredients the same.

Replacement foil/blades for Panasonic around $55. Norelco $35. I found the Norelco blades to last about 6 months for me. My Panasonic foils have lasted around 9-12 months with the last razor. I think they're the same, so I would expect similar results.

I like the Panasonic shaver on the flats of my cheeks and neck, and that little spot right up under my nose. The Norelco outperforms on my Adam's apple and around the jawline. Otherwise, it's a wash. Panasonic much louder than Norelco if it matters. My wife would sleep through my Norelco shaves in the early AM. Not so much the Panasonic. Also, given the baseline noise, don't plan on using the cleaning cycle while you want to sleep either.

Durability? Both poor. Expect these to last about the duration of the warranty. My last Panasonic, 2 years and a day. The cleaning system about a year and a half. Norelco 2 years (with one replacement under warranty) and the cleaning system died at about 1.75 years. I could've replaced the Norelco again, but just got fed up and needed a change. Looked at the Braun, but found replacement heads an issue with them so didn't buy.

You cannot go wrong buying any of these $200 razors. Just don't expect them to last forever. I bought the Asurion warranty this time, but who knows. I may get tired of this one and want to change again. Grass is always greener . . .
on April 3, 2014
I want to start out by saying that these are all 5 star electric shavers and I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. For what it's worth I'm a verified purchaser of each one. My face is used to both rotary and foil shavers, and I assure you I have tested each one for 30 days or more to their fullest potential.

Look and design:
The Braun is less flashy than the other two but still has all the great features. The hygiene meter at the bottom is really a nice touch for anyone who doesn't have the base, or does but wants to cut down on solution usage. It's very comfortable to hold and
maneuver around your face. The Norelco looks very sleek and has a very nice LCD with all the great features you could ask for. It also feels very natural in the hand and the 3D gimmick, isn't as gimmicky as I suspected. We'll go more into depth with that later on in shaving performance. Out of the three, the Panasonic is the oddest feeling. This new ES-LV95 is a lot more natural feeling in the hand compared to the slightly older ES-LV81. It's still a little top heavy but makes up for it with and amazing new feature I'll mention later on below.

Build quality:
While all three feel very solid and of high quality, the Braun really stands out. All are made out of plastic but the Braun's more matte finish personally feels more durable to me. The others by no means feel cheap though. They each have rubbery grips. The grips on the Braun and Panasonic feel more solid and rigid, while the Norelco's has a really nice silky feel to it. Each one has good sturdy weight and if had to predict any of them failing on me, I'm almost positive that in each case, it would be solely mechanical.

Cleaning:
All three shavers have great cleaning stations that combined with proper care, can result in a shaver that feels like new every time you use it. The cleaning solutions for each one are roughly the same price at around $5 each month. I can't fault either one but I feel like the Braun's is the best. It's fast, quiet, and adds a fresh smell to the shaver. When it comes to manual cleaning, it's a completely different story. The Norelco and Panasonic are extremely easy to clean manually with the Norelco being just a little easier. The Braun on the other hand is somewhat of an annoyance. The other two are is simple as holding under the faucet for about a minute and sometimes adding liquid soap. Since the Brauns head is all one piece, you really have to go deep in there with a brush, or hold it under the faucet much longer to give it that same clean. It's nothing that would make me say the cleaning system is a must like a lot of others do but it's a little extra work for sure.

Dry shaving:
Yup, it's what you've all been waiting for. After months of use between these three shavers I'm happy to say that they are all great! We'll start off with the Braun. It is without a doubt the most comfortable shave I've ever had. The Sonic technology really is more than just some fancy selling point. The way it glides over your face feels more like a massage than a shave. The OptiFoil catches every hair and cuts it below the skin, and the ActiveLift gets even the flattest hairs on your neck. This is without a doubt the most innovative shaver since the first electric and you have to respect that it really set the tone for modern day electric shaving. When you see the things Panasonic offers, it's easy to write the Braun off but you have to give it credit for being the first truly great electric shaver. Even four years into it's life it's arguably still the best shaver on the market. Just when you think it's about to finally meet it's match they come up with a way to make it even better. Now that there are models that support wet shaving, I can't think of any reason not to consider it.

Where the Braun has it's shortcomings the Norelco 3D really shines. The 3D heads(like the Braun's Sonic technology) is much more than just a gimmick. The ability to flex outwards helps give as close of a shave around the neck and jawline as you can get with an electric shaver at the moment. It's without a doubt my personal favorite of the three and my main shaver. In the dry shaving area the two foils do get closer on my cheeks, but the difference is very minimal and nothing you can really notice until a few hours later. All shave below the skin for a razor smooth feel but it just seems like the Norelco doesn't get as deep since the shadow comes back faster. It's also extremely quiet unlike the Braun and Panasonic which sound like chainsaws.

Then we have this brand new Panasonic which manages to be even better than the ES-LV81. It added the Sensor technology which can sense the length of stubble and adjust the speed specifically for each area it goes over. It results in getting an amazingly clean shave with just one or two passes. It doesn't feel as comfortable as the Braun but at the end of the day, what does? You can't really call it irritating either but you can tell you just got a good shave when you're done. The big head makes it hard to get around goatees and sideburns like the Norelco, it just takes time to get used to it. Overall I would say the dry shave is slightly better with the two foil shavers but not enough to persuade your opinion. With the end result being the same your choice is really between the comfort of the Braun, maneuverability of the Norelco, or speed of the Panasonic.

Wet shaving:
I'd go more in depth here but not much to say. The Braun and Panasonic give me the exact same shave when wet as they do dry but with a little more comfort. This is where the Norelco really shines though. The wet shave it does is on par with the Braun/Panasonic closeness but combined with amazing comfort and one of the best shaves I've ever had around my neck and jawline with any kind of blade.

At the end of the day all three are amazing shavers and neither is a wrong buy. You simply just have to weigh your options. I'll probably stick to my Norelco just cause I love rotaries but the Braun and Panasonic shaves are just as good...and even better in some areas. Whatever you choose, you won't regret it. Thank you for reading and enjoy your new shaver :)

Also, here's a link to the other two shavers I reviewed in case you're interested.

0Comment| 134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 17, 2016
I held off on reviewing this until I've been through the reccomended 30 days of using the razor. I am impressed with how well this guy shaves and my cheeks have never been so smooth. This does a great job of getting your skin smooth and not causing in grown hairs. I was using a DE razor before this and wet shaving but I have found I have less irritation and less breakouts after using the electric razor. I have acne prone skin and keeping my skin happy means less bumps overall.

The only reason I held off giving 5 stars is the razor sometimes just misses a random longer hair or two on my neck and I have to follow up with my safety razor to get it cut. A minor annoyance but given the price of this thing I would expect it to cleanly cut every hair I throw at it.

The cleaning unit is nice and running it through the cleaning cycle does leave the razor like new - and it smells good afterward too. I haven't been able to find the refills for the cleaning solution reasonably priced and Panasonic seems to be out on their web site too.
on April 4, 2016
For all of my shaving life I have always used Braun shavers. When it was time for a new shaver I was torn between getting the new Braun series 9095 or trying a different brand. I ended up trying both the braun and pansonic shavers For the most part, this panasonic shaver gives me the closest shave I have ever had using an electric shaver. The reason I did not give it 5 stars is that it doesn't do a great job on the neck area. I'd often times see some stray hairs on my neck even when shaving over them several times, more so than any other shaver I have used. Other than the neck area, the shaver does cut incredibly close. I also love shaving in the shower with gel, makes my skin feel even more smooth.

Now for my comparison to the Braun 9095. While Braun advertises their shaver as a wet/dry shaver, it clearly states in their instruction to NOT use shaving cream or gel. I called Braun about this, and indeed the instruction manual was correct. The person told me that left over gel/cream on the shaver can ruin the automatic cleaner and void the warranty. I thought this was disappointing for an expensive wet/dry shaver. You don't have to worry about this with the panasonic, in fact it even says to treat yourself with gel/cream wet shave. As for the actual shave itself the panasonic shaved closer than the Braun did. The Braun did do a better job in the neck area, but for overall closeness, the panasonic wins out.

Overall I am very pleased with the panasonic shaver and happy that I changed brands after using Braun for several years. If it only did a little bit better job of cutting in the neck area I would definitely have given it 5 stars. Instead I give it a 4.5/5
on September 4, 2017
I used a number of Braun shavers over the last 25 years. A few years ago, I switched to Panasonic but went back to Braun after the cleaner broke in less than 2 years due to, in my opinion, bad design. Unfortunately, I was not impressed by the series 7 I bought. Braun used to shave very close but it wasn't the case with this unit.
So after using the series 7 for a few years, I saw Panasonic redesign their cleaner and decided to give another try. So far I have been very happy with it. This unit actually shaves very close and reminds me of Braun 25 years ago. But if you have sensitive skin, Braun may be a better choice.
One thing I noticed was that Arc5 seems to take more time shaving than Arc3 from a few years ago. Slightly softer on skin though.
on March 12, 2017
I have been shaving with a Braun shaver since 2003. My last Braun was the top of the line Braun but it really wasn't what I loved about my previous two Braun shavers. This Panasonic was highly recommended on many rating sites including from other Braun users like me. The Panasonic is as a great shaver with a large shaving head so the time I spend shaving is greatly reduced and it provides a great shave.
on July 25, 2017
WOW that really how I feel. Got it today. Didn't shave my face or head for a couple of days.
I am very impressed with the results. This is the best shave I ever had with an electric Razor.
Everybody claims they are the best so I researched it on different sites.
Was hoping that I made the right choices. In the end it was between the Braun and this one.
I shave my neck and my head (I have a beard). I used the skull shaver and it did a lousy job.
Had to use my Norelco for finish and it still wasn't as good as what this Panasonic can do.
I love this Razor and I give it a WOW