Oil month Automotive HPC World Book Day Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on July 29, 2013
I've had the camera for nearly 2 weeks now. I purchased the HDC-TM300 way back in Feb 2010, and used it frequently; so, this was a significant upgrade for me. The performance of the camera is exceptional for a prosumer camcorder. I am an avid videographer who probably spends most of the time taking family videos, but also for anything that I might want to do that's more on the amatuer side of filmmaking such as thunderstorm lightning videography, nature, short guerilla documentaries, etc.

I also purchased the following, which arrived with the camera:

1)Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Charger for Panasonic VW-VBN260 and Panasonic HC-X800, HC-X900, HC-X900M, HC-X910, HC-X920, HC-X920M, HDC-HS900, HDC-SD800, HDC-SD900, HDC-TM900 (2800mAh)

2)SanDisk Extreme 64 GB SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 45MB/s SDSDX-064G-X46

You'll want the extra batteries, as well as an independent charger so that you don't have to charge on the camera. One thing nice about the Wasabi charger, is that it comes with both your standard AC outlet plug as well as a DC car charger connection.

PROS:
1. Incredible video! In normal light, this thing is simply amazing for the price. I paid less for this with the accessories above than I did for the TM300.
2. 1080 60p - this combined with the video performance is why someone would upgrade from a TM300. It's just simply amazing the detail you'll see when replaying the video versus what you see while recording, such as a fly taking off or just cleaning itself. There's really no reason that I can find why I'd ever take it out of this setting.
3. Low Light - much, much better than the TM300! If you're doing something like lightning videography, you'll want to use the autofocus, zoom in on a distance object using x12 or x40 and then set the camera to manual focus.
4. Can be recording within about 3 seconds of flipping open the viewfinder
5. Better camera-to-pc transfer software.
6. Manual controls. Sure, they are slightly different, but you can easily access them by just hitting the small physical "Camera Function" button on the side near the lens as seen in the pic, versus using the touchscreen for everything.

CONS:
Viewfinder and LCD don't work at the same time. My kids love looking at themselves in the LCD while recording. On the TM300, I could use both the viewfinder and LCD screen at the same time. Apparently, that option is not available in the x920. I would just use the viewfinder to keep them in frame so as not to have to look in front of the camera and potentially get into the shot.

I've messed with most other settings on this camera; especially, in manual.

Haven't used:
-WI-FI

General Review:
For those complaining about the manual controls or autocontrols, it's more important to know when and how to use them then to throw up a bunch of videos that show the camera not being used correctly, and then expecting some miraculous behavior from auto-settings.

Both manual and auto controls work very well. It's like any other camera outside of the $200 range; If you want to learn to really take advantage of the full capabilities, you'll need to mess around with the settings and actually practice using them in the right scenarios.

I often use manual white balance controls instead of the auto, because it's so quick that it will adjust to lighting in a room if I go from panning at something with light in the room, past a window, to a different light source in a different room.

I was initially contemplating the idea of getting a GH3, but the ol budget wouldn't allow for it at this time. I hadn't even looked into this camera until about 2 weeks before purchasing. I'm really glad I purchased this camera.

UPDATE: 5/22/14 - Use this camera regularly. Have not ran into any significant problems. I still mostly run and gun in full auto for family vids. I always keep one battery on the charger and one on the camera. Battery life is between 1.5-2 hours still. I've since picked up two of the Dolica ST-500 68-Inch Lightweight Tripods that you can find on amazon at $24.99. I keep one in the house and one in the car. I would still highly recommend this camera for anyone upgrading from something like a TM300. Great upgrade. The detail in the video is quite amazing. Stability is much better than TM300.
44 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 24, 2013
I bought this camcorder based on many reviews online. I compared X920 and G20 back and forth, and finally chose X920 for 1080p/60 and 5.1ch audio (of course the Leica lens since I have LX5 camera and had FZ40 for a while).

I took it with me for my family vacation early this month, I shot a lot of short footage, the picture looks amazing on my 60" HDTV screen! Other reviews already listed many pros and cons, so I won't repeat here. And I'm still pretty new to this camcorder, so all I can tell is from my vacation experience.

1. AWB worked well most of time, but sometimes it took a while to set the right WB. I used IA mode most of the time since I didn't have much time to set up manual mode;

2. When shooting for a long time, it got warm event hot near SD compartment (I think it's caused by writing to the card, of course hot weather is another factor) especially when I used viewfinder for a long time (I think when LCD is closed the fan is blocked). The viewfinder is decent, very helpful for outside shooting under the sun or when it's not convenient to open the LCD. One problem I had with viewfinder pulled out was that I kept forgetting it's on, so I accidentally hit the record button, it started recording! I had a couple of footage got nothing but my walking steps...

3. Still picture only saves JPEG format, the IQ is ok, but it's VERY slow to write a file (a couple of seconds), and while it's writing you cannot take another one! I simply gave up, and used my LX5 when I needed (I'm glad I took my LX5 with me for backup).

4. There are three mode for audio, 5.1ch, Zoom and Focus. 5.1ch records everything, so the audio for outside is very noisy; Zoom and Focus mode are much quieter, you can tell instantly when you put on headphone when recording.

5. Battery life varies, I bought Wasabi VW-VBN260 package that comes with two big batteries and charger. I used two big batteries first, usually enough for one day shooting, the 130 one come with the camcorder is just a backup (I only needed once for the whole trip).

6. The camcorder is good quality, made in Japan, you can count on that. It feels right in my hand, pretty light, well balanced.

7. I didn't get much chance to explore the manual mode, I might update this part later.
UPDATE: Manual focus with Focus Peaking is very accurate, I tried to shoot a dragonfly yesterday, AF simply didn't work, so I switched to MF, nice result, only the dragonfly got focus, background blured out nicely, nice bokeh!

8. I tried WiFi feature once at home, pretty cool, but it's not practical to use on vacation.

Anyway, I'm very happy with this purchase, I hope it will serve me well for some years down the road.
on November 24, 2013
That turned out to be the great camera - all expectations are met.

It's light, powerful, convenient.

The battery included lasted about 1:15h - 1:20h as expected,
so I bought the additional battery of the same size (130 one) from Amazon -
much cheaper than from Panasonic or any other shop :)

Also bought a separate charger from the third party - it has both car adapter and can be plugged directly into the wall
and has European adapter - all for $6.99 plus shipping (decided against genuine Panasonic one, as overpriced).

The battery - that's the other matter - you don't want to end up with substandard product.

I decided also against the 260 battery as the overprized with protruding size!

Unfortunately camera does not come with the separate charger
you have to charge the battery plugged into camera and camera plugged to the wall.
So extra battery and extra charger is a must, especially if you travel.

First impression:

1. Camera starts almost instantaneously - that's a PLUS
2. The power On/Off button is behind closed LCD screen, so you have to open it - even if you do not intend
to use it while filming - that's a MINUS
3. Viewfinder has a very narrow eye sight piece, so I barely used it, you have constantly adjust the camera position
in order not to lose the target - that's a MINUS
4. Large LCD screen is so bright that you technically do not need viewfinder even on the bright sunny day - that's a PLUS
5. Sound quality - have to evaluate again - tried to record a concert rehearsal in the very good acoustically hall (at least a heard
all the sounds very well and clear, but not happy with the results camera provided - not sure (is it a MINUS?)
6. Picture quality is exceptional - that's a HUGE PLUS.
on April 10, 2016
I purchased this camera about two years ago and even now (2016) the only camera that comes close in its range is the Sony CX900, which was released last year I believe. Sony just made a 1.0 inch CMOS sensor for this camera, which is what makes it stand out above all, but this Panasonic camera has 3 (three) large sensors (one for each color)! Every other feature is basically the same on both cameras. Sony has a slight advantage on really low-lighting conditions but that's only if you're shooting near professional quality videos. I hate Canons so I won't even mention them in this review, although some experts do throw a Canon model in the fray. The jury is divided between this and the Sony CX900, but at $1,300 for the Sony, I believe the choice is obvious!!
on May 4, 2014
I'm a Private Investigator and we succeed and fail on the equipment we use especially the camcorder. Certain things I really needed in a camera for my job: View finder, great low light, Wi-Fi, good zoom, pre-record just to name a few. View finder works PERFECT when you can't afford to light your face up when filming at night. The screen is also programmable to where you can dim the light which is great as well. The low light is incredible. You have many different ways in utilizing low light so you have to play with it to see what works great in the different environments you get into. Wi-Fi works great also. I can set up my camera and then walk away utilizing my phone or tablet. Again a great feature that will continue to get better with future updates. The zoom is great and added with the INCREDIABLE stabilization technology in this camera its perfect. Lots of times I'm having to move while filming and courts don't like to see shaky video. The pre-record is a huge benefit and works perfect. For investigators it's essential in my book. We can't afford to miss a shot and you may never get another chance. I tried this the other day for the first time and I was amazed. It also can keep you from having to deal with tons of video footage and waste battery life recording because you can't afford to miss the shot. No matter what camera you use having to press the record button there will always be a slight delay. I was able to shut off most lights, such as the record light etc. without having to tape up my camera. Only issue that can be annoying is going through the settings on the camera. When you are setting it up it could be more user friendly. I'm not a professional cameraman so I went online to YouTube and seen lots of great tutorials setting up this camera. SO if your a PI this camera is overall the best one on the market. You might find certain elements that are bettering in different models etc. to get it all in one camera this is the one for you!
This is my second personal 900 series Panasonic camera in the last year only because my hc-x900 was stolen a few months back. At work I have a TM-900 so I have had access to the last 3 models of this camera. I shoot in all sorts of conditions from the beach in Hawaii to indoors. Whether the videos are for youtube channels or for sales trianing the videos always come out nice.

I opted to buy extra batteries and if you are going to shoot tons of video they will come in handy. I have used both the Wasabi Power and Panasonic batteries and they both work well.

The only thing that I wish Panasonic would consider is the location for the SD card. Most tripod mounts do not allow changing of the card while mounted to the camera. The old TM 900 had the access by the viewing screen and the hc-x920 has it located on the underside of the camera.

9-28-15
I have used this camera a bunch over the last year and have to say I love it. The old x900 had a wireless remote which I wish they would have kept instead of trying to use a cell phone.

By the way I dropped a 256gb sd card into this camera tonight and it recorded perfectly. That means a 128gb sd card would work as well.
on September 8, 2013
I have been looking for a good quality HD video camera that has a viewfinder for some time. I don't know why this is a vanishing feature. Using a LCD screen in sunlight is a losing battle. This mode also helps to keep the camera steady. The Good: It has fantastic imaging. Very sharp and vivid. Works great in low light but noise does increase a bit. Good color rendition. Mic is good and sensitive but rejects ambient noise well too. It gets more directional as you zoom in. Has external mic and headphone jack too. It comes with all the cables and accessory shoe. Image stabilization is excellent in both video and stills. You can take a full resolution still while shooting video. If you have a smart phone or iPad, you can use the Wi-Fi feature to use with a remote control app. It sends video and audio to the phone or pad as well as full control of the zoom and record.
The Bad: Not too much really. The WiFi is not always consistant. It drops out too often, even when near the camera. The remote aspect is a great concept but it is not totally reliable in practice. It's use also sucks current from the battery. The viewfinder turns off when the LCD screen is open. What makes this bad is the fact that most of the control is through the LCD touch screen. When you shoot using the viewfinder, you don't have a lot of access to the camera menus. You have to set everything before hand on the LCD then shoot with the viewfinder. Also, with the LCD door closed, it blocks the cooling fan and the camera gets hot while shooting. It never shut down but camera got toasty to hold. The supplied battery is puny but this is nothing new with consumer products. Not deal breakers but these are weak points on an otherwise great camera. BTW it takes really good stills too. I'm not unhappy with my purchase.
22 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 9, 2014
I love this camcorder. I'm perfectly happy with it and it's well worth the price. Touch screen is super handy, the ability to connect to my phone is awesome. Surround sound is neat and works OK - creates a little bit of a surround effect but not movie theater quality of course. make sure you use software that can render it with surround sound, of course.

I've seen the videos of the auto white balance problems but it hasn't really hindered me. The few semi professional events I've filmed, I am there setting up early taking test shots so the white balance has more than enough time to adjust. And for quick home videos, the problem has been slight enough that it's not really a big deal. For a thousand bucks, should it be closer to perfect? Yes. But in reality it's a small problem. Just don't whip the camera around a ton the first few seconds of filming and it will catch up.

When filming for a long period of time, it does get quite warm but the operation has never suffered (and the events I film are 2 to 2.5 hours long).

Some people mention the cheap plastic feel. It is made with a very light plastic but it doesn't feel cheap. Nothing is loose and everything works smoothly. Will it break if you drop it? Probably. But you shouldn't drop a thousand dollar camera (that's my opinion anyway).

I sometimes wish it was bigger and heavier because it looks kind of silly on my big tripod. From a distance, it looks like some small, cheap camera on my tripod but then when people see the awesome video, they know it's the real deal.

Final note, don't bother with the auto video leveling feature. It's neat but more of a gimmick. Instead turn on the on-screen leveling guides and just pay attention to what you're doing.
22 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 19, 2017
I've had this video camera for three years and it work great. I use it a lot and produce videos that I edit all the time. I love its size. Since much of my video is wild life it is great that it is small and easy to carry. There is one issue that is a little frustrating and that is the eye piece adjustment dial will get moved when you pull out and push in the eye piece requiring you to reset it a lot. Outside of that it is a great video camera and takes beautiful 1920 X 1080 video and you can shoot at that resolution in 60 frames a second for improved slow motion when editing if desired. I just wish it had MORE optical zoom for wild life shooting.
on February 13, 2017
Have had this X-920 for 3 years and it's been working great. Had an issue with the camcorder in the 1st year and Panasonic fixed it. The camcorder one day basically wouldn't turn on correctly. It powered up but didn't go into record mode or play mode. Thankfully it went down under warranty. It did take about 2 months to get back. The final video quality is good HD and I think worth the money. It easily loads into my Macbook with Final Cut 7 and I use "log and transfer" in Final Cut to convert the files from the Panasonic form to the Final Cut form. I do wonder if there's another company or another way to purchase an item like this and not have to go through a lengthy warranty process if it goes down. Like maybe an extended warranty where if it takes longer than 2 weeks you get a new or refurbished one...