Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Panasonic RF-2400 AM / FM Radio, Silver
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on February 28, 2006
Its not often manufacturers get simple things right, but this is one of them. The RF-2400 is a basic FM/AM radio with no extras. It has a big heavy speaker with a great tone and none of that high frequency tizz that others mistake for quality. Its not obvious in the picture, but the design is exceptional - it is just pure well thought out functionality that looks good and sounds better.
0Comment| 230 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2007
I have an elderly mother who is blind and has Parkinson's. The big knob on this radio is a Godsend. She can easily tune and control the volume. I have hunted for a radio like this for months, and she is very happy. If the sound was just a little better, I would give it 5 stars; although, she is happy as a clam, and the price is great.
0Comment| 124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2012
I bought this for my 72 year old mother in Kansas who wanted a radio that was not digital. She is what I would describe as a "luddite"- she rejects any technology after 1970. She has no cell phone, no computer, not even an answering machine on her home phone. Kinda funny. Anyway, she loves this radio! She gets to listen to her christian stations and I guess it even came with some free offer. Nothing better than making your mom happy. And a great price. She said it was BEAUTIFUL.
UPDATE: My mother LOVES this radio so much she sleeps with it next to her in her bed. Finally, I make my mom proud. :)
44 comments| 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 6, 2007
A nice little radio. Good sound for the price. I like the easy-to-read station indicator.
on November 1, 2007
I bought this radio for an elderly person, and it was just what she needed - a simple AM/FM radio with large knobs - no CD or tape player - just a radio that she could work. It is an excellent product for the elderly.
on May 6, 2007
I got this radio for on the job use outside. Good volume with the 4" speaker and holds the stations well. Stands steady and good reception. I needed the battery operation and have found the life of them good for days of use. I use rechargable ones. Just the radio I needed and it's as good as I had hoped it would be.
on July 3, 2006
I purchased this radio to use in my garage/workshop. Reception is good, sound quality very good for a small portable radio.
on August 11, 2015
I've had my radio for less than 24 hours so I cannot speak about durability. But I LOVE it so far! I'm 70 yrs young and I spend my days gardening in my big yard April to October. I like to listen to NPR or oldies music while I work. Dragging around a 100-ft extension cord has been tiresome during the last year.

My similar, 28-yr-old battery-operated radio (paid $8 new) finally died last year. I've been looking for a replacement. I wanted a SIMPLE radio that could run on AA rechargeable batteries so I could always have a spare set charged. I wanted a large dial display, with a large tuning knob (NOT tiny buttons that take forever to tune and hurt my fingers) and a volume wheel (instead of those nasty little buttons). I wanted analog. I did not want Bluetooth, alarms, CD player, etc. Just an old-fashioned portable radio I could carry around—larger than an iPhone (so I can set it on the ground) yet lightweight, with a large handle, good, large speaker .This Panasonic RF-2400 is perfect. It's exactly what I wanted. I called Panasonic to ask a question and they have not made this radio since 2001 but told me there's no reason why Amazon's stock would not be good. IF you bought this radio and love it, you might want to buy another while Amazon still has stock.

When I googled battery-operated portable radio, all the links were for boom boxes with CD players, Smart Phone chargers, Bluetooth and other things I don't need. Also, most of these radios had permanent, built-in batteries. If the battery ran out of juice, you'd have to plug it into a wall outlet and wait hours for it to recharge. So much for progress in the portable radio business. Other "portable" radios were solar and crank powered. The batteries on most didn't store the energy and died after 1-2 hours.

I paid $110 + tax for a portable Sangean radio with both solar and internal rechargeable battery. It was also supposed to be a great weather band, short wave radio. Charger was missing. NEVER received anything but static from the short wave mode. Never got a weather band station, and the battery died after 1 hour. Seller never responded to my requests to return it. I also bought a little crank & solar radio, an Ambient Weather Adventurer radio. Piece of junk. Ran less than one hour and wouldn't recharge. That was an expensive piece of junk, too $83 plus tax. Unresponsive seller.

My Panasonic has great sound--very clear and strong. I live in the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains, about a mile from a small airport. This radio does not get any interference from either airport or mountains. It pulls in stations that are 70-100 miles away for more. LOVE it! I hope it continues to work this well for many years.
For the price, the Panasonic 2400 is worth it, that is, if you have no special reception needs. The AM/FM sensitivity is fair and adequate, not great. Separation of stations is only fair so if you have a lot of competing AM stations you may not like this radio and may want to buy, for seventy dollars more, the Grundig S350. But if your AM station is strong and doesn't have interference, you'll probably be happy with the 2400. Its best feature is its speaker, three inches big and superior to the speaker on my 79-dollar Sony SW35. For someone who is a bit of a fanatic about radios like myself, I cannot recommend the 2400. With its weak separation, I just cannot warm up to it. I would rather spend more money on the aforementioned Grundig S35. But at the 35-dollar price point, I think the best radio, featuring digital reception and presets, would be the Sony ICF-M410V. You'll have to pay another fifteen for the AC adaptor, for a total of fifty bucks, but it's well worth it for an "every day" radio.
88 comments| 111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 26, 2015
I am a radio collector and audiophile. I have many types of radios of various types. I needed a simple radio that provided good performance and portability. The RF-2400 exceeded all my expectations. My favorite radio station is AM and is located 40 miles from my rural location. The previous radio I used; that provided me with satisfactory performance, is very large and bulky. The RF-2400 is small and compact, but provides performance equal to the larger radio. I am listening in an outdoor environment; primarily while I am gardening. The RF-2400 radio's strong audio output, covers a large area while I am gardening. The RF-2400 also provides surprising fidelity. The sound quality is reminiscent of the audio I hear from a tube type table radio. I am thrilled by the performance of this compact portable and its extremely modest price.