Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 633 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 692 reviews
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 30, 2016
I purchased this as an emergency radio for when the power is out. I live in a sparsely populated mountain area. Stations are not plenteous. I was able to receive the specific AM station I desired as well as quite a few FM stations. I would not call this radio adequate for an audiofile. However, it is perfectly adequate to obtain weather or news alerts.

It comes with an ear plug. There is space in the box it comes in to store 2 AA batteries - which is what it takes. This means I can store the batteries with it but not inside it where they can do damage over time.

No fancy gizmo's to fumble with in the dark. AM/FM switch, volume control knob and a tuning knob. That is it.

If all you want from a radio is the ability to tune into a radio station to find out what is going on - this radio is perfect for that.
on June 12, 2016
I've had the radio for 3 years now and really like it for what I use it for, and that is listening to the Royals & K-State games. I also occasionally listen to NPR on it, but it doesn't get much use for music. The speaker works well enough for talk radio or sports broadcasts, but doesn't offer much bottom end. Batteries seem to last forever in it. I've dropped it a few times and it continues to work fine. The three improvements I would suggest to Panasonic are, in order of importance: provide a belt clip (the loop is useful, but the radio must be put in a pocket for hands-free use while mowing/walking the dog), shift ear phone jack to either the top or bottom (might be less of an issue if a belt clip were provided), and modify it so the earphone output is at least dual-mono. As it is, only one ear phone receives the output.

For the price and my intended use, it's a great option.
on January 17, 2017
I mean, it's a radio, not a supercomputer. It does what radios do.
review image
on February 16, 2008
I recently purchased the Panasonic RF-P50 because I was in need of a portable radio that has a built in speaker. I have discovered that this is hard to come by in a brick and mortar store. So I did a little search on Amazon.com and came across this product.

I also own its direct competitor - the Sony ICF-S10MK2.

The Panasonic radio is great because I can carry it around anywhere and always have music with me where ever I go. I especially like to use it in hotel rooms when I go on trips, but it's also nice to have in order to listen to music in all of the rooms of my apartment.

The Panasonic RF-P50 has a telescoping antenna which can be swiveled back and forth, and on/off/volume switch, band selector, and tuning dial. The speaker measures at 2 and a half inches.

I live in a basement apartment, so it is not always easy to get a fantastic signal. I have discovered that this radio pulls in all the major FM stations quite easily - although sometimes I have to fiddle with the tuning and antenna to get a good reception.

The few local AM stations can be pulled in as well.

The appearance of this radio is quite nice. It appears that Panasonic has taken some time into building a radio that is pleasing to the eye. It's a pocket radio with a nice contemporary look. The radio frequencies are listed on the unit quite clearly - much bigger than what I've seen on similar units from other companies. Also the tuning light, which lets you know when you've locked on to a strong station just right, is bright and easy to see.

This Panasonic pocket radio comes with a wrist strap. This is one of my only gripes. I wish it came with both a wrist strap and a belt clip. Another nice feature that would make this radio better is if one could remove both the wrist strap and belt clip.

How does it sound? Keep in mind, it's a pocket radio, you're not going to get huge sound as you would with a stereo system. However, for its tiny size, the speaker sounds surprisingly good. The sound quality sounds clear, but not too tinny. I've ehard models with much harsher sound. Also don't expect glass shattering bass, you won't find it here. But as I said, for its size, it has a pleasant sound.

In comparing this model to the Sony competitor, I notice a few things.

1. I like the appearance of the Panasonic model over the Sony model. I just feel that the Panasonic model looks nicer.

2. In terms of when I'm holding both radios in my hands, the Sony model seems to have a better build quality (harder plastic, less flimsy feel to the radio). However, I've had the Panasonic model for a while and have had no issues with its build quality. Of course, I'm very careful with my electronics, I don't abuse them.

3. Both models seem about equal in terms of receiving FM signal. Both models pull in the local stations quite easily. The Sony model seems to have a slight advantage in pulling in the slightly weaker stations but this could be due in part to the fact that its antenna is longer.

4. AM reception on the Sony is much better than the Panasonic. It seems to be able to pull in the stations with more clarity. But again, the Panasonic radio can pull in the strong local AM stations just fine.

5. To my ears, both of these models sound exactly the same. Sound quality of music/talk shows sound the same with both units.

NOTE: People should note that the headphone jack on both of these models are in mono only. This means that when you plug stereo headphones in either model, you'll only get sound in one side of the headphones. Please bear in mind that this does not mean the radio is broken. These units were designed this way.

The Bottom Line: I definitely consider the Panasonic RF-P50 a steal at ten bucks. It's a small sized radio that you can carry with you anywhere to listen to music, or get the latest news. Both the Sony and Panasonic models are what I consider to be excellent deals. I prefer the Panasonic over the Sony model though.

For most cases I'd recommend the Panasonic model. But if you're looking for slightly better build quality and better AM reception, then I'd recommend the Sony model. Of course get the Sony model if you prefer its appearance over the Panasonic model.
2323 comments| 372 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 22, 2016
Bought this for my husband so he can listen to the Chicago Cubs on ch. 670, since we cannot get it on tv. He loves it. From back in the day we had transistor radios and used a 9 volt battery, but this one used 2 AA batteries. Has one ear phone. It is pretty nice.
on October 1, 2016
I have had this little Panasonic radio for several days and so far I am pleased with the purchase. It reminds me of the little transistor radios I had as a kid, but I have to admit the sound quality is much better. It tunes easy with a thumb dial and holds the station in tune very well. It has very good reception and the receiver is sensitive enough to pull in all the stations in my surrounding area as good as my car and better than my expensive stereo receiver. The antenna works well, but like most radios of this type, would be susceptible to damage if carelessly twisted or yanked the wrong way, as it only folds down in one direction. Overall, it is an excellent little radio for the very reasonable $15 price. I would readily recommend this Panasonic RF-P50 radio.
on July 26, 2016
I Love these "Pocket" Radio's. I hate Ear Buds in my Ears, So I buy these. This Panasonic is MUCH BETTER than other brands. I have had about 10 of this same model. They last about 2 years, then the control knobs go bad and you need a new radio. BUT, $20 for 2 years worth of Great Radio Listening is a pretty good deal to me. Nothing Lasts Forever. Buy it, You'll Like It.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 29, 2015
Good radio at a good price. I have had literally dozens of these walkman-sized radios (the early ones even had casette players). The two brands that served me best were Sony and Panasonic - i still have an old panasonic that's 15 years old and it works fine except for the fact that the battery door broke. In any event this P50 is roughly equivalent to the Sony ICF S10MK2 (@ $16.49@ Amazon at this writing) which I also have. They are roughly equivalent. The Panasonic is ever-so-slightly smaller (e.g., 1/8" lengthwise, 1/16" widthwise) and has rounded edges, but both perform equally well for me. The performance is so similar that I would recommend basing purchasing decision on price alone. In fact that's what I am doing now that my Sony is suffering from normal wear and tear. Note that the earphone jack is MONO only.

I just noticed that Panasonic has discontinued this model (though Amazon still has some in inventory). So by the time you read this the P50 may no longer be available
on June 26, 2017
better than nothing but not much better. static-y, in-out of tuning - antenna makes little difference. bulkier than i expected. an inch thick. wrist strap gets in the way. if you use standard stereo headphones, sound in only one ear. a mono audio adapter fixes this, gives you both ears but not stereo, but who cares about split channels at this level? if you get the jack adapter (audio adapter), a right angle one will minimize the adapter protrusion from the side of the radio. i used to be a big fan of panasonic; now not so much. peace.
on April 18, 2017
I like this radio for what it is. Don't expect to enjoy listening to music through the small speaker. This radio is most useful as an emergency radio and maybe for talk radio or news where you need portability. The radio looks good and feels good in the hand. I think it works best for local and strong stations. I'm glad that I bought it.