Amazon Business Books with Buzz STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 STEM March Birthstone Shop Popular Services _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Paul McCartney Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 558 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 616 reviews
on February 16, 2008
I recently purchased the Panasonic RF-P50 because I was in need of a portable radio that has a built in speaker. I have discovered that this is hard to come by in a brick and mortar store. So I did a little search on Amazon.com and came across this product.

I also own its direct competitor - the Sony ICF-S10MK2.

The Panasonic radio is great because I can carry it around anywhere and always have music with me where ever I go. I especially like to use it in hotel rooms when I go on trips, but it's also nice to have in order to listen to music in all of the rooms of my apartment.

The Panasonic RF-P50 has a telescoping antenna which can be swiveled back and forth, and on/off/volume switch, band selector, and tuning dial. The speaker measures at 2 and a half inches.

I live in a basement apartment, so it is not always easy to get a fantastic signal. I have discovered that this radio pulls in all the major FM stations quite easily - although sometimes I have to fiddle with the tuning and antenna to get a good reception.

The few local AM stations can be pulled in as well.

The appearance of this radio is quite nice. It appears that Panasonic has taken some time into building a radio that is pleasing to the eye. It's a pocket radio with a nice contemporary look. The radio frequencies are listed on the unit quite clearly - much bigger than what I've seen on similar units from other companies. Also the tuning light, which lets you know when you've locked on to a strong station just right, is bright and easy to see.

This Panasonic pocket radio comes with a wrist strap. This is one of my only gripes. I wish it came with both a wrist strap and a belt clip. Another nice feature that would make this radio better is if one could remove both the wrist strap and belt clip.

How does it sound? Keep in mind, it's a pocket radio, you're not going to get huge sound as you would with a stereo system. However, for its tiny size, the speaker sounds surprisingly good. The sound quality sounds clear, but not too tinny. I've ehard models with much harsher sound. Also don't expect glass shattering bass, you won't find it here. But as I said, for its size, it has a pleasant sound.

In comparing this model to the Sony competitor, I notice a few things.

1. I like the appearance of the Panasonic model over the Sony model. I just feel that the Panasonic model looks nicer.

2. In terms of when I'm holding both radios in my hands, the Sony model seems to have a better build quality (harder plastic, less flimsy feel to the radio). However, I've had the Panasonic model for a while and have had no issues with its build quality. Of course, I'm very careful with my electronics, I don't abuse them.

3. Both models seem about equal in terms of receiving FM signal. Both models pull in the local stations quite easily. The Sony model seems to have a slight advantage in pulling in the slightly weaker stations but this could be due in part to the fact that its antenna is longer.

4. AM reception on the Sony is much better than the Panasonic. It seems to be able to pull in the stations with more clarity. But again, the Panasonic radio can pull in the strong local AM stations just fine.

5. To my ears, both of these models sound exactly the same. Sound quality of music/talk shows sound the same with both units.

NOTE: People should note that the headphone jack on both of these models are in mono only. This means that when you plug stereo headphones in either model, you'll only get sound in one side of the headphones. Please bear in mind that this does not mean the radio is broken. These units were designed this way.

The Bottom Line: I definitely consider the Panasonic RF-P50 a steal at ten bucks. It's a small sized radio that you can carry with you anywhere to listen to music, or get the latest news. Both the Sony and Panasonic models are what I consider to be excellent deals. I prefer the Panasonic over the Sony model though.

For most cases I'd recommend the Panasonic model. But if you're looking for slightly better build quality and better AM reception, then I'd recommend the Sony model. Of course get the Sony model if you prefer its appearance over the Panasonic model.
2424 comments| 362 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2002
I remembered transistor radios from when i was a kid and this one does not disappoint. Outside raking leaves on a Saturday evening, there's a game on the radio, there's nothing like it. Time seems to slow down and for a bit. . . life is simpler and happier than it had been. Or on a hot Saturday afternoon, my wife and I may sit out on the patio with some beverages, she'll read and I'll stare off into space while I listen to the gentle ebb and flow of the play by play of a local baseball game. This one has great sound and tunes in very well. Batteries are very long lived in it. And for the price? Can you beat it? Slow down once in a while and be transported to the Saturday afternoon you imagined you'd have when you were a kid. Forget about things for a while. When it comes to unwinding, this is your ticket to sanity.
77 comments| 183 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 30, 2016
I purchased this as an emergency radio for when the power is out. I live in a sparsely populated mountain area. Stations are not plenteous. I was able to receive the specific AM station I desired as well as quite a few FM stations. I would not call this radio adequate for an audiofile. However, it is perfectly adequate to obtain weather or news alerts.

It comes with an ear plug. There is space in the box it comes in to store 2 AA batteries - which is what it takes. This means I can store the batteries with it but not inside it where they can do damage over time.

No fancy gizmo's to fumble with in the dark. AM/FM switch, volume control knob and a tuning knob. That is it.

If all you want from a radio is the ability to tune into a radio station to find out what is going on - this radio is perfect for that.
on June 12, 2016
I've had the radio for 3 years now and really like it for what I use it for, and that is listening to the Royals & K-State games. I also occasionally listen to NPR on it, but it doesn't get much use for music. The speaker works well enough for talk radio or sports broadcasts, but doesn't offer much bottom end. Batteries seem to last forever in it. I've dropped it a few times and it continues to work fine. The three improvements I would suggest to Panasonic are, in order of importance: provide a belt clip (the loop is useful, but the radio must be put in a pocket for hands-free use while mowing/walking the dog), shift ear phone jack to either the top or bottom (might be less of an issue if a belt clip were provided), and modify it so the earphone output is at least dual-mono. As it is, only one ear phone receives the output.

For the price and my intended use, it's a great option.
on October 22, 2016
I bought this as a gift for my 8 yo nephew. When I was a kid, the name Panasonic stood for the best looking and performing radios that an average person could buy. Think RF-1060.
I didn't get to test the radio until my nephew's birthday party. I wasn't expecting anything like my early Panasonics, at this price, but I DID expect fairly decent reception and sound reproduction at the very least. I own Sony's ICF-S10mk2 which is about the same size. The Sony is a great old-fashioned pocket radio with excellent reception, build quality, and decent sound, especially for talk radio. By comparison, the Panasonic had awful sound especially for music, it felt flimsy, and reception was sub par but to be fair we were in Westchester, an hour north of NYC, and there are fewer stations. But even with strong FM stations, that speaker sounded tinny compared to the Sony. If it had been for me, I would've returned it, but my nephew seemed intrigued by such a low-tech device, in fact he had no idea what it was and his friends were like wow a radio?
America may never have developed the mythical "five-cent cigar," but in the Panasonic model RF-P50 pocket AM/FM radio, we have a darn nice little ten-buck radio. Nothing fancy, just an on-off wheel incorporating volume, another thumbwheel for tuning, a switch to go from AM to FM, and an earphone jack.

But this unit isn't some clone from the 1960s. It's much lighter and thinner than the brittle-shelled transistor radios of that era, and it tunes well. I was especially impressed by the fact that the little red tuning signal light below the speaker (indicating how well you've hit a station) works for the AM band as well as the FM. The sound was something of a revelation to me -- it must help that the speaker is practically the width of the radio itself!

Selectivity on FM seems very good, with the usual allowances for "ghosts" that allow extra-strong stations to come in at two or three different places. Reception is stronger and clearer than I had expected. Since this is not an all-digital unit, we are mercifully spared the "birdies" that sometimes trouble FM digital reception. I found AM clear and easily negotiable, too, especially using the red signal light mentioned above.

Naturally, this kind of very basic model can be distinguished by what it doesn't have -- NOAA bands, crank dynamo charger and the ability to accept stereo earphones among the missing. The unit will accept a mono earphone, which you must supply yourself. But really, what do you expect for this kind of money? Also, please note that the collapsible FM antenna swings out from the side of the unit, not up-and-down. I barely needed it for close-to-home stations, anyway.
on September 18, 2003
I have been looking around for some pocket radios to keep in the house in case of an emergency. I found some by other companies but were too expensive. The Panasonic is great! The reception is very clear on both am/fm. I didn't even need to put up the antenna. I bought 3 of these little babies, one for myself, one for my husband, and one for our 'Emergency Go Bag'.
11 comment| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 1, 2007
SUMMARY
It is a terrific "transistor" radio. Turn it on, dial in your station, enjoy memories of a simpler time---particularly these days when you can't set the time on a typical wristwatch without the manual which you lost three years ago. On/off/volume with plenty of volume if you want it. Great manual tuning---the radio won't "forget" your station when you change batteries. There is even a little red diode which helps tuning in exactly on your station. Two AA batteries seem to last forever.

TUNING AND RECEPTION
The manual tuning is straightforward and easy, albeit sometimes it is hard to exactly tune in a weak station near a strong one, in part because a slight touch of the dial changes the frequency. There are no presets---so, if you listen to several stations, write the frequences down on a label and stick it to the radio (and protect the label with clear tape). Just dial in the station you want. Reception is usually very good, even without the telescoping antenna (just leave it collapsed), but it is very much appreciated when you need it.

ON/OFF VOLUME
One of the particularly good features of the Panasonic is plenty of volume. You can place the radio anywhere in the room. I consider it to be a "shop and patio" radio.

SOUND QUALITY
The sound qualtiy is good, not great. This is a radio for listening to news, talk radio, or ball games, not classical music. Music is acceptable, particularly at modest volume. If you want to listen to music, buy an MP3 player with a built-in FM reciever and a good set of headphones---or a fancy Bose, etc for 20 times the price.

BATTERIES
The Panasonic uses two AA batteries which last forever. Honest---at least a month using the radio several hours per day---even with rechargeables. Nevertheless, having a set of 4 rechargeables means you are never out of batteries. Sanyo Eneloop 4 Pack AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargable Batteries w/ Charger

USING HEADPHONES
The headphone ("earphone" in transistor days) is mono, and no earphone is included mono or otherwise. Which means you have to plug in your (stereo) headphones---but then, you only get sound to your left ear, nothing to your right ear. Why? I've had mono voice recorders for years, which nevertheless had the proper socket for stereo headphones (you got mono, but to both ears, which was fine). If you want an AM radio to use with headphones, I suggest a Coby CX50---which is also mono, but to both ears. Coby CX50 Compact AM/FM Radio with Digital Display, silver

CARRYING IT AROUND
The Panasonic is nicely pocket-sized and slides easily in and out of shirt pockets. It's a bit large for pants pockets. The strap is rather useless, and can't be removed. There is no easy way to carry it on your belt. I've placed a strip of self-adheasive velco tape on the back, and mating velcro tape the several places I use it (e.g., in my shop and on my hammock)Velcro Sticky-Back Hook & Loop Fastener Roll In Dispenser Box, 3/4in X 15 Ft., Black (VEK90081)

OTHER FUNCTIONS
There are no other functions. If you want travel--alarm clock--radio, I again suggest a Coby CX50 Coby CX50 Compact AM/FM Radio with Digital Display, silver I happily use both radios.

> Click on “Stoney” just below the product title to see my other reviews, or leave a comment to ask a question.
on February 23, 2017
Sony, Sangean, and Panasonic are the top brands for affordable, consumer radios. Panasonic really came in last place in the pocket radio category between the 3. I had a Sony pocket radio until my daughter dropped it in the dog's water bowl. So I went shopping for a replacement for her. This was the cheapest of the 3 brands, and I can see why. Sensitivity (reception) is really lacking in this. At my house we have a handful of stations we listen to and all our radios can pull them in--except this one. Three of the stations we commonly listen to cannot be found on this radio. Sound quality is HORRIBLE!! This must have the cheapest paper speaker available in this small size. This may work for Talk/Sports but for music (which is what my daughter listens to). The tuning scale is spaced so that the FM band is cramped. I know the radio is small, but the Sony isn't set up like this. The Sony didn't sound great but you could clearly hear what was on. For an extra $3, I could get a better pocket radio. This one is getting returned. I'll spring for the new Sony or a Sangean.
on January 18, 2017
Cheap construction. Battery cover tends to come off and then bye-bye batteries. Returned! and got the Eton Mini Compact AM/FM/Shortwave Radio, for $10 more, but is a lot more durable.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.