Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Paper Towns
Format: Paperback|Change

on February 16, 2016
It was OK. The book was definitely like a roadtrip: You start the trip (the book) all excited, giddy, laugh at just about everything just because. As the ride gets going you're calm, look at all the sites, take everything in. Then after awhile you get bored, there is nothing worthwhile going on. No lights, no sites, outlets, no rest stops, just endless road (pages of non-sense).... Then you hit traffic (a lull)... And finally you're seeing signs again for your final destination, so you get excited again. But when you arrive, you find out that the location is not at all what you wanted it to be. Its ok, but nothing else. All that hype, all that anticipation to get let down.
on May 19, 2016
When a high school senior and his old friend he is in love with pull an all-nighter to carry out her revenge plot, she curiously goes missing the next day. The book Paper Towns is written by John Green, a popular young adult fiction novelist. In Paper Towns, Quentin (Q) and Margo Roth Spiegelman have been friends since they were young children, but Q and Margo haven’t talked in ages because they have drifted apart. This all changes one magical night when Margo summons Quinten by making a surprise appearance at his window at 3 A.M. She asks him to drive her around to undertake her revenge scheme. Margo mysteriously goes missing the following day, leaving Quinten up to find her. Quinten was lost and oblivious about what was going on, but he knew that whatever followed that night would be burned in his mind forever.
The book is aimed for teen readers and young adults who enjoy a mystery of love. Green did a superb job writing a teen novel that readers will devour page by page. Paper Towns is written in the perspective of Quentin Jacobsen and his journey to figure out the mystery of Margo Roth Spiegelman. Spunky and adventurous, Margo is an enigma. She goes missing yet again after she and Quentin begin to reconcile. Quentin has always admired Margo and has been drawn to her even more as they got closer together.
Paper Towns is a great teen novel that represents a mystery of young love, what it truly means to find it, and what it's like to lose it. In the reviewer’s opinion this book was a great read that any fiction lover would enjoy. John Green expressed emotions from the book that will hook the reader into reading more. Other novels that Green has written is Looking for Alaska and An Abundance of Katherines, but The Fault in Our Stars is his most prominent novel. Paper Towns tells a story of a mysterious girl, with a boy trying to find her.
on August 12, 2015
Breakdown of Rating

●Plot: 5/5
●Characters: 5/5 From serious to funny, eccentric to sensible, these characters are multi-faceted and well crafted.
●Theme: 4.8/5
●Flow: 5/5
●Originality: 5/5
●Book Cover: 4.5/5
●The Feels: 5/5 Had me laughing out loud throughout.
●Sex Factor: talk of it
●Ending: 4.8/5. Cliffhanger: No

Will I read more from this Author: Quite possibly. I read this book because I seen the trailer for it at the theater, and thought it looked good.

My Thoughts :

Margo Roth Spiegelman is an enigma, especially for Quentin. He is determined to figure out what happened to her and why. This is quite the adventure, from Quentin and Margo's night of craziness; all the way to that crazy non-stop roller coaster of a road-trip they take to find her. It's about that last year of high school and what it means to a person when they realize it's all about to come to an end. It is a coming of age story and a mystery rolled into one. It is heartfelt and hilariously funny.

It is all these things and more...and it made me smile.
on March 31, 2017
Great book! Couldn't put it down! Reminded me of Searching for Gold by M.P. Johnson. It had adventure, mystery, a love triangle, a real page turner that you won't be able to put down. I definitely recommend it too!

on November 12, 2014
Maybe I'm too old to read John Green books, but most likely he's just overrated. This is the second I've read and I am not impressed. I feel like he's trying too hard to write something deep and meaningful of which teenagers can relate. The dialogue is terrible and unrealistic and I felt no emotion for his characters. I hated the book because 1. I don't like his writing style. 2. honeybunnies (come on) 3. This technique was just so annoying and played more to the unrealistic dialogue.

I found this book extremely boring and the ending anticlimactic. I would not recommend it or this author to anyone.
on June 6, 2015
So, first Ill make a review without spoilers and the with them.
Review spoiler's free:
This is a fast read. You will be wondering all the time what happened to Margo, which will make you want to read more. The characters aren't well developed and, to my personal opinion, are quite flat. There were interesing metaphores that I think weren't exploded in the right way. I haven't read any other John Green's book but this semmed like a book written by a young man that COULD become a good writter. There is a lot of high school drama and the feeling of your life ending because you are almost done with school (interesting subject but not fully developed).

Review with spoilers:
I think the story was too short, to the point the author needed to put unecessary information like all the details of the road trip. Q is too self centered, to the point that it bothered me what a bad friend he was. And Margo, she was the flatest character of all. Its fine she was a troubled teen but come one, a teenager's life can be more complex than "I live a superficial life and I hate my parents". The author always played around deeper subjects but never got into them, like when Q's perents talk about Margo's parents. I thought the paper town and paper people were an awesome metaphore but, once again, the author never goes deep down on the interesting subjects. Why on earth would goody-two-shoes Q leave EVERYTHING for a childhood crush? I dont know, I think that what bothers me is that this story had potential but the author wasnt able to develope it correctly. For example, it would have been way better if Margo was actually dead and it changed Q for ever. At the end of the story I think all the characters end up being the same person they were at the begining, which bothers me deepley, why would a story be worth telling if at the end it is as not much changed in the characters life. If Q hadnt find Margo Im sure their life would have ended almost the same way.
on June 6, 2015
I am in awe of this book. What a beautiful story and the characters so layered. Margo Roth Spielgelman is one of the most interesting characters written about in a long time. John Green makes it easy for young readers to have a conversation about female stereotypes because the character admits outright that he has projected his own desires on Margo and she is someone who will not accept these projections. There is just enough literal discussion of this to be accessible to smart, but “beginner thinkers.” It’s obvious that Margo is most certainly mentally ill or eccentric and yet Quentin wants to “save” her. About 2/3 of the book is about Quentin trying to “find” someone who is obsessed with being found by someone worthy enough to search. Yet, she can’t be possessed in the typical sense. The journey and also the friendships Quentin shares are compelling, complex, and brilliant. The ending is most satisfying, but not cheesy or predictable. I am in awe of John Green as a writer who does not insult the intelligence of his young readers.
on September 14, 2015
I have always been materialistic throughout my life (Take one look at my Amazon Order Archive, and you would know what I mean). I always spent my money to buy things, because I had the belief that things are worth more than memories. After all you can physically have it in your hands, unlike the abstractness of memories. Recently I got a job offer in Asia and I decided to travel during the free time I had before the job started. As I traveled, I read this book on the plane rides. I realize how much I can relate to Q. During his trip he was able to find himself, and like him, during my trips I was able to understand myself better. I have sent each one of my two travel companions a copy of Paper Town in hopes that it could kindle (no pun intended) something inside of them. Remember, memories might be abstract, but it is more real than anything else.
on July 20, 2015
Well-defined characters are hard enough to do. Well-defined characters who will come across differently to everyone are much harder to write. Yet it is this kind of character that John Green nails in his YA mystery novel, Paper Towns.

To be clear, I am not a John Green groupie. While I enjoy his Youtube channel and went to go see The Fault in Our Stars shortly after reading it, I do not enjoy everything John Green writes. To be completely honest, The Fault in Our Stars and Paper Towns were the only things he has written that I actually like. So when I say Paper Towns is a truly unique book, I’m not just saying that because John Green wrote it.

The book follows Q, a nerdy highschool senior who dreams of even talking to his next-door neighbor, Margo Roth Spiegelman, his wild-child opposite who he has been crushing on since he was a kid. After a crazy night where she ropes him into a crazy revenge scheme, she disappears, leaving clues for Quentin to find.

First off, Green makes it clear that this is no love story. Thank goodness. This is a story about two people, one of which has a major attraction to the other. This is a story whose theme is that sometimes, we build other people up into things they aren’t, and that we shouldn;t get disappointed when they don’t live up to the standards we made for them in our head.

While Q was well-written and layered as a character, Margo was the character that the book was centered on, and will come off differently to different people. Some people may empathize with her need to get away. Others might understand what it is like to feel like you have the whole world figured out. Personally, I hated her. She was interesting, but I hated her. Why? Because she reminds me of actual people that I have met..and heavily disliked. She left clues, yet got mad when people dared follow her. She had this idea in her head that everywhere outside of the Orlando suburbs would be a magical places where no one had ideas of being normal and settling down with, and this is the kicker here, a job and a family. How dare they. Horrible, paper people. All of them normies.

Margo seemed to think that anyone who colored within the lines was pretty much a horrible person. That’s what bugged me. She let people in, letting them think she was friends with them, while secretly despising them because she believed that they were forcing her to make false personalities for each person. The fact I’m getting so angry writing about it proves how good this book is. I don’t identify at all with Margo, yet something about the way she is written strikes an angry chord in me because I have known, and been hurt by people like her. Even if you don’t relate to the characters in this book, you still get something out of it, and that quality is what makes a good book a great book.

The rest of the book focused on the development of Q, the mystery of where Margo vanished to, and the roadtrip. The weakness of the book was the mystery location of Margo-Green seemed to be more interested in his characters and where they were going-and it shows. I’m not sure if this was intentional or not, but Margo’s location was the least interesting part of the book for me. I just didn’t care.

On the other side, the roadtrip was fantastic. It was one of the most fun things I have ever read in a realistic fiction book. It was fun, sped up the momentum of the storyline, yet still carried the themes that had been apparent throughout the book. To be concise, the tonal shift from Q moping about Margo and the amigos going on a roadtrip wasn’t jarring, but uplifting. It felt natural. The confederate flag/black santa gag genuinely made me laugh, as did the bit with Ben insisting that he didn’t care about anyone else, just himself as he saved everyone from the cow fence..thing. Wreck. Whatever. Point is, it was great.

Overall, Paper Towns is a well-written coming of age novel. Tightly written with natural dialogue and peppered with nerdy antics that I can personally assure you actual nerds talk about, Paper Town’s main mystery isn’t Margo’s location, but ended up being the mystery of the real people behind the perceptions that we give each other.
on July 31, 2015
So I downloaded this book because the advertisement for it popped up on my Kindle; which then reminded me that I had recently seen a movie trailer for it. I realized once I started reading the Editorial Reviews that it was written by the same author of the The Fault in Our Stars. I honestly would never have put it together it was the same author until I read that... So that being said I decided to download it. Ok... fast forward to about 15 minutes into the book and I realized what my problem was going to be with the book (same problem I had with The Fault in Our Stars), I do not know of any teenagers who talk the way that John Green writes his teenagers. I understand that they are all of above average intellect but their vocabulary and speech patterns just do not flow right. If the character of Ben said the phrase, "honey bunnies" one more time I thought I was going to pull my hair out. But thankfully once he got a girlfriend that phrase miraculously dropped out of his vernacular. The lists that Q. keeps making and reiterating in his mind that he never discusses with anyone became really annoying too. They stopped for a while and then came back, they served almost no point. I get that Quentin was a very methodical person and that was part of his thought process but his lists were fairly repetitive and did not aid in the understanding of the scenario. I know it sounds like I did not like this book at all however, I did really enjoy it. I made it through some of the longer winded parts, and some of the annoying parts and came out at the end. The ending was not what I expected and I was glad. There was definitly a conclusion (although some may say this is not the case), and I thank John Green for that. I do not think it was the kind of ending that ties up every loose end but these kids were all graduating from HS so the ending was really a starting point for all of them. And that is what made it a good ending.