Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Nothing More GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 4,108 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,319 reviews
on August 22, 2014
I decided to read Paper Towns after enjoying The Fault in Our Stars. I was curious even though I am far removed from the YA category this novel falls into. Perhaps that is why Paper Towns never caught my interest. Quentin is a high school senior who has been fascinated by his neighbor Margo from age 9. She disappears! Her parents don't seem to care and neither do any of her friends, all of whom she has mistreated, including Quentin. Quentin searches for her without regard for his own comfort, sleep, senior prom, parties with friends and finally misses his graduation for the search. I won't ruin the plot but Margo is a cruel, self absorbed bore and I hope this fictional boy will get over her quickly and move on. I did.
on November 4, 2014
This was a really interesting book. I loved A Fault in Our Stars and Looking for Alaska, and this one is similar but still different enough to be very satisfying. It's more of a detective story, and I hope Green returns to those, as he's quite excellent at building suspense.

I liked the character development and the humour most of all. It was paced well, it was laugh-out-loud funny, and it had wonderful imagery. It's going to make a great teen movie, because it's got some of the beats but it's a lot smarter, too. As noted, it really breaks down the idea of a MPDG in a complex and clever way.I can't talk about it without spoilers, though.

The ending might not be for everyone. I won't spoil it, but I wish this book had a sequel. That's all I have to say.

I'd definitely recommend it to both old fans and people curious about Green's writing.
on October 26, 2015
Quentin Jacobsen joins his adventurous neighbor Margo Roth Spiegelman on a fantastic middle of the night mission to right some wrongs in her life. Quentin has obvious feeling for the elusive Margo, and their incredible night of break-ins and payback push Quentin far beyond his comfortable existence, and then the next day Margo disappears. The reminder of the book follows Quentin and his loyal friends as they try to find Margo. I really enjoyed the style of writing, and the characters were fun and likable. PaperTowns does a great job of exploring teenage angst, without feeling like it is dwelling in misery. The story was interesting, and I really wanted to know what happened to Margo, but the ending was disappointing, it felt very flat. Despite the weak ending, I would recommend Paper Towns.
on April 29, 2015
A teenager would be excited about this book, since it's about "finding oneself" and "coming of age" ideals and dreams. But once people move out of that season of their lives and realize that dreams are not reality, then this book isn't so good. Rather it's about a very spoiled self-centered young girl who enjoys making life hell for those people around her who thought she was their friend. The worse tho is the hero of the book who thinks he can save his friend and so he spends most of the book trying to do that but in the end realizes that the jokes on him. It's quite unpleasant. I don't understand why a movie is being made of this book. I think that that is happening because of the success of this author's other book which was made into a movie.
on May 31, 2014
I enjoyed The Fault in our Stars and Finding Alaska very much but I wasn't a huge fan of Paper Towns and found myself skipping many sections in the middle just to find out what happens. It was actually pretty anticlimactic and it is difficult to like Margo's character. Idk, I really enjoyed the other John Green novels-- but this one just didn't do it for me.

PS ***spoilers***
I disliked the fact that they went through all of these 'clues' which turned out to be pretty much fruitless to then all of a sudden find one entry online blatantly telling the reader where, and for how long Margo would be in one particular place. It made you feel like the clues were useless and without a purpose.
on December 12, 2016
Paper Towns CM
Paper Towns is a well-known, bestselling novel written by John Green. In this book, Quentin Jacobsen lives right next door to the adventurous, prettiest, most popular girl in school, Margo Roth Spiegelman. Q describes her, “...not a miracle. She was not an adventure. She was not a fine and precious thing. She was a girl.”(199). They were friends since they were ten years old, when the crush first sparked. After a devastating, surprising day they started growing apart. Fast forward and almost 2 more weeks left of senior year and Quentin still admires his neighbor, but this time from afar. After a fun filled, rebellious night with his spontaneous neighbor, it is a new day and Margo becomes a mystery, once again. Q searches everywhere for her unintended clues.
John Green is a well-known author for his wonderful, in-depth writing style. He, as some might know, even has videos online to help people understand concepts they might not get. In this book, John Green uses his creativity to design a relatable, entertaining story directed at young adult readers. He used some big words which helped broaden my vocabulary, too. The book was set up with chapters, but in 3 different parts: The Strings, The Grass, and, finally, The Vessel. Part 3 wasn’t just like the others, which he used eg. Chapter 23, but instead it was going by hours, eg. Hour Fifteen. It was bizarre at first, but I ended up appreciating the hours because they helped me connect better with that part in the book. As said before, he was very creative in the making of this book.
As I read the book, it seemed very long and carried on. As I kept reading, I realized John Green might have purposefully made it seem long to emphasize Quentin’s perspective and what he was going through, how he felt. In the end,I believe the book was overly acclaimed, but it did not live up to my expectations. The part 1 was definitely my favorite part.
The book is in my opinion was based to attract the younger generations, teens. Throughout the book I, also discovered many significant passages that I found to my liking. Quentin being the smart kid at his school seemed to use metaphors to describe Margo, as well as use powerful life lessons. For example in the book no one knew the true Margo, not even herself and how you have to go explore the world, to live just as Margo seems like that is what she wants to do.
on February 16, 2016
It was OK. The book was definitely like a roadtrip: You start the trip (the book) all excited, giddy, laugh at just about everything just because. As the ride gets going you're calm, look at all the sites, take everything in. Then after awhile you get bored, there is nothing worthwhile going on. No lights, no sites, outlets, no rest stops, just endless road (pages of non-sense).... Then you hit traffic (a lull)... And finally you're seeing signs again for your final destination, so you get excited again. But when you arrive, you find out that the location is not at all what you wanted it to be. Its ok, but nothing else. All that hype, all that anticipation to get let down.
on March 19, 2015
The phrase Paper Towns appears in the beginning of this book, and many times more afterwards, but I understood it completely only after I read the last page of the book. That's the first thing that went in my mind after reading this book.
Although I find this book really interesting and it really made me think with all of the metaphors- I couldn't exactly realize them. It's like the metaphors are one thing, the characters are another, and the story is way another. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this story way more than I expected, but there are way too many extravagant metaphors that I couldn't crack and would complete the story just right.
One last important thing, I hear John Green's readers say all the time " Why doesn't he like his characters and kills them?" But I think that those paper people who live in their paper towns with their paper friends see only the good endings and the obvious ones. But John Green writes in a 3D world where not everyone lives happily ever after and nothing is expected- and that's why we, with all of the disappointments, keep reading his work.
on August 6, 2015
I haven't seen the movie but since I really enjoyed both the book and movie of The Fault in Our Stars, I looked forward to reading this John Green story. It started badly for me with a Wimpy Kid sensibility that I couldn't really take seriously. However as it switched from outcast dork to action/adventure, the story really picked up. The next phase of the story, the journey of self discovery, was very well done, and I really enjoyed Q's process of unravelling the clues about his missing friend and his own view of the world. The end of the story (no spoilers) was definitely aimed at the YA reader. This is not a criticism, just an acknowledgment that from my perspective, I can not fully embrace the final conclusions.
on July 20, 2015
I originally bought this book due to my LOVE of the Fault In Our Stars, but this book cannot compare to the TFIOS for it sits on a much higher level of amazingness. Not only does this book explain the complicated to the tenth power idea that is teenage romance FLAWLESSLY like TFIOS did, but adds so much more to the mix. There is something for everyone in this book, do you like adventure? This book has you covered! Do you like romance? This book has got your back! Do you like mysteries? Then look no further! With every word that was typed into the beautifully crafted book, I could picture a clear-as-day image in my mind. From the gorgeous Margo Roth Spiegelman, to the immense size of Chuck Parson, to even the holy glory that is the beer can sword. This book does much more than just tell you the story of an adventurous lad, but it immerses you into the story, as if you were Quentin sitting for hours upon hours in a car, while your best friend sits in the back seat peeing into a beer can. I finished this masterpiece in a short 3 days and honestly, I was terribly sad when I finished it, as if Margo Roth Spiegelman, Quentin, Radar, Ben, and Lacey had left my life forever, but the truth is, they haven't. Even if I never re-read this genius-on-paper (which will most likely not happen) I will always have the elusive Margo Roth Spiegelman to thank for the amazing adventure that was the past three days, surely an adventure that I will never forget...

Despite the greatness of this book, in my opinion, it is not suited for children under the age of 13 for it has brief, but frequent, cussing, and often references things such as drinking and other things that should not be exposed to young children, but if you are willing to be exposed to these things, I would without-a-doubt recommend this book to any avid readers with an expanded vocabulary.

My final rating for this book, no... calling it a book would bring it great shame.., this masterpiece is a 100 out of ten. No other book can bring you into its world as brilliantly as "Paper Towns" does. No other book can compare to this, for just four dollars, I hope this book can steal your heart, just as it did mine...