Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Def Leppard All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon startrek startrek startrek  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

Paper Towns
Format: Paperback|Change

on January 17, 2018
Paper Towns by John Green tells the story of Quentin, otherwise known as Q. Q and his next door neighbor Margo used to be best friends and, as they’ve grown up and become high school seniors, they have turned into acquaintances. One night, Margo talks Q into helping her seek revenge on her ex-boyfriend and ex-best friend, who happen to be sneaking around behind her back to have sex together. After their fun and rowdy late night, Q is anxious to see if Margo acts differently towards him at school. When she’s not at school or even at home for a couple of days, everyone assumes Margo is on just another one of her adventures. As Q tries to figure out and follow the clues, he begins to worry that he might find Margo dead. The ongoing suspense along with the wonderfully executed humor have made this one of my favorite books from beginning to end. Dynamic, complex, real characters bring depth, realism and humor into this adventure of a story-5 Stars!
on August 12, 2015
Breakdown of Rating

●Plot: 5/5
●Characters: 5/5 From serious to funny, eccentric to sensible, these characters are multi-faceted and well crafted.
●Theme: 4.8/5
●Flow: 5/5
●Originality: 5/5
●Book Cover: 4.5/5
●The Feels: 5/5 Had me laughing out loud throughout.
●Sex Factor: talk of it
●Ending: 4.8/5. Cliffhanger: No

Will I read more from this Author: Quite possibly. I read this book because I seen the trailer for it at the theater, and thought it looked good.

My Thoughts :

Margo Roth Spiegelman is an enigma, especially for Quentin. He is determined to figure out what happened to her and why. This is quite the adventure, from Quentin and Margo's night of craziness; all the way to that crazy non-stop roller coaster of a road-trip they take to find her. It's about that last year of high school and what it means to a person when they realize it's all about to come to an end. It is a coming of age story and a mystery rolled into one. It is heartfelt and hilariously funny.

It is all these things and more...and it made me smile.
on March 31, 2017
Great book! Couldn't put it down! Reminded me of Searching for Gold by M.P. Johnson. It had adventure, mystery, a love triangle, a real page turner that you won't be able to put down. I definitely recommend it too!

on June 6, 2015
I am in awe of this book. What a beautiful story and the characters so layered. Margo Roth Spielgelman is one of the most interesting characters written about in a long time. John Green makes it easy for young readers to have a conversation about female stereotypes because the character admits outright that he has projected his own desires on Margo and she is someone who will not accept these projections. There is just enough literal discussion of this to be accessible to smart, but “beginner thinkers.” It’s obvious that Margo is most certainly mentally ill or eccentric and yet Quentin wants to “save” her. About 2/3 of the book is about Quentin trying to “find” someone who is obsessed with being found by someone worthy enough to search. Yet, she can’t be possessed in the typical sense. The journey and also the friendships Quentin shares are compelling, complex, and brilliant. The ending is most satisfying, but not cheesy or predictable. I am in awe of John Green as a writer who does not insult the intelligence of his young readers.
on September 14, 2015
I have always been materialistic throughout my life (Take one look at my Amazon Order Archive, and you would know what I mean). I always spent my money to buy things, because I had the belief that things are worth more than memories. After all you can physically have it in your hands, unlike the abstractness of memories. Recently I got a job offer in Asia and I decided to travel during the free time I had before the job started. As I traveled, I read this book on the plane rides. I realize how much I can relate to Q. During his trip he was able to find himself, and like him, during my trips I was able to understand myself better. I have sent each one of my two travel companions a copy of Paper Town in hopes that it could kindle (no pun intended) something inside of them. Remember, memories might be abstract, but it is more real than anything else.
on July 31, 2015
So I downloaded this book because the advertisement for it popped up on my Kindle; which then reminded me that I had recently seen a movie trailer for it. I realized once I started reading the Editorial Reviews that it was written by the same author of the The Fault in Our Stars. I honestly would never have put it together it was the same author until I read that... So that being said I decided to download it. Ok... fast forward to about 15 minutes into the book and I realized what my problem was going to be with the book (same problem I had with The Fault in Our Stars), I do not know of any teenagers who talk the way that John Green writes his teenagers. I understand that they are all of above average intellect but their vocabulary and speech patterns just do not flow right. If the character of Ben said the phrase, "honey bunnies" one more time I thought I was going to pull my hair out. But thankfully once he got a girlfriend that phrase miraculously dropped out of his vernacular. The lists that Q. keeps making and reiterating in his mind that he never discusses with anyone became really annoying too. They stopped for a while and then came back, they served almost no point. I get that Quentin was a very methodical person and that was part of his thought process but his lists were fairly repetitive and did not aid in the understanding of the scenario. I know it sounds like I did not like this book at all however, I did really enjoy it. I made it through some of the longer winded parts, and some of the annoying parts and came out at the end. The ending was not what I expected and I was glad. There was definitly a conclusion (although some may say this is not the case), and I thank John Green for that. I do not think it was the kind of ending that ties up every loose end but these kids were all graduating from HS so the ending was really a starting point for all of them. And that is what made it a good ending.
on July 14, 2015
The Basics:

Quentin has harbored a certain longing all his life for Margo Roth Speigelman, childhood friend and girl next door in the literal and only literal sense. Margo is a legend. She's the girl at the center of every true epic tale Quentin couldn't even make up if he tried. When Margo disappears, Quentin devotes himself to solving not only the mystery of what happened to her but the whole mystery that is Margo Roth Speigelman from afar.

The Downside:

A story about trying to understand a character who disappears for the majority of said story works about as well as it sounds like it would. Margo starts out as a Ferris Bueller-like larger-than-life figure, a self-centered bully of a friend who can only be tolerated for her ability to open doors to experiences that are closed to better behaved people. Quentin’s efforts lead him mainly to the conclusion that it’s impossible to completely understand another person, which is interesting in its way, but for those of us well-behaved people who were hoping for a glimpse of what it’s like to be a Margo type, in spite of Margo being given the chance to explain herself, we don’t get much. A great deal of time is also spent meditating on poetry explication and metaphors that become forced at points, and which characters agree upon inexplicably without the need for discussion.

The Upside:

While Margo is perhaps even more mysterious than she’s meant to be, Quentin himself is transparent, relatable and lovable. He’s the timid, well-behaved kid who wants to be a hero, and who ultimately ends up embracing and cultivating his easily overlooked heroic qualities of compassion, curiosity, and determination. It’s a subtle but very satisfying progression. The metaphors do work well most of the time, and there’s a great bit of discussion at the end about why which metaphors we choose from the multitude of options to contemplate is important. And for those of us who enjoy the fantasy of improbably intellectual interaction between supposedly average characters (probably all of us who will voluntarily read more than one John Green book in a lifetime), Metaphysical I Spy for the win!
on April 3, 2016
I found this book to be mostly boring. A bit of a disappointment after reading "Fault in Our Stars" and "Looking for Alaska." I felt it dragged on a little too much in the middle while Quentin was doing his "investigation" and there's a lot of details that could have been cut out, as they added nothing to the storyline or imagination. I held out until the end though, mostly because I know John Green will wrap it up nicely and pull everything together.... and he did... and that's the only thing that made this book worthwhile. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it, and I didn't think it was as insightful or interesting or funny as his other books. Nonetheless, I still like John Green and his books are always thought provoking and well-written.
on January 20, 2014
I have been a fan of John Green for awhile now. I first saw his Youtube channel that told strange facts and that's something that I'm into and when I started to research him further, I saw that he had written books. Out of the books he has written, this was the third one that I read and by far the weakest of the three. I first read Looking for Alaska and then The Fault in Our Stars.

Paper Towns was disappointing in the way that it seemed to slow every so often before it would pick back up again. There wasn't a huge climax any place and most of the pages could honestly be skipped without even losing track of what's happening in the plot. What I found the most disappointing in this book was that he didn't seem to have those profound one liners or paragraphs that he's known for. There wasn't anything worth quoting in it. Even at its most frustrating, heartbreaking, or exciting times, it was mediocre at best.

It was unfortunate how simple the ending was. The book set up two options on how it could end and that was either that they would find her or they wouldn't - a bit of a flip of the coin as to what would happen.

I still think he's a great author. This just wasn't his best.
on May 13, 2014
Paper Towns follows Quentin on his journey to find the mysterious Margo Roth Spiegelman after she disappears right before high school graduation. They were friends as children and drifted apart over the years, but Q has always held a candle for Margo. She comes to his window one night and convinces him to help her get revenge on some of her "friends" with some well-planned pranks - the next day she's gone and no one knows where. But she's left a few clues for Q and he decides to follow them and on the way discovers more about Margo and himself than he thought he would.

What I liked:
I like John Green's writing style. Period. Perhaps I'm biased, but I'm not sure that he could write a book that I would truly dislike. I especially enjoy the male characters he creates and Q is no exception. He's a mixture of awkward and charming and despite having graduated high school several years ago, I felt he was relatable able and was someone I'd like to be friends with. I also liked Q's friends, and the fact that they had fairly different personalities and interests from his own - I find too often in young adult novels there's a group of characters and they're all so similar it's hard to tell them apart! They're diverse but without being your Breakfast Club bunch of cliché stereotypes - the jock, nerd, badass, etc. [Side note: I'm not having on the Breakfast Club in any way; I love that movie!]

I also liked Q's relationship with his parents, who are psychologists. He's a good kid, gets good grades, obeys curfew (most of the time) and his parents trust him. Yet he's not afraid to be daring, to sneak around and take a risk and he's also very honest with his parents about certain issues too. I think that once again, it's a good mix. He's not a perfect little angel, but he's not the type to hate his parents or constantly whine about how they don't understand him. I just really enjoyed Q's perspective - as much as I love reading young adult/teen fiction, I do find myself getting easily annoying with main characters. I'm not sure if this is a reflection on myself, because I'm just not in that mindset anymore, or if there aren't enough well-written teen characters out there, but Q kept me invested in this book.

What I didn't like:
Margo Roth Spiegelman.

I don't think I'm the only one with this mindset. Honestly, she felt really pretentious and reminded me a lot of Alaska. She didn't seem like a real girl. I'm not saying that there aren't teenage girls out there who are adventurous, mysterious, and poetic, who are able to socialize with the jocks and nerds alike, who like all genres of music and read Whitman's poetry and don't care about their looks. But I certainly never knew anyone like that, nor did I ever hear stories about a teen like this either. It also annoyed me that Q uses her full name almost every time he refers to her, although I realize this is part of how he sees her - as this amazing girl whose full name deserves to be used because she's so much more than any other girl.

But Q is clearly idealizing her because throughout middle school and high school they've drifted apart to the point where she barely speaks to him, despite them being neighbors. He's in love with the idea of MRS and even Q starts to realize on his journey to find her that he doesn't know her the way the thought he did.

This however, doesn't really change Q's opinion of her overall. He is still convinced he loves her (and maybe he does!) and he still seems to be wearing rose-colored glasses where she's concerned. I enjoyed the way the other characters grew and interacted, but Margo just annoyed me.

The ending also left me unsatisfied. It felt unresolved and while I realize this can work in some cases, here I just felt like I needed closure. It wasn't a very emotionally strong or moving ending and I had higher expectations.

Overall, if you're a fan of John Green, I think you'll enjoy this, though it's nowhere near as moving as Fault or even Alaska - but not all of his books have to make me cry, so I'm okay with this. If you've never read John Green, this might also be a good place to start. I think it's an excellent display of his character development and will give you a feel for his style.