Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on August 7, 2017
I like a lot of this author's other work. He stated that Paper or Plastic, his first published novel wasn't very good, so I read it to see for myself. I think he is too hard on himself.
The story of a PTSD Vet, in the near future, who meets up with an "alien" human sightseeing on earth against her government's wishes was well constructed.
The near future world was well constructed, both a believable extrapolation from our present, with the pitfalls of too much government presence in the protagonist's life.
The "Alien" has some neat tech, including interstellar travel, but the novel focuses on the social impact of the technology and how her government controls its citizens by maintaining control of innovation. The protagonist, his also PTSD friend, and the "alien" visitor combine to break free from the limits both here on earth and her interstellar government to open both societies to growth.
This novel doesn't get 5 stars, because at the end as the humans open the gates to allow earth values to enter the intersteller civilization, the shift from the core three characters is diluted by the abrupt introduction of a new character. This new character is necessary to grow the earth human's impact on the interstellar world, but the change in perspective to a new guy was somewhat jarring.
on December 12, 2017
I started reading Paper or Plastic? but didn't get very far. I found the subject matter to be interesting, but the descriptions were long-winded and tedious. Also, I found far too many typos, words used incorrectly (lay instead of lie), plurals instead of possessives, etc. The author needs a proofreader and editor. Too many typos make a book difficult to read. I finally had to give up. Too many books today are riddled with typos, which takes away the job of reading. I offer my assistance as an editor and proofreader.
on September 14, 2016
No spoilers. Overall, an interesting read. For the most part, I liked the world the author created. I would say, if you don't have a book you want to read, read this one, but save it for after books you know you want to read. On to the review.

The book was different. This made the reading experience positive and negative in different ways. Negative, in that, it was hard to read at times. It didn't flow that well, and the word usage seemed wrong. (Maybe it was British English?) But this is a minor point. Positive, in that, the author, in my opinion, takes the story in a direction I wasn't expecting, but does a good job of being consistent in the world that was created. I'm going to comment on the end of the book, so, POSSIBLE MINOR SPOILER ahead. One last negative is that, at the end of the book, the plot kind of just fizzles out. Where I didn't know what was going to happen at the beginning, became the opposite toward the end of the book.
on January 19, 2016
Mackey Chandler delivers a good solid read in this, his first [I think] novel. Good solid enjoyable characters, some twists in there I didn't expect. Including a couple bits that could be considered a dig at the perfidy of the federal government with more and more regulations. The scope of humankind in this is...pretty cool. If it weren't for the fact my reading habits have changed somewhat...I'd have given it 5 stars. If it had kept me reading non stop through the night it would have had the 5th. Be that as it may, as soon as I have the funds available we'll start a foray into his other books. which look to be a couple series.
on October 27, 2013
So strongly influenced by Heinlein that it sometimes seems almost copied, especially in the stilted and artificial way that the men and women speak and interact with each other.
Mr Chandler writes damn good stories, and this is one, but it really troubles me that his protagonists have a very selective moral compass - they are Right and everyone else is Wrong, and they are totally "justified" to terminate any opposition with extreme prejudice to individuals and entire nations.

In this story, just three people see an opportunity for personal enrichment and kill everyone in their way, both from Earth and from an Alien Nation. And when they arrive on a pristine under-populated world, they immediately start to "develop" it for personal enrichment. And introduce that awful colonial (now so American) paternalistic habit of tipping! (That's civilisation?) The three are financing their venture with platinum and diamonds, which are both common on other planets - so when their venture succeeds they will ruin the traders who are supporting them when the markets inevitably get flooded.
on June 1, 2016
Surpassed expectations. You know a book is good when you keep looking to see how much of it is left, if only to assure yourself there will be more after this little bit. Smart, witty, and complex without being stuffy, this book is hands down the best I've read in a while. I greatly enjoyed the "family" series as well, but in this novel, Mr. Chandler captures a sense of adventure, and discovery that seem attainable to our way of life. Fantastic work, sir!
on March 23, 2015
I would love to see more in this universe. This author has become one of my "go to" authors when looking for a new book. This sat in my kindle queue for a while before I got to it, and I really wish I had read it sooner. Great premise, great story.
on June 2, 2012
I think this may be a good story, but I kind of lost enthusiasm for it after trying to make it through so many glaring typographical and grammatical errors. I mean, there are things like the frequent omission of quotation marks and no attribution as to who is talking. None of that would have been a deal breaker but then we have characters who suddenly change their personalities.
I felt like I wanted to tell the author to please, go back and spend a little time rereading this book or have someone do it for you before publishing it. I don't want to work so hard. I am the customer. I just want to read the story.
on August 16, 2016
Appears to be the authors first published book and the story line is not as well structured as the latter books but it is still an enjoyable read

Would be good to see a 2nd edition with the story smoothed out - especially in the 2nd half when things seem to jump forward too much. Some short dialogue sections could be modified to not be as close as used in the later books
on December 23, 2014
OK, I am a sucker for Libertarian fiction. It, no doubt, is better in fiction than reality, but I like the self-made, competent ideal it espouses. Looking forward to more.