Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon counterpart counterpart counterpart  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on April 6, 2013
I was looking for a skydiving chapter book for my son. He really likes the book and all that he has learned. We recommend this book.
on September 12, 2014
Product shipped quickly and was as expected.
on November 30, 2014
It's a great book that arrived fast. With an even better price.
on September 16, 2013
Good book for beginner in skydiving. And I love a chapter of emergency procedure. Soft cover is good for your pocket also
on November 29, 2012
I'm a skydiver begginner, the book is very useful for my entry level, I use to read it before my jumps
on August 27, 2010
Really cool book, if you are not a skydiver yet and you want to learn about it this is the way to go
on November 7, 2009
I didn't care for this book. The (supposed) principle author, is a retired chairman of the board for USPA. As well as former president of the parachute industry association. Most of the cited credits are from the old boy network. The author's general writing style is a bit condescending, & off-putting. Thankfully, most of this book was actually written by many contributing writers. Almost all pictures date from the original release of this book, in the 70's. There is a lot of outdated, useless data included here. Punctuated w/interspersed blurbs of updated info. A lot of the equipment covered is only viewable in the Smithsonian, nowadays. Is there also useful data? You bet. Did I learn a few things from this book? Yes. I'm new to the sport, & will take qualified info where I can find it. There's nothing that wouldn't be a part of any 6hr ground school course for an "A" license, though. The wealth of outdated data, combined w/the author's off-putting style, make me wish I'd passed on this book. It has been through TEN revisions @this point, spanning decades. It's now a hodgepodge of various articles, really. Cobbled together by an editor for re-release, & maybe another paycheck. Happily, I bought it used. So, I didn't pay much @all for it.

There are other books available for this purpose. These other books were written by concerned, caring, fellow enthusiasts (who happen to already be rated up the wazoo). When an instructor truly loves to teach, & spread the joy. You get much, much more from the encounters. Unfortunately, this book, IMHO, falls @the other end of the spectrum.
on October 26, 2016
This book isn't terrible, but as someone who read this between finishing AFF and actually getting my A License a few weeks later, my impression is as follows:

1) This is for absolute beginners only. If you've already passed AFF, then you won't learn much from this book. You're better off looking for books about canopy flight (Brian Germain's book is excellent) and other advanced topics.

2) Everything in this book is in the SIM, and the newest SIM (I have the 2016/17 version) is very clear and easy to use. Buy a print version of the SIM and you'll have a much easier time finding and digesting the information.

3) This book is a little outdated. I'm sure it was ground breaking when the 1st edition came out, but we're up to at least the 10th edition now...there are sources of more modern information out there and I feel your time is better spent studying those.
on November 3, 2012
I got my A licence nearly 10 years ago, but haven't jumped since. I am preparing to get back into jumping now that time and money are available, so finally got around to reading this book that I had had on the shelf for years. It provides an excellent overview of the basics of skydiving, and I learned a lot that I either didn't learn or didn't recall learning in my A licence course. I'd recommend it for beginners, but I think that if you don't have at least a few jumps experience, you won't have a clue what he's talking about for much of the book. So perhaps it's best to read the intro chapters before your first jumps, then read the rest later.

The book is showing its age in that it doesn't discuss newer improvements in gear such as skyhooks and magnetic riser covers, but some of the basics also could use some updating. You can tell from the haircuts that a lot of the photos were taken in the 70's (probably from the first edition of the book), even though they're not in the history chapter. That's a minor thing, but another issue is that some of the diagrams are either unclear or are based on older equipment. For example, there is a small diagram of a jumper deploying his main, but it appears that his hand is on his right chest, near where the cutaway handle is on modern gear. I didn't notice it when I read, but it confused my girlfriend, who has never jumped solo before, but is reading the book in preparation for training. I consider this a safety issue, as she had already formed a mental image that the cutaway handle is the main deployment handle, and I actually caught her practicing pulls from that location with imaginary gear on. I'm not sure if on older gear that's where the ripcord was or if it is just an unclear diagram, but either way I suspect that the diagram has been there since the first editions of the book and it could use an update to make it clearer and/or to reflect modern gear.

For future editions, I'd like to see the photos and diagrams get updated, but perhaps also some video supplements on a website somewhere would be helpful. I have the PADI Encyclopedia of Diving for scuba, and they have video integrated with the CD version of the book. While a CD version of the Skydiver's Handbook would be appreciated if offered, video could also be added at links or QR codes given within the physical book. I'd like it to contain video of things such as: how an RSL works, how the 3-ring system works, how a skyhook works, packing methods, how to do flips in the air, etc.
on March 9, 2002
If you are even remotely courious about skydiving, read this book. If someone you love is taking up the sport and you are nervous about it, read the first few chapters. If you are concerned about safety, health requirements, equipment, procudures, you name it... get a hold of this book.
It is a good reference to review emergency procudures from time to time and it is a fantastic aid for skydiver like me that are just out of student status striving to find someone to jump with. It contains several pointers on exercizes to practice while in freefall and under canopy that are useful well after a skydivier is off student status.
I read it cover to cover almost twice before getting my first lesson. Of course that did not prevent me from forgetting the little detail of deploying my canopy on my first jump (but I am alive and still skydiving, yes, skydiving is THAT safe).Student skydivers should always listen to their instructors.