PARADISE LOST 3: PURGATORY, the conclusion of Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky s award-winning trilogy that spawned a worldwide movement to free three convicted men, tells the complete story of one of the most notorious child murder cases in U.S. history. Beginning with the 1993 murders, the film chronicles the 18-year fight to prove the innocence of the West Memphis Three; Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin and Jessie Misskelley, incarcerated for an alleged Satanic ritual killing the convicted men, and their supporters worldwide, maintain they did not commit. With Echols on death row and Baldwin and Misskelley serving life sentences, PARADISE LOST 3 examines a horrifying crime with fresh insights that only the passage of time can provide. Facts are reexamined, new evidence is revealed, and new suspects are scrutinized. With an extraordinary perspective of three films spanning nearly two decades, PARADISE LOST 3 is a provocative examination of American justice and a celebration of the power of cinema to effect social change.
- Nominee, Best Documentary Feature Academy Award®
- Best Documentary, National Board of Review
- Nominee Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Documentary, Director s Guild of America
- Official Selection, Toronto International Film Festival
- Most Valuable Documentary of the Year, Berlin s Cinema for Peace Awards
We tend to think of movies as fun diversions. But every once in a while they have the power to change lives. --Entertainment Weekly
A testament to the power of documentary. --The Hollywood Reporter