Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Book House Cleaning siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 423 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 439 reviews
on July 7, 2010
I have identified 3 critical parts to the movie theatre popcorn you love. I will break it down for you:

1- Paragon Coconut Popping Oil = Provides the 'nutty/toasted' flavor, the odor that permeates the local cinema, and yellow hue to the popped corn
2- Flavacol = The yellow ultra-fine salt of good cinema popcorn.
3- *Buttery topping = the goo you get when you ask for "extra 'butter' " at the concessions counter or clarified butter[1].

My current recipe: (2014-05-29)
 Lindy's Stainless Steel Popcorn Popper for popping (you can use pots to great effect too, no worries)
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
1/2 tsp Flavocol
36 grams coconut oil (I have a digital kitchen scale)
2 tbs salted butter (you can use unsalted too)
*(I adjusted the recipe above to make a smaller yield so that it usually fits in the Lindy's pot - the larger recipe required dumping some popcorn out mid-batch, and I realized

Makes ... well ... a really big bowl. We hold it in a large but shallow stainless mixing bowl.
Enough for three adults who really like to eat popcorn.
660 calories for the entire bowl. I eat about 1/2 bowl ... ergo about 330 calories.

Directions:
[] Popcorn
With stove on high, put Flavocol and coconut oil in kettle and melt then swish a little to distribute. Dump in popcorn and close lid. Stir kettle with crank. This recipe makes more than can fit in the Lindy's kettle, so I quickly pour off SOME of the extra when the kettle fills and put it back on the stove.

[] Clarified butter topping
Put the butter in a small bowl or mug and microwave _as low as it goes_ for three to five minutes. The objective is to melt the butter slowly and prevent it from 'boiling and crackling'. If it boils for too long, it gets an offish flavor, kind of like freezer burned food to be honest. If done right, you'll have a thin layer of whitish goo in the bowl on top of a deep yellow clear layer with a little white goo in the bottom. Skim off the whitish layer on top (if it forms) with a spoon and discard. Carefully pour the clear yellow layer over your popcorn but _not_ the white bottom stuff - yes, you'll have to waste a little yellow layer to do this. The white top and bottom layers are what makes popcorn soggy - the clear yellow layer is pure oil and will NOT make it soggy. (thanks to all below who raised my awareness to this fact).

Product notes:
:: Cost ::
I hesitated buying this at first ... thinking "$15 ... is it really worth it?" I procrastinated buying Flavacol because it seemed silly that shipping cost more than the product itself. Well, now after 1.5 years I still haven't used up either product and spent less than $30 total for popcorn that is absolutely incredible.
UPDATE- my flavocol box has lasted five tubs of coconut oil plus some.

:: 100% coconut oil melts at 72-74F ::
I read a review that stated the purchaser was dissatisfied because it wasn't 100% Coconut oil. The label on the back (as of writing of this review) says "76 (degree symbol)" coconut oil plus beta carotene NOT "76% Coconut oil" . It's 100% Coconut Oil mixed with a small amount beta carotene (for yellow color). The "76 (degree symbol)" refers to the melting temperature of the coconut oil and thus this popcorn "oil" is a _solid_ at room temperature (less than 76F). I had it sitting on the counter when it was 80 degrees indoors and it started to melt ... later that same evening when the A/C brought the house to 74 degrees for a couple of hours ... it began solidifying again. Neat.

:: No buttery flavor in this ::
Though convincingly yellow in color, this popcorn oil provides NO butter flavor.

:: Refrigeration ::
It does not require refrigeration once opened.

:: Shelf Life ::
Pretty near unlimited - This tub lasts around a year at our house before we run out. Since it contains no water or sugars, bacteria really have no way of getting started in there. I mean ... how long would you trust a bottle of canola oil? Pretty much indefinitely, right?

:: What does it DO and why do I NEED it? ::
Coconut Oil provides the 'missing ingredient' between cinema popcorn an your homemade popcorn - that nutty, toasty, movie-theatre smell. Been using some form of vegetable-oil haven't you? It's okay, but sometimes it's unpleasantly oily. It JUST doesn't taste correct, right? Use this 'popping oil' (solid, remember) for your stove-top popcorn and you're done. (I have tried 'gourmet' popcorns, white popcorn, etc ... but have found that plane-jane barebones no-frills yellow popcorn from your local store actually tastes best.)

If you want 100% theatre-like popcorn ... you'll have to substitute #3> above with the 'butter-flavored topping' of your choice. But, to be honest, that goo kind of turns my stomach. To prevent butter from softening your popcorn follow the directions above to clarify it.

Bliss. Heaven. It's soooooooo good.
2424 comments| 246 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I randomly Googled "secret to movie popcorn" one day and discovered Flavacol, along with the right coconut popping oil, were some of the ingredients to getting popcorn to taste the same as the ones in theaters. I decided to try them all and the results may just make you sneak your own popcorn in bags into a movie theater. Below is my recipe for a serving for two people.

— SERVING FOR TWO —
Ingredients:
• 1/2 cup of Orville Redenbacher's Gourmet Popping Corn, Original, 8lbs
• 1 teaspoon of Gold Medal Flavacol Seasoning Salt, 35oz
• 3 tablespoon Paragon Coconut Popcorn Popping Oil, gallon (this item)
• Add as much to your liking of Great Northern Movie Theater Butter Topping, gallon (pending recommendation)

Directions:
1) Turn stove temperature to medium-high on a medium pot (with a lid available) with the coconut oil and Flavacol, mix around.
2) Drop in three kernels of popcorn as testers; put the lid on with a slight opening.
3) Once the three kernels pop, the oil is ready and you can pour all the kernels in, making sure the oil coats the kernels; put the lid on with a slight opening.
4) The popcorn will pop. Once the popping stops to about 1 every few seconds, turn off the heat and let it sit for a minute for residual popping.
5) Pour popcorn into a bowl or two and add your butter oil topping of choice. I use a Tablecraft Olive Oil Dispenser, 8 oz, because it makes it easy to pour how much I like. Feel free to add any other food items in during this point as well.

*** TIP ***
The suggested kernel amount is for a medium-sized pot. If you want to pop more kernels you will need a bigger pot or it will overflow.

— SUMMARY —
Making movie popcorn can get expensive for all the ingredients, but compare it to how much it cost at the theaters and you'll change your mind. This is a large gallon of popcorn cooking oil and will last a really long time. Recommended.
on April 6, 2011
Making popcorn using this will give the movie theatre experience at home. The aroma this coconut oil puts out when making popcorn just makes you hungry for freshly popped corn. Will order again when we are almost out. FYI this will arrive in a melted state after being in the delivery truck all day in the hot sun and after it cools down inside the house it then becomes almost a paste. It's okay like that and nothing is wrong with it ... just so you will know.

Updating this and now giving it a 2 star from 5 stars. This is my second batch and again I'm throwing this out because of the really weird taste and smell after having it for several months. These jars tend to last about 6 months then go bad ... or just taste really bad. At first the taste is great, but now ... it's hard to explain. I thought maybe my popcorn was going bad. Cooked up a batch with regular oil and the popcorn is fine so it's the Coconut oil. Would recommend this if the whole container would be used up fairly quickly. Makes many batches so unless you are eating popcorn every single day this container will turn on you. Maybe if the product were sold in smaller containers. That would be great if did and I would buy again.
on April 6, 2017
I have tried many different coconut oils over the past year including Snappy and I have been very disappointed. This beats Snappy hands down and the many others that I have tried.

This coconut oil colored with Beta-Carotene is not only delicious but isn't greasy, it smells delicious and never causes me any stomach upset like others have.

Pair this oil with Paragon's Country Harvest Popcorn sold here on Amazon and you'll have crisp delicious popcorn.
on February 7, 2013
This is a pretty good deal on oil. It does have good value.

BUT--if you have not popped with the 'organic' kind of pure coconut oil, I would suggest buying a small jar here or heading over to Trader Joe's to do so.

Why?
Simply put, you can _smell_ the difference. Organic coconut oil wafts through the air while you pop it stovetop. The scent of coconut passes through and infuses the popcorn and stays with it in the bowl. This oil here, however, does not. I can only guess as to why this 'coconut' oil does not, but I strongly believe that it is in connection with the low price.

Bottom line: pay more for the fancy healthy packaged oil, and you'll notice the difference. I did.

Since popcorn is so cheap as it is, I think I'll spend a few extra dollars more on oil and skip on this.
on May 27, 2013
I use this for so much more then just pop corn. I us it to cook fish or fry chicken. I use only Baby White Rice popcorn and this gives it such a roasted nice nutty taste I no longer use butter. The price value is the best I have found and with Amazon free shipping its a no brainer. I keep it stored on the bottom of my kitchen cabinet to keep it in a semi hard state. It spoons out quite easily and will not smoke at a fairly high heat.
on August 5, 2011
I've been studying up on how to make the perfect popcorn for quite some time now, and the very best advice I got was right here on Amazon! Lots of "popcorn people" here, many of whom revealed their secrets. I bought the threesome recommended by Amazon: Paragon Coconut Oil, Paragon Popcorn, and Flavacol. With Super-Saver shipping, it's a deal that can't be beat.

After reading the instructions on all 3 ingredients and the reviews published herein, I settled on the following recipe: 1/4 cup of coconut oil, 3/4 cup of popping corn, and 1 teaspoon of Flavacol. I heated up the oil, added the popcorn, then added the Flavacol while the stirrer was churning. I kept my fingers crossed and waited. All of a sudden, all hell broke loose and the popcorn commenced to popping. Much faster than that Orville Redenbacker crap---this was like a machine gun going off! Very few unpopped kernels compared to brands I've purchased in the supermarket. This is the real deal, folks. My house smells like the lobby of a movie theatre!

After a squirt of butter, I chowed down on the best popcorn I've ever eaten! Seriously. Buying the ingredients in these quantities saved a bunch of money compared to the supermarket, and I have enough to last for a very long time.

I'd advice folks to buy a few Tupperware re-useable cereal containers to store the bulk popcorn, as the bag cannot be resealed; and I'm also looking into getting some smaller jars for more convenient storage and use of the coconut oil.

Thanks to all who contributed their advice to this "forum" of sorts!
on March 29, 2015
Sor far so good. Gives a nice color to your popcorn. Not much different from white coconut oil, but does add the color you are used to when going to the theater or sporting events. Don't forget to add in the flavacol. Once popped, sprinkle with popcorn salt (fine salt). If you have a "commercial" popper, you will find that your popcorn tastes very similar to that of the large chain movie theaters. The most difficult part is trying to add the right amount of oil. This will take some trial and error on your part to get it to your liking. This oil does not have butter flavor added. There are some products that do mix a flavoring into the coconut oil. If you want to mimic what you get at a movie theater or sporting event, this is pretty much the product that will get you close. If you want butter flavor, you can add it at the end of the process or try out the coconut oils that have the butter flavor included. The big advantage of using coconut oil is that it give your popcorn a nice crisp texture. Regardless of what the reviews tell you, you will need to experiment with different oils and flavors to fit your needs.
on August 4, 2010
I just found this huge gallon jug of red coconut oil. I've been using it for weeks now and it tastes and handles just like the movie theater. It is semi solid at room temperature.

A friend I know has owned a movie theater for over 20 years. He told me the industry secret.
You know that old popcorn smell at the movie theater? That sweet smell that reassures you and lets you know you've arrived in the cool air conditioned retreat of your favorite movie house? That smell is red coconut oil cooking over high heat. Sadly the health conscious has abandoned this, but still today in most theater's red coconut oil is used. I've found a couple products I really like but they come in tiny containers. That's no good. This is a gallon. Bring on the popcorn! This will be enough to serve an entire crowd at a high school football game. You only need a tablespoon and a half for an 1/4 cup of uncooked popcorn.

Next get Flavorcol. This is the seasoned salt that is used.

Don't use butter. It won't turn out right. Use butter flavored topping.
Good Luck!
1111 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 6, 2013
This product works great. We just purchased a new stovetop popcorn popper and once we used this poppping oil it made the popcorn taste so much better. The first time we used the popper we just had some Orville Redinbocker oil and it was okay but once we used this oil the popcorn was through the roof!! Definitely recommend this product!!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.