Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Holiday Gift Picks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Presto! Laundry Gifts for Him Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Sting Shop Now

Format: CD-ROM|Change

Showing 1-10 of 234 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on October 31, 2012
Does everything it claims. Sometimes you need to take a fantastic product (iMac) and make it even better with Parallels. Parallels puts Boot Camp to shame. I run Windows7 because Kodak doesn't make MAC software for my Kodak High Speed Scanner. Parallels solves the problem by letting me run Windows7 Professional inside Apple while not having to reboot or shut down. Excellent product
on November 26, 2012
What do you do when you switch to a mac (or convince someone else to) but still want to run another OS?

There are two options:
1. Use bootcamp
2. Use virtual desktop software like Parallels

At first I thought that the first option was clearly the best. It would allow you do have both OS without spending the extra money on top of buying another OS installation cd and key. It would also allow you to use the full potential of both OS without limiting the other. So if you are worried about not getting the full potential out of both systems, then bootcamp would probably be your cup of tea.

I will be honest, I originally thought that bootcamp would be the best option for me, but I wanted to give Parallels a try. I am glad I did, because Parallels changed my mind. The installation process for both Parallels and the other operating system were simple and problem free. As far as I can tell both operating systems do not fight for resources (so far). It is nice being able to switch to the other OS and back at will. There are multiple ways to switch between systems which is great. Since this is a virtual desktop, you never lose the native (or original) operating system functions.

Something weird:
1. If you have any programs in the virtual system running while using the native system you will see them as separate programs apart from the Parallels icon. I find this a little annoying, but with time I'm sure I will get used to it.
2. The trackpad sensitivity while in the virtual system is a little bit more sensitive, but it is easy to adjust to it.

I am rating this 4 out of 5 because it does everything I want so far, but since I haven't truly taxed both systems yet, I cannot give it a 5 out of 5.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on November 7, 2013
You will have to pay $50 more every time mac upgrades! The try to get about $50 a year out of you! Don't let them fool you! They cut support of for this program last month! Oct 31, 2013!!!! It is not worth a dollar! We have spent hundreds with them in the last 2 years and they want $300 more just because Mac upgraded! Not good.
on December 28, 2012
What a pleasant surprise!, that is a couple of years ago. My olde WindowsXP OS was back again after an absence of a year on my one year old iMac desktop. Nice to hear that welcome melody again. My purpose in going the Parallels8 route was because of Mac Lion's lack of support on a number of Windows based programs that I had been using for years on my now-retired Dells. Such programs would either not work at all or would not do all of the operations with Lion that they would do with Windows. (I never would have gone the Mac route if I had known this when I purchased a new computer a year ago).

However, that was in 2012 and now it is 2014. It has been kind of quirky these past two years but is has allowed me to jump back and forth between the Mac OS and Windows XP while working on the same file, just by a click of the mouse. I couldn't have been happier with this arrangement. But suddenly, on March 12th, 2014, I got a nasty message that Parallels "virtualization support was disabled on my Mac" and it wouldn't let me start up Windows. Instructions to fix this told me to remove Parallels 8 from the system and to reinstall the software. After uninstalling the software I inserted the installation disk and got a nasty message from Apple stating that this App was no longer supported. So I ended up going to our very friendly Apple Authorized tech support folks, who did an excellent job (for $100) getting me back in business again. After getting back home, all was well. Everything was working better than it originally had but then, suddenly, again, after about two house, same nasty messages, same nasty problem.

This would be a five star item, in that it allows one to jump back and forth seamlessly between the two operating system while working on the same file. However, it turned out to be very unstable and Apple doesn't even support this version any more.

Back to my Tech Support Folks. More Later
on November 30, 2012
I got this along with Windows 8 Professional System Builder DVD 64-Bit, for a class that I will be taking next term. It was easy to install, and at the end of installing it, it gave me the choice of installing Windows or waiting. There are instruction if you choose to wait on installing Windows. You can stand an earlier OS, but Windows 8 was the one I got at. It is fairly easy to go between the Mac and Windows. The only difficulty so far is getting use to dealing with Windows again, it has been a while for me plus getting use to Windows 8 which is different than Vista.

There is a couple of ways you can have it set up, but they are all easily switch able between Windows and Mac. I have it set up so everything stayed together. You can for the most part keep Windows in a window of it's own or you can have it in something called "Coherence", which has the windows version of the dock on the bottom. But it is easy to go between the windows and mac.

If you have a Mac, but need something that runs Windows, but don't want to buy a new computer or don't need a whole new computer, this is a nice substitute.
on January 24, 2014
I have one program that is only for windows that I need all the time. This kept me buying Sony laptops for 20 years. I have to say, Sony has gone so far down hill it's become a travesty. Really bad quality machine, but worse is trying to get support and things fixed if you have to send it back.
When i heard about Parallels, i made the leapt to a MacAir. I bought this software to install, instead of using the way you can designate part of your hard drive to windows that comes with the laptop. For that, you have to turn one off in order to use the other.
But with Parallels you can keep both Mac and Windows open at the same time, and move fluidly from one to the other -(you just opt to "enter coherence" after turning on the machine). Not being familiar with Mac, it was tricky for me to instal it, but calling Parallels 1-800 number will give you all the support you need until its running perfectly. They are great, and they stay with you. PS - You do have to put your own Windows program on- along with the Parallels - but you can buy it, or just download it for free
Goodbye Sony. You don't get to have me anymore!
on May 30, 2013
I switched to a Mac years ago but am still required to use Windows for my job. I also have been having difficulty finding some software for the Mac which operates some custom equipment I have. With that said, I have gone the route in the past doing a dual boot with a partition for Windows and OSX, but rebooting between the two is a pain in the but when you need to switch back and forth often. I decided to take the plunge and buy Parallels and a new copy of Windows 7 SP1, I can tell you that I was quite surprised with the performance and quick installation which so far seems to be seamless with OSX. The windows performance index was fantastic, and the Parallels software was so easy to understand and tweak. My machine is an iMac Core I7 3.4 GHz processor with 16GB of memory and an 2TB installed hard drive with 5.5TB of external hard drive space, WOW, does this thing perform well, much better than expected. I would have to say that a Mac running Parallels with Windows 7 is quite possibly the perfect machine! I would recommend this software to anyone needing to quickly and efficiently move from OSX to Windows simultaneously.
on May 10, 2013
I've been in IT now for 14 years supporting Windows and some Linux boxes. I recently took the plunge and got a MacBook Pro 17" (2011 factory reconditioned model). I've had a great deal of experience virtualizing in Windows and Linux, using VMware Workstation and Server, and Sun's VirtualBox. Parallels had a version for Linux a couple years ago but it wasn't good in my opinion. Even when I ran Linux boxes I'd have to virtualize a copy of Windows for certain apps.

I love the coherence mode of Parallels, yes there is a Seamless Mode in Virtual Box but it's not as nice as coherence mode. I like being able to add my most common Windows apps to the dock so I can launch them (and start the windows vm) easily. Go to the Parallels site and you'll still spend $80, save $20 and buy here on Amazon. It's definitely worth the price if you still have apps that run in Windows. I play around with WINE but there are still too many Windows apps it can't run and even CrossOver doesn't do much better.

Parallels works great and makes you forget you are running Windows in the background. Don't forget to still install AV protection in the Windows virtual machine.
on September 11, 2012
Pretty happy with the software so far! i just installed it and was able to play a couple PC games in a virtual window.
Installation was smooth - Follow the on-screen prompts and be sure to verify your e-mail address.

My happiness stems from having the right expectation I think. I understand I am running a virtual machine and not going to get the same performance I would get running a Windows application in Boot Camp. (e.g. games)

I'm using a late 2011 iMac 27"
16 GB RAM
i7 Processor
Using a Turtle Beach USB Sound Device as well.
Running Windows 7 64 Bit from a Boot Camp Partition

Here was the sweet spot for me:

Set up parallels to use 512 Video Ram (Note, this really has little to do with your card) - More than this caused games to hang...768, 1024...
Allocated 4096 RAM for use in the virtual space. (I may experiment using more)

I was able to run Guild Wars 2 and the Secret World without issues...
Quicken 2010 ran fine as well (Although it takes a long time to load...Does in Windows too for that matter)

I played around with opening Windows documents within the MAc space.. It worked seamlessly.

All in All pretty happy.. I've been a "Mac Guy" for about 18 months after being a lifelong PC Geek
Will I never boot into Boot Camp again? Nope.. I see myself doing that for a dedicated gaming session but Parallels has more than met my expectation.
55 comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 30, 2013
Parallels 8 is a top-notch virtual machine. I can't really add too much work to what's already been mentioned in the description because it's 100% accurate. I'm running an iMac 3.74 GHz with 16 gigs of RAM. As you probably already know you can run multiple OS at the same time, and switching those around in Mountain Lion Mission Control works just like any other Mac window. It's great how you can easily add memory to an OS or remove it by simply right clicking on your VM and adjusting the memory with the slider. For instance you want to allocate half of the hard drive to...Windows 8 for instance just move the slider over accordingly. You're done! No issues at all.

The only problem I've encountered is Linux: Parallels doesn't work with Ubuntu or some of the other distros; however, it does work quite well with Pinguy. Though you have to get that on your own...not through the direct download.

Other than the slight minor stumbling block with Linux Parallels 8 a perfect virtual machine.

UPDATE: April update corrected the issue with Linux. Ubuntu 11.04 can be downloaded without problems.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.