Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 528 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 707 reviews
on September 6, 2016
This book is a parenting game-changer. Certainly not every parenting method will work with every child or temperament. I can say, though, that I was a very strong willed child myself, and if my parents had used these methods, our house would have been much more peaceful, relationships improved, and I probably wouldn't have made some of the poor choices as an older teen that I did. I have personally seen these principles used with great success in children of friends and family members. I personally haven't had a chance to use this with my son, as he is still a baby, but I'm trying to be prepared!

I feel like many of the negative reviews didn't thoroughly read the parts they are concerned with, or misconstrued the examples. The authors lay out general parenting principles, and then offer examples of how to implement these principles. These are EXAMPLES, people! You can certainly implement them in different manners than the authors suggest, based on your own child and what you feel is right as a parent. The authors state that the parent should only offer two choices that the parent is comfortable with. If you aren't comfortable with a certain choice (such as giving away a pet), then don't make that one of the choices you are offering, duh! The pet example seems to have many people up-in-arms, yet in this example, the parent did NOT permanently give away the pet as people state, they temporarily gave the dog to a family friend, telling the child they had 3 days to decide if the pet could come back home. Also, they did not starve the pet as everyone seems to think, they did let the child know they were abusing the pet by not feeding it. It certainly doesn't say the parent didn't or shouldn't feed the pet (without telling the child). No one is that heartless, and it doesn't serve a purpose. Also, the authors frequently list out precautions with their advice, since some individuals may misuse these techniques (as can happen with any parenting technique). They also have a section where they discuss how certain principles have been misconstructed, misprepresented and taken out of context. I feel like those who were concerned simply didn't read those additional words of wisdom. An example is that the authors discuss how the "uh oh" song is for when a child is misbehaving for the sake of misbehaving -- NOT because of a NEED. They emphasize that a need (vs a want) must be met, and I think some parents were too quick to use the "uh oh" song rather than meeting a need of the child. Also, I saw not even the slightest hint of any "attachment theory" in this book -- I hadn't even heard of this until I read some of the reviews. Now that I know what they were referring to, I can tell you there is none of this in the book.

Another amazing book that I highly recommend is "Loving Our Kids on Purpose" by Danny Silk. It is quite compatible with the Love and Logic principles, but emphasizes the importance of building a relationship with our children.
on February 27, 2017
As a mental health professional, I highly recommend this book. For parents who want to show love, empower, and also discourage negative childhood/teenage behaviors, this book can teach you how. There is a steep learning curve and you will have to study and restudy it. Nevertheless, the advise is powerful and effective.
on March 27, 2015
I absolutely love this book. It is amazing. We have three children, 5,6 and 7. I have used the techniques in this book and it really works. I am so excited about it. I have been sharing it with other mothers that could benefit from this book. I think every parent should read this book. I only wished I would have known about it when our children were even younger.
on July 22, 2017
This is an outstanding book and a must read for any parent, especially before your children become teenagers. If you can master some of these strategies while your kids are young, the teen years will very likely be more bareable. But if your kids are already tweets or teens, don't pass this book up. It is by far the most essential parenting book I've read
on March 15, 2016
I've read a lot of books since I have a very strong willed child (bordering on ODD) and this book has been by far the best I have read. It has made a world of difference in my house! From resistant to compliant in no time, the choices gives my girls their independence while still remaining in the behavioral boundaries.
on May 7, 2017
Excellent book, I'm doing my dissertation paper and this book has been an essential part for my research. Thanks for your great support in parenting.
on September 11, 2012
I found some of the techniques to be verry effective, others not so effective. For example, letting them make their own decisions on whether or not to be late for school. Letting them face the consequences for that. In my experience, my child doesn't care if he's late. If I didn't stay on him to get him going in the mornings he wouldn't bother to go at all. Let alone worry about being late. The only one facing a consequence there is me. Same as for the grades. He would rather face a consequence of not going or not doing homework. He sees the consequence in these situations as the lessor of the two evils. And He could care less if I get into trouble.

Now the tips and techniques for parents on not losing their control has been a blessing. Just takes practice and patience. Something I have little of. But these techniques help me tremendously. And giving them choices vrs barking orders is a win win most of the time. A lot less yelling and arguing.
on May 9, 2017
Fantastic book. After reading it I feel much more comfortable in how to approach my kids during difficult circumstances. Above all, it taught me great lessons about letting go of control and focus on loving my children and accepting them for who they are rather than trying to make them conform to my standards.
on March 23, 2013
I love the advice in this book. I checked it out from the library on two different occasions and read it, but since the parenting methods suggested here don't come naturally to me, I felt like I needed my own copy so that I could read through it whenever I needed a refresher. The basic premise is: gain the control you need by giving up the rest. The first half of the book explains how to do this in general and the second half gives examples of how to deal with several different common parenting situations. It works great for both of my little boys- almost five and almost three. When I go about parenting the way this book suggests, they are much better behaved, and even when they don't behave well, I feel like I know what to do.
on November 19, 2008
This book was recommended to us by the instructor in charge of our Foster Parent Training class. We have yet to try the techniques, since said foster children have yet to materialize.
I hope I can deliver the lines in this book without sarcasm or reprisal. Here's one: "You're welcome to join us for dinner once you're done mowing the lawn." I think Future Foster Child will just call his social worker and tell her that we refuse to feed him. Perhaps we will modify this one: Regular dinner is served between 6 and 6:30 for those whose chores are complete; certain healthy snacks are available until bedtime.
Still, the techniques are so perfectly logical that I laughed out loud while reading this book. I love this one:
Kid won't go to bed without a fuss? Declare that there is no longer a bedtime. Starting at 8pm, grownups get Personal Time. During Personal Time, children are not to be seen or heard. Oh, and wake up time is 6am. It is much easier to wake children up than to make them go to bed. Priceless!!!