BCA Month Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 3, 2014
A friend of mine, one of the test-moms for this cookbook, sent it to me when my 2nd born was 4 months old. That was two years ago and I still use this cook book at least twice a week. We even take it on vacation with us. I now give this book to every new parent I know - and to folks who aren't parents too.

The recipes are easy, tasty, nutritious. My favorites vary by season, but we make the honey and soy roasted salmon at least once a week. My kids (2&4) LOVE it. We're also big fans of the white bean and tuna salad, the veggie lasagna, the sweet potato and black bean chili is another staple.
on August 27, 2012
This book is a lifesaver. I have zero motivation and time to cook as a new mom and working mother, but this book has simple recipes that taste more complicated than they actually are. Even if you're not a parent, I'm recommending this book to you because it's just good food that's easy and quick to make. Best of all is that it includes a list of pantry recommendations to keep on hand that allow you to make most of the recipes inside. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't have photos. Publishing world, take note! A recipe book with no photos is no fun at all. I would have never bought this had I picked it up off the shelf. (I bought it because it was recommended to me.) Additionally, if you're breastfeeding, there's a section of recipes that include foods to help boost supply. For those of you with older kids, each recipe has a "Make Baby Food" suggestion at the end that helps you break down the "adult" meal into a kid-friendly version.
on November 14, 2015
This is my new go-to cookbook as a new mom - but I would have loved it before too, just as someone who doesn't enjoy spending all day cooking. We have tried several recipes and loved almost all of them. I love that the author tells you where you can take short cuts (e.g. using some canned/frozen/pre-made ingredients) and where it's worth it to go fresh. She also gives helpful tips about what to keep in the pantry. I feel it usually takes me longer to make most recipes than the cookbook says it will - but these are really do-able in the given time. Great resource!
on March 11, 2012
How I wish this book had been out when I was expecting. It took me almost 2 years to get my "kitchen legs" back after the birth of my second child and this book would have helped me achieve that much sooner. I had no idea that having a baby meant that spending 30 min on dinner preparation would soon become a luxury! The book contains a wonderful advice for new moms and excellent strategies so you do not have to eat take out through their infancy and toddlerhood. Great ideas for big batch cooking, nap time cooking and quick recipes for those of us who are WOHMs. Debbie's advice and expertise make her seem like a good friend, and help you feel less defeated when the major accomplishment of the day is being able to take a shower, let alone prepare a healthy meal for all. I highly recommend this book for expecting moms, new moms or parents of all ages who are looking for new ideas in the kitchen. It is a great read and I can't wait to try more of the recipes.
on May 15, 2014
Bought this as a gift for a new stay at home mom who changed roles with her husband after having baby. She was not used to cooking and loves this cook book! Within the first week of receiving it, she had already tried 2 recipes and they loved them!
on January 28, 2015
I was really hoping for simple recipes that would be super quick and easy to make. This is not the case. Want to be a real cook and spend all your free nap time cooking? This book is for you!! LOL. I have more important things to do with nap time then cook.
on February 22, 2012
This book has it all, easy instructions for sleep deprived new parents, practical advice, and oh so delicious recipes! Even though our days of rocking a newborn through the night are over, a week doesn't pass without at least one of Debbie's recipes appearing on our dinner table. I'm thrilled to see her amazing blog turned into such a great book that appeals to all types of palettes and skill levels. What would I do without you Debbie?
on September 7, 2016
Many of the recipes in this book have become family favorites! I especially love the baked falafel recipe and make it all the time for family gatherings. This book makes a great gift for baby showers or new parents.
on July 31, 2015
Has some great ideas and I appreciate the suggestions to adapt the recipes for babies as we will be serving table food to our little one. Some of the ingredients are a little too exotic for us and would be probably be difficult for us to locate, but overall the recipes are good.
on August 18, 2012
I find this to be a brilliant cookbook, and a life-saver time and again at 5 pm when my sleep-deprived brain has to think about dinner. Love the way it's organized and presented - very clear, and the nap-time preparation is such a great idea. Also great tips on the baby-friendly-ness of each recipe. I'm a decent cook, and the kind of person who likes to go with inexact amounts of things and not too many ingredients, because when I follow a recipe I have to refer to it at pretty much every step, which is so time-consuming. I'm more comfortable improvising in the kitchen, though my mommy brain can't handle much improvisation these days. So this book is perfect - the recipes have relatively few ingredients, simple steps clearly laid-out, are nutritious and whole-food based, and I typically have the necessary ingredients in my pantry or fridge. I have tried many things that I've never made before, and will substitute veggies or improvise off the recipe depending on what I have on hand, and everything so far has come out delicious.

I have never used any cookbook as much as I have this one! I'm actually surprised at how much I use it. A large part of that I think has to do with it matching my taste - hard to describe in a review, but what really makes it work for me is having ingredients on hand already. There is a list in the front for stocking your pantry, so if you can look at that, and if you already have most of those things, or like the sound of them if you are a new cook, you will most likely get a lot of use out of this book. There is a slow cooker section; I don't have a slow cooker but I do have a Dutch oven (everyone should invest in a quality Dutch/French oven, so worth it!), and there are notes on making the slow cooker recipes in a Dutch oven.

Also love the title, which is what drew me to this cookbook in the first place. Our daughter is 18 months now, but back when she was nursing around the clock, seeing this title almost made me cry - I identified with it that much.

I bought one other naptime cookbook, which I hardly ever use; the ingredients lists are longer, it's more gourmet and involved, and just a bit more intimidating. Debbie's is so friendly and easy, and everyday; I'm so glad it came out just when I needed it.