Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Fall Reading Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 101 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 127 reviews
on August 13, 2015
A really good deeply intense movie about a young girl, her sexuality and her strong willed family. I have seen this movie twice now and it can be so sad and so angering and rings so true in many lives no matter the color or the financial status of a family. A girl fighting to be herself while her strong willed mother wants no part of it. A father who is never home yet loves his girl no matter what the cost and still has a hard time realizing the truth. A trusted friend who betrays her feelings and her other friends who struggle themselves.

I cannot tell you how good this movie is by typing words... this is a must see for anyone coming to terms with themselves, or knows someone who is. This movie will break your heart and show you thing or two about life. One of the very best under appreciated and over looked movies about gay teens and the families that they grow up with.
on December 26, 2012
I loved everything about this movie (except one thing, which I'll get into later). The acting was great, the story was excellent and the direction was phenomenal. Adepero Oduye is an incredible find!! May this young actress have a long and illustrious career!

The one thing I didn't like was Kim Wayans' character. I thought Kim Wayans the actress was on her AAA game and I believe she is a criminally underused talent in Hollywood. But her character has to be one of the most unlovable, nonredeeming characters in modern cinema! No wonder her husband feels so free to be a bastard with her! I thought there was this one moment where she would soften and I'd see what motivated her, what made her tick. Nuh-uh! She remained a total enigma to me until the very end.

Anyway, if you haven't seen this movie, see it. I had never even heard of this movie until one of my facebook friends in England (!) posted the trailer.
on September 12, 2014
I wanted more. It didn't give details of why the parents were behaving the way they were or the backstory of her friend. It didn't clear up for me about her friend, was she in love with her? Or details on the friend the mom forced alika to befriend . But it was a nice movie and I liked seeing Kim wayans in a serious role. Although when serious I think of her playing the neighborhood gossip queen on in living color. "...you didn't hear it from me." Lol
on March 25, 2017
Powerful movie. Utilized for my gender studies course and students were very moved by the plot and the characters. Really reinforces the difficulties in coming out and challenges young people face; however, also has an uplifting "It Gets Better" kind of ending.
on March 25, 2014
This movie is so well-made, and so compelling - it falls into the category of my favorite movies of all time. This isn't the story of a lesbian and it's not the story of a black woman. It's the story of both - and neither one is pushed a the sacrifice of the other. I say this because it's important and captures the complexity of a queer woman of color's identity.

I was blown away when I first saw this film and have since watched it 3 more times with friends, and I find it amazing every time. I bought several of these as gifts for friends.

Kudos to Focus Features and everyone involved in this film (producers Nekisa Cooper and Spike Lee make it no surprise that this film is so well made and captures this teenager's complexity so well).
on March 16, 2014
I was hesitant to watch Pariah because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to relate to the black Lesbian experience as a gay black man. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I related to the film. The one thing I had wished I had known before I watched was that there was a father in the home. I don't know why I presumed that this was a single parent family. I mention that because Pariah defies pretty much every trope you can think of among coming out films.

The reason I have not given five stars is only because I feel the film wraps up too neatly at the end. It's a worthy ending, but it also sorta comes out of nowhere for me. I know this is not the kind of film which gets a sequel, but I'd sure like to see one!
on December 10, 2012
Everyone complains that there are not any really good movies that feature an African- American cast. Well this is one of them. Pariah is not just a good "Black movie". It is a good movie about the life and the coming of age of a teen girl who happens to be a minority. The entire cast was great, but Kim Wayans gave an Oscar worthy performance. I didn't think she was even capable of doing drama after seeing her all those years on In Living Color but she definitely killed it. I am so sad this movie did not have the commercial success that it definitely deserves.
on June 14, 2015
I was fortunate enough to go to a viewing here in Atlanta when it first came out. I took several friends who were not in the life, it gave them a chance to see and understand the pain of finding yourself and while maybe not having it all together just yet still having to deal with the pressures of trying to explain yourself. Kim Wayans, did that. I hated her by mid film. Showed great diversity for her as an actress. Would continue to watch and recommend this film.
on May 25, 2012
After seeing this at the theater, I rated it a must-see for all. Had to see again and share this story with friends. Heartfelt performance by Adepero Oduye. Who knew that Kim Wayans had all of that drama" in her. She needs an award for that performance. Many thanks to Dee Rees for giving us a special "gem" that inspires anyone that differs from society's expectations because we were "Born This Way"
on July 31, 2016
Great movie. If you are searching for a movie with a narrative that is not based on a privileged view of queerness (read that any way you want), then this is a movie for you. Yes, it's another coming out story of sorts, but not one that's really seen in the queer cinema narratives. So watch it.