BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Kidz Bop Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 11, 2011
I spent over $300 of Park Tool wrenches and tools, including this toolbox and several additional specialty bike tools.

The tool box has most of what you need for regular situations. You may need to get a few more but inexpensive tools like a Hex (Allen) balldriver wrench set, an 8 mm Allen Wrench, etc.

Unfortunately, some of the tools and wrenches included in this toolbox are built with inferior materials and workmanship. As an example, one of the bottom bracket damage the teeth of my bottom bracket and the tool got damaged too. After the fiasco, I went to a bike shop. The tool they have is way heavier which much thicker teeth.

My advice is that even when you will spend more money in the tools itself; buy professional grade tools and wrenches. Even if you have to buy them little by little. You will save money and many headaches by being able to do the labor yourself and avoiding spending money in new parts because your tools are low quality and damaged them.
22 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2013
This kit has everything you need to completely disassemble and reassemble a bike. Tools are good quality, and combined with the big blue book of bicycle repair you will never need to visit another bike shop as long as you have the time and patience. Only complaint is that its a bit pricey compared to other tool kits, but I previously had a cheaper set of bike tools, and after bending a pedal wrench and breaking a crank tool, I made the plunge and purchased this kit. Good stuff. No problems.
on November 18, 2010
I've heard good things over the years about Park Tools and when I finally decided it was time to fix up an old bike I had in storage, they were only tools I considered. I bought the Park Tool AK-37 Advanced Mechanic Tool Kit online through Amazon. It looked like it would have just about everything I could need. It arrived quickly and was stocked exactly as described. I was able to fully renovate my bike without any problems with the tools provided, with only one small exception. I had to buy a park tool adjustable wrench (any adjustable wrench or correct size regular wrench would work as well, but I wanted a wrench dedicated to that tool set) to be able to use the cassette tool. The tools are high quality and customer service from the company is fantastic (I broke blade of small screw driver they replaced w/o any problems). If you're looking to do any of your own bike repairs, this is the kit for you.
on May 29, 2013
I am a begineer bike mechanic and was looking for a kit to get me up and running quickly with a decent set of tools, and this kit does the trick quite nicely.

After reading some other review I was put off buying this with complaints of plastic tire levers and low quality tools. But having opened the case up for the first time and examining all the tools I am pretty happy with the build quality. Especially the tire levers they are made of very solid metal with a plastic/rubber coating to protect the rims.

NOTE: was looking at the product photo of the kit and they clearly have the cheap plastic tire levers in the photo on Amazon (May 2013) but I got heavy duty metal ones in my kit. Maybe Park tools has updated the box?

Before buying this kit I starting pricing out some of the individual tools and I think it's a fair price for this set.
on February 15, 2012
The sport of cycling is a new one for me. I am an amateur in every sense of the word. I never knew there were special tools for bicycles, but I soon learned I would need a set if I didnt want to pay LBS prices. I scoured the internet for different tool kits and advise about which tools to buy, and Park is the brand that came out on top every time.

I love this kit!!

I was nervous about spending this kind of money on tools, but I'm so glad I did. I have a few odds and ends tools from other companies, but none compare to the quality of Park.

The only negative I will give this kit is on the bottom bracket and cassette tools, it sure would be nice if they had handles attached to them. I have seen other kits with handles built on these tools and it sure seems like the thing to have, but it is still a great tool set for a starter home bike mechanic.

So far with this kit I have: installed new shifter and brake cable/housing, cleaned and oiled my chain, installed new rear derailleur, removed old square taper bottom bracket and installed new hollowtech crank and bottom bracket, and I have even trued my wheels! This overhaul at the LBS would have probably cost me at least the price of this tool kit.

This is BAR NONE the CHEAPEST price for this kit on the internet. Definitely worth saving your money for!!
on August 29, 2013
The tool kit is fine, but the price exceeds the sum of the 'necessary' tools. I use the word 'necessary' because if you're buying this tool set, you probably already own some of the basic items like hex wrenches, screw drivers and plastic tire-remover levers. Also, the tool box is cheap and adds no extra value.
I would suggest that if you're considering buying this product, do an inventory on the components that you really need, and see if you can buy them individually for a smaller total price.
on September 6, 2010
Another one for my husband's present. He felt really spoilt with this tool set. There are enough tools in the box to keep him busy for a few years of bike repairs for his hobby.

Not sure why there's the screwdriver set since that's usually included in anyone's regular tool set. The allen keys are in the tri set, which is a pain to use in tight spots. Wire cutter cuts really smoothly and easily. I haven't really had the chance to use most of the tools yet!

We had a small problem with the chain breaker the first time it was used. The pin broke under normal pressure, which was unexpected given Park Tool's reputation for quality products. The Park Tools service didn't let us down though. When we emailed them about the pin, they responded the same day and offered to replace the pin. Great service!
on January 4, 2013
Exactly what it is supposed to be. Everything the beginning home mechanic should need, and a great starter kit for anyone trying to become more than just a home mechanic. The quality of these tools is far superior to other kits, and only the screwdrivers could be considered excess, considering better companies make better screwdrivers for a cheaper price. For the overall price however, these tools are fantastic, and you can always create a better kit piece by piece as the tools are needed. This kit is more for the conventional cyclist, not really for the BMX or Fixed Wheel Mechanic, but you could always add those specific tools to this kit. I would recommend this tool kit to any aspiring mechanic, or home cycling enthusiast.
on March 15, 2011
I got the Park Tool AK-37 Advanced Mechanic Tool Kit and I love it. My wife and I own 2 Trek FXs and a department store Schwinn hybrid and so far, everything I have needed has been in the tool kit. Bottom bracket tools and everything. You can even remove the rear cassette. The only thing you might need is an exta cone wrench if the bearing cone and the jam nut are the same size on your bike. In my case I need an extra 15mm.

I have read about some issues about the chain breaker tool bending or something. I haven't used the chain breaker yet but I can't see this happening if its used correctly. Park Tools may have already fixed the problem with it.
on September 21, 2013
Recreational cyclist repair needs are covered by just about everything included in this set, I did add a cable puller and spanner set for older bikes. There are other sets out there for less but let's face it they aren't Park or Park Quality. I have been able to complete everything so far from simple adjustments to a rebuild of 80s classic. I would recommend to a friend and have, especially since I won't lend them out ;) All in all it is whats described. Watch you buy from there is a large price variance from one vendor to another! Happy cycling!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question