Top critical review
279 people found this helpful
I want to love the Parot Bebop Drone but it just won't let me...
on December 23, 2014
I bought the drone only - no controller.
It took me a few days to learn how to fly it with an iPhone/iPad because the box came with NO INSTRUCTIONS.
My first flight, which was indoors, consisted of it hovering for a few seconds and then it blasted straight up in the air so fast that when it hit the ceiling I thought it would come down in 20 pieces, but no only 2 ( the wireless panel on the back leg flew off). This happened to me two times, so I went outside.
Flying outside ended in several crashes because i could not steer it at all so it just floated into trees. Just when I conceded to pack it up and send it back, I got an email from the Parrot Drone Acadamy (after I registered it) and the email had 3 short tutorials on Youtube - THESE ARE CRITICAL to using the drone. I wish my box had a note in it that said watch the videos first!
Learning to Fly
After watching the pilot video I tried one more time to fly it and... Voila I had my first awesome successful flight after try #7. I now am thinking "ok, this thing does work, it's pretty cool". After spending a day with some decent flights under my belt I got more daring and tried to see how high I can go-- BIG MISTAKE!
Just when you think you got it
The Bebop loses wifi connection REGULARLY!!! Instead of hovering like it should, it starts to drift, and drift, faster and faster as it just FLIES AWAY!!! So now I'm running after it across the street and through the corn fields. As I'm running, I'm trying to go back into my wireless settings on my phone and reconnect to it - then go back in the FreeFlight app and try to gain control as it says "impossible to connect" over and over, all while running as fast as I can and looking up at the sky every now and then to see where its going... phew I'm tired. Maybe the Bebop is just a diet-plan in disguise?? Iv'e been running for about 300ft and I see it heading for large trees. I think this is it, the final flight. Just then, it stops and hovers about 30ft up and my phone connects! I quickly tap "Landing" and it comes down safely.
This is just the first five days. Sigh.
- The Bebop has a good design and the App to control it is very cool - if it worked 100% it would be really cool.
- The onboard camera is just ok. The claim of 14mp and HD video is a serious stretch. My Nikon is 12mp and looks WAY better than this 14mp camera - hell my iPhone is better quality and its lower resolution.
- If you use a phone/pad to control it DO not let it go very far from you and it will work as it should.
- Stay low most of the time.
- YOU CAN NOT TRUST IT so stay away from trees and water.
- The battery connector is a joke, its a floppy wire that has a little string on it and you have to try and marry the two up, it's the strangest thing I have ever seen.
- It is definitely strong, after many crashes it still works.