Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 76 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 97 reviews
on January 15, 2014
I originally bought this head unit at the start of 2013. I sold my car and the head unit with it, as a new car was on the way.

I thought I'd try something different, see if anything better was on the market. i bought a custom dynavin head unit to replace the original stereo in the new audi a3, and it was a piece of crap. terrible interface, slow, rubbish touch screen etc. the asteroid smart was sorely missed.

so i bought this unit again and i couldn't be happier. yes it does have its flaws but comparatively it blows the competition out of the water - unless you want to play cds... shouldn't be a problem for the intended market.

favourites
- the touch screen
- ipod software
- popular apps on the marketplace like spotify and tune in
- ability to sideload apk apps with ease
- quality sound output

things to improve
- remember to start on ipod on boot, rather than just land on the main screen. however a relatively recent software update now lets the unit start with radio on so it's not all frowns
- not having a volume knob can sometimes be annoying, but only for 3-4 seconds til you reach the media player. you learn to end up leaving it on the media player for quick swipe up/down for volume change
- native ability to re-size icons

do yourself a favour and buy this! installation is also a breeze, even for those who haven't got a lot of experience fitting head units. can't wait to see what Parrot delivers next.

Note: I'm from Australia, bought unit here on Amazon USA.
on August 11, 2014
Out of the box it looks sleek and don't get me wrong it's a nice upgrade, but without an external DVD/cd player you can say goodbye to cds and dvds. You can Bluetooth music from your phone from your music playlists or from 3rd party app like Pandora. The Android version is gingerbread, definitely out of date. But I rooted mine very easily just Google how to root and it makes the device way better. After rooting I was able to put Google maps on it the only thing is you need to connect to WiFi or hotspot to first load destination, but after it loads you can disconnect from WiFi and be on your way. So far so good as I find more features or problems I will update my review.

Update: had this product almost 3 years now all of a sudden it acts possessed. It changes radio stations, volume, menus open and close all on its own. It was a decent radio but now im gonna have to trash it since the 4 year plan wasn't available when i bought it and there's no way to fix it. Ive tried factory resets and it doesnt work. If anyone has had this issue please let me know if theres a fix for it.
on January 6, 2016
Love this thing. I set it up in my 350z and customized it to run normal apps like Google Maps and the Google market.

It's fast enough for being in your car but don't expect it to be a graphic powerhouse.

The best part is what you can hook up to it:
- You get a choice between RCA wires or standard hookup through your car stereo wires
- You can hook up a rear view camera or a front view camera
- You can hook up whatever USB devices you have
- There is a spot for AUX input

The only thing I'd like to see on this unit is if the little 'detachable' part had a volume meter built into it so that you can swipe up for volume up and down for volume down.

Also, don't be fooled by the "detachable" faceplate thing they say. I was. The only thing that detaches is this weird little part of the right which acts as a cover for the SD card slot. It has nothing to do with theft prevention like Parrot claims. No thief will look into your car and think "oh there's no little thing on the right... I won't steal that".... No they will still break into your car and take your 6 inch screen.
on May 17, 2015
Terrible product. Great Idea but bad hardware/software? Have to reboot at least twice a week. Sometimes it reboots itself it hangs on the boot even when car is off and gets hot. When it reboots itself there's a huge explosion of sound that scares the crap out of me. Tried updating the firmware but still buggy. I'd give 0 zero stars if it was an option. Going to replace with a Pioneer.
on September 28, 2014
The asteroid smart works well. It fits well even in an E46 BMW which is a difficult car to work with. I like that the asteroid uses android as its OS because android is open and has countless programs and customization options. Also, the asteroid has amazing compatibility. Parrot claims the asteroid will work with a wide range of phones including blackberry which is surprising. The asteroid works well with my first generation ipod video.
However, the asteroid has some annoyances. It constantly tries to sync with my S5's phone book every time I start my car. Maybe I can change certain settings to stop that constant sync. Another annoyance is the boot time. The asteroid takes a few moments to start up and then needs even more time to resume playing from my ipod. However, I think the start time for audio playback may be shorter when using Bluetooth streaming. The final annoyance is visibility in sunlight. The asteroid is hard to see when the sun is at certain angles.
In conclusion, I recommend the asteroid, but it does have some annoyances. However, i think the pros definitely outweigh the cons.
on March 17, 2015
Installed in my 2002 Mazda Protoge 5 in just a couple of hours (including taking the old stereo out).

Fast touch screen, good sound quality and navigational features (decided to buy the additional TomTom app in addition to the iGo app already installed).

I was very skeptical before buying this product, reviewing on line and comparing against other navigation systems. I wasn't sure about the quality of app's and whether the unit would keep crashing. There were obviously good and bad reviews and I came to the conclusion that most of the bad on line reviews were from geeks or people who like to tinker and have it do more than what is offered (which is possible by the way). I'm pleased to say, I took the leap and haven't regretted it. This thing is awesome! It's like having an android tablet permanently installed in the car :-) Audio/video quality is good considering it only plays compressed media (i.e. no CD or DVD player), and the navigation app's also work well. This is in addition to the great hands free phone app and wi-fi/bluetooth sync options.

If you're an average Joe or Joette, you'll probably be happy with the unit as is. If you're a geek and or tinkerer, you'll probably enjoy playing with this unit to get more out of it. If you're an audio buff or Android App geek, I think you'll like it, but will probably find yourself on the many forums complaining about this that and the other.

For me, I give this product 5 out of 5 based on my experience using it.

Great Job Parrot Asteroid Smart team!
on May 24, 2016
It's good if you want a good car stereo, but its terrible if you expect it to function like any modern android device, it's stuck on android 2.3 and gets very infrequent updates. I have had to root the unit and make some modifications to make the volume system more user friendly. The power button light started shorting out and flickering about 1year into use.
on December 9, 2015
Overall it's good.

Pros: Relatively good price (although that's becoming less true with more Android based head units hitting the market), solid preamp outs, bluetooth and ipod connections work fine, no more difficult to install than any other headunit.

Cons: Old Android version, old Bluetooth revision, not rooted out of the box, doesn't include the Play Store, limited number of apps in the Asteroid store, amp turn-on pop with every amplifier I've tested it with, included mic will not stay straight (the mount is flimsy).
on March 23, 2014
this was very easy to install, just bought a Subaru impreza to ISO harness, and it was basically plug and play, i haven't bought the unika steering wheel controller yet however it will be purchased soon.

the voice commands work really well and I'm very happy with the music playback quality, and bluetooth call quality is exceptional, quality of apps and settings are also great.

i don't like how long the unit takes to boot, and it has already had a few crashes, and if i don't plug my iPhone in before it boots it seems to take maybe 3 or 4 attempts to connect my iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1 via a cable, it basically keeps repeating iPhone 5 error, however once connected the unit works flawlessly.
on August 2, 2014
I am extremely satisfied with Parrot Asteroid Smart radio. I had a budget set for myself on how much I would spend for a radio. I could have purchased a more expensive unit, but I brought this based on its features.

The display is extremely responsive no lagging experienced at all. The features that are offered by the radio for the price are hard to beat.

Navigation, Waze, the iPod integration is very nice, voice command, syncing with your phone book and more great features!!!!

I installed a backup camera which really completed the package for me and gave my car all the features I wanted.