Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 105 reviews
on May 3, 2007
I'm sorry but I really do not see what was special in Martinez' *Parrot in the Oven* that reaped him some awards. I did not see anything special about the story. However, I do agree that Martinez does have a way with words. They were eye-catching and made you wonder.

*Parrot in the Oven* is divided into chapters that each one focuses on one particular topic. While there is a subtle storyline throughout, the overall picture is blurred. There's that "missing link" that prevents you from knowing each characters in the book. Simply, there's no depth other than with Manny.

The book is told from Manny's perspectives. His dad has lost his job. He simply goes to the local pool hall and spends whatever money he can find and gets drunk. The mother is constantly cleaning the house. His older brother is never home and constantly has a new job. His older sister is secretive. His baby sister is simply a brat.

Manny tells his experiences with school, White people, boxing, and the gang. Most of all, he tells how these experiences impact his family and their world-view.

*Parrot in the Oven* is an alright book. It's nothing that you'd go around and recommend this book to friends. Just simply ok. The only best thing is Martinez' ways with words.
on July 21, 2014
Martinez's writing is delightful and I was impressed by his ability to describe visceral sensations associated with typical emotions, like fear feeling like shards of ice or embarrassment like things sliding loose inside. His writing is poetic and visual and I would love to read more.
on October 12, 2014
read this for a class on adolescent literature and was really impressed with the author's poetic use of metaphor. reminded me of a lot of southern lit.
on March 15, 2016
I did not like the end ...
on January 9, 2016
Most grating voice ever on audio.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2015
Good book. My 9th graders like it."
on November 1, 2015
Great condition!
on December 31, 2013
Its a good book but it came in with scratches, idk it this happend to anyone else but by far it's good
on September 26, 2014
Excellent
on February 9, 2017
I was so excited to read this book after reading the back cover. It was talking about gangs and overcoming the pressure and rising above the stigma. I thought, yes, a book my students will actually enjoy reading because maybe they can relate. It started out ok, building the background for the character. However, after I was more than halfway done, I kept waiting for the excitement the back cover lured me in with. I never found it. Yes, it's possibly a good story but not what I was looking for. I ended up not recommending it to any of my students.