Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 428 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 520 reviews
on January 27, 2017
Prime Suspect is one of my favorite PBS series, and Helen Mirren is a genius. If you like portrayals of real people with real human behavior you can't go wrong with this series. The stories are told in a way that makes you believe that the scenarios are truly taken from real life and not just what someone thought you might like to see.
on May 17, 2016
It's always fun to see some of Helen Mirren's early days. As a police procedural, the show is focused on her developing character--she's got a lot of "baggage" so bit by bit you are there to figure out how her pieces fit--more so that with the crimes themselves. Each season is only two episodes long--each about 90m, so if you're determined you can see a season in a long evening. The exchanges between the detectives is subtle and fast paced so you need to really listen but that's what helps make this show a cut above many of the other crime procedural investigations.
on August 9, 2016
I've heard about Prime suspect for years, but have just begun watching it through a subscription to Acorn through Amazon. The subscription is extremely reasonable ($4.99/month). Have watched the first two seasons (which are only two 2-hr programs each season) and I'm enjoying it. Helen Mirren is terrific. Two hours per program is a long time, though. But I really do enjoy some of the British shows.
on May 10, 2014
In very few short statements: Five stars for main plot and the quality of actors' performance. Helen Mirren is splendid but others shine as well.

Not so many stars for inclusion of "side plots" that have nothing to do with the main topic, such as family life of the main character. This was well intentioned, I'm sure, and in principle made sense by placing main plot in the broader context but it was executed in such a way that it made the movie a bit too long and action too slow.
Five stars for directorial work, actors, four minus for screenplay.

Some reservations notwithstanding the film is very entertaining. Strongly recommended.
on March 9, 2014
The cast in this series is top-notch and the writing is excellent. Each episode has kept me interested and wanting more. I have always been a Helen Mirren fan, but as a rule do not watch series television. However, I took a chance with this series, and am so pleased that I did. The action and the drama are evenly paced and, the actors all seem to actually listen to one another and feed off one another in their interactions. I would highly recommend this series to anyone who enjoys a good police procedural with a some occasional intrigue thrown in for good measure. I am watching the rest of the series, and so far they are only getting better!
on May 5, 2014
This is a taught thriller, somewhat loose in the cops' den, that works because of Helen Mirren. Mirren plays a detective advanced to chief with a dozen or so subordinates who are still in that den of male superiority. Her predecessor, who had died of natural causes, was tied to the serial murder case she takes over. His old and best buddy seeks to protect and preserve the old ways, even hiding evidence that could advance the investigation. Despite her own driving ego, Mirren brings a moral code that begins to suspect the old boys but continues to give them the benefit of the doubt. Little by little, the indoctrinations of the old ways in the newer detectives lose out to Mirren's straight-forward style and this new team, following the new chief's lead, breaks the case.
on May 29, 2013
Prime Suspect is one of the most ground-breaking series ever produced. It made Helen Mirren's career, but if you don't know who she is, you will after watching it. I was not as thrilled with some of the later episodes but 2 and 3 are okay, and I loved the second to the last, which I believe would be #6, having to do with a war criminal. What people liked the most about the Prime Suspects is Mirren's interpretation of her detective, plus, the stories tended to be true-to-life with very few detours into unrealistic police procedure ... that only happened in the final episode, in my opinion. Episode 1's story is pretty timeless, and goes to show a lot about what the true criminal character can be, how professionalism wins the day and how things really work in a police precinct. If you're more of a Law & Order person rather than a CSI fan, you'll probably like Prime Suspect. And chances are you'll never forget detective Jane's crisp shirts and personality.
on May 23, 2015
Helen Mirren at her best! This is the best season of the Prime Suspect series. I"m not going to do a review on the season because so many others have done excellent reviews. My review will be on the instant video. This used to be free (the whole series) on Youtube which was great for my old laptop. Now I can't find full episodes on Youtube anymore. I was hesitant to buy this on Amazon since it is SD and we have an HD "smart" TV. This series is not HD but looks clear as an SD can. After the disappointment of "28 Days" in SD on my laptop and and the HD TV, I did not want to waste my money on another bad instant video. And Amazon does not refund if you are unhappy with the video quality. I am satisfied with the video streaming and can't wait until this is formatted into HD!
on August 13, 2016
I recently watched The Fall on Netflix. It concluded and I was searching for another show, The Killing, UK version with subtitles from Danish of Forbrydelse, but I could not watch it on demand. I remembered seeing PS as a suggestion during a search and I love Helen Mirren so the show was an instance go to for me. It is dated, but Helen Mirren still reigns as the Queen! I watched the first series and I am looking forward to watching the rest! If you like Brit Crime Drama also checkout The Fall, Broad Church and Outlander.
on May 2, 2014
Prime Suspect is an interesting series as are most of the British TV offerings in this country. This series is not another Downton Abby or Upstairs, Downstairs; it dramatizes today's world, the one we actually live in.
Helen Mirren is an actress I could watch in a variety of rolls, and the supporting cast gives added depth to enjoy.
Be prepared to sit and watch for two hours; each of the series is that long and well worth the time. This series is not another "one hour and the mystery is solved" program, but takes the viewer from start to finish, every painstaking step of the way towards the solution of a problem.