- Series: Bryson Series in Public and Nonprofit Management
- Hardcover: 368 pages
- Publisher: Jossey-Bass; 1 edition (May 26, 2015)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1118688406
- ISBN-13: 978-1118688403
- Product Dimensions: 7.3 x 0.8 x 9.6 inches
- Shipping Weight: 2.1 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (3 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,133,748 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Public Participation for 21st Century Democracy (Bryson Series in Public and Nonprofit Management) 1st Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the Back Cover
Activate the Democratic, Problem-Solving Potential of Citizens
Public Participation for 21st Century Democracy takes a detailed look at the fascinating past, frustrating present, and promising future of public participation. Covering both theory and practice, the book describes how engagement happensand how it could happen more effectivelyin the context of education, health, land use, and state and federal policymaking. The discussion strips away the false assumptions about citizenship and explores what people really want out of public life: problem solving, civility, and community. The book describes the many tools for productive participation, from the proven meeting formats to the latest apps, and discusses ways to embed them in how governance works.
- Track the evolution of public participation in the U.S.
- Discover how participation is crucial to our health, schools, and economy
- Learn how to match participation tactics to specific scenarios
- Understand the need for stronger participation infrastructure, and how to build it
Public Participation for 21st Century Democracy is a unique and important resource for anyone interested in creating smarter, fairer, stronger forms of democracy.
About the Author
TINA NABATCHI is an associate professor of public administration and international affairs at the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Syracuse University. The author of several book chapters, monographs, research reports, and white papers, her research focuses on citizen participation, collaborative governance, and conflict resolution.
MATT LEIGHNINGER is the executive director of the Deliberative Democracy Consortium, an alliance of organizations and leading scholars in the field of deliberation and public participation. With twenty years in the field, he has worked with public engagement efforts in over 100 communities, forty states, and four Canadian provinces.
Browse award-winning titles. See more
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?