Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 29 reviews
on April 11, 2000
I thoroughly enjoyed this collection, and saw myself--a true bibliophile--captured in many of the pieces. It is interspersed with fun cartoons (booklovers will want these on your bulletin boards) and lists that will make you think "what would my picks be for this list?". The two pieces by the editors also capture two different types of book collectors - the methodical, organized (maybe a little obsessive) type and the collector whose collection almost overruns his life, while expressing in a concrete way, his interests and passion for the subjects covered.
This book should be of interest to collectors of all types because it shows the devotion, the passion and the energy invested in accumulating something you love.
VINE VOICEon February 5, 2008
What a delightful little anthology that every devoted reader and collector should own. This book was my constant coffee-table companion for several weeks. I enjoyed sitting on the couch and reading an essay or story or list here and there. I really felt I could relate to the writers and their passion for books. My favorite essay was Rob Kaplan's "The Ritual," which describes his methodic routine of purchasing and cataloguing his books. I could relate to his meticulous practices, as I have my own specific methods upon attaining a book. Most enjoyable were the helpful lists, like "Ten Best Selling Books Rejected by Publishers Twenty or More Times," and "100 Great Novels in the English Language." These prompted me to get out my highlighter and evaluate what was I had read or what was in my library. This is the perfect book for all bibliophiles who, like me, can relate to Umberto Eco's statement that a library is a work in progress.
on August 3, 2015
Amazon put "A Passion for Books" on a list of books that I might enjoy.......I did not know that I suffered from "bibliomania" until I scanned through its pages and found myself and my penchant for collecting books had a name. I found myself in quite good company, loved all the pithy comments about owning and lending books, and realized I had not gone over the edge by finding it necessary to catalog all my books. I do use a Kindle for book club books that I did not or would not have chosen, therefore don't feel the need to add to my bookshelves. But I do have this overwhelming desire to collect books on various subjects, and when I travel, I always buy a local travel book of the country in which I am in, as I am a lousy photographer and these books are always beautiful. This book made me feel as though I had joined a very exclusive club. Thanks for the tip - Amazon. Pretty good marketing.
on May 16, 2015
This is a wonderful book for anyone who seriously loves books. There are some references and suggestions for anyone who wishes to collect books. It reminded me of the I stood in awe when I first entered the New York public library. This is a must read.
on November 2, 2016
I couldn't relate to the contributors or the essays. Into the donate bag...........
on April 17, 2015
A must have book for all bibliophiles and bibliomaniacs. The essays in the collection and the lists are wonderful!
on December 4, 2015
Great condition. Fantastic price
on May 1, 2015
I received this book within days of its purchase. Thank you.
on August 20, 2015
Nice as a gift given.
on November 7, 2014
This a delightful book for committed readers who enjoy all kinds of texts.