Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Passover: Celebrating Now, Remembering Then
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on March 25, 2010
Most Passover books focus on either the Exodus from Egypt or the seder ritual. This book attempts to do both. The format of the book follows its subtitle, "Celebrating Now, Remembering Then." The main pages of the book explain how Passover is celebrated, while fold-out pages tell the corresponding parts of the Exodus story. Large-print sentences give simple summaries appropriate for young children. The small print continues in more detail and uses the high-level vocabulary of standard haggadah translations. The text covers a lot of ground quickly, and seems intended not as an introduction but rather as a refresher for readers already familiar with Passover. The beautiful artwork is really what makes the book, and much is conveyed visually. Page borders of vines, flowers, and pomegranates display the traditional Jewish art style of ketubahs and illuminated manuscripts. The large fold-out illustrations depict the landscape of the ancient middle east. The violent parts of the story are portrayed graphically yet tastefully, gently nudging young readers to acknowledge the brutality of slavery and the miracle of redemption. Upon seeing these pictures, my six-year-old, who has read dozens of Passover stories, was struck for the first time that children were also slaves. My three-year-old found the burning bush visually arresting. (He also considered the fold-out pages to be lift-the-flaps, which helped the book hold his interest.) The upper age range of the book depends upon the reader's interest in art. I would generally recommend the book for ages four to eight, but I know that at least some of my fifth grade students would happily peruse these paintings, and I bought the book knowing that whether or not it was a hit with my kids, I would enjoy it myself.
on March 18, 2011
For the littlest kids who are just learning about Passover, this is the book. I have recently gone through a large stack of Passover resources, and my kids (ages three through eight yrs) liked this one the most. It is so nice because each page has a fold out explaining just one aspect of the seder (i.e. the kiddush cup). My kids had all heard these terms before, but got their questions answered about each little thing. THis is definitely the way young children think, and they will benefit from the format of this book. The pages are friendly, the illustrations are beautiful, and it ties what we do now with what happened then throughout the book, one by one.

The only thing i would suggest is that you get a good kids version of the Passover/Exodus story. I think this book is best for helping kids understand the connection between what happened and the celebration we conduct. But a good retelling of the whole story at once is probably also needed too. (My kids already knew the stories well from Bible study).
on May 22, 2010
Love this book and how it relates back to the first Passover in Egypt. And then compares then to present day and explains the signficance of the items on the Seder Plate. Love it! Great family book to read at Passover - fabulous for families with kids.
on May 22, 2010
Beautiful book. Wonderful connection from today to the past..bringing the holiday in to perspective.
on March 22, 2010
I was very disappointed in this book. I thought that it was for older children. THIS BOOK IS GOOD FOR TWO YEAR OLDS. They should have said something in the ads.